Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dustin Kensrue of Thrice Talks with Fuse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Thrice’s Dustin Kensrue spoke with Fuse about the band’s upcoming album.

I can totally understand anyone being bummed out on their favorite band’s new song or something like that, that’s totally natural and we’ve all been there. But what’s super strange to me is someone going on that band’s website or whatever social media thing and telling them, “C’mon guys, you can do better” or, “This is horrible, why are you…?” I can’t even fathom doing that, personally, and I don’t know if it’s because I grew up right before you could just say whatever you wanted to whoever you wanted. Is it just because of the access, or is there something else going on? Would those people have always not had an understanding of what is kind or polite? It’s just odd. I get not liking it. I don’t get you coming on and bitching about it.

I don’t think fans should be worried.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

So Jason you have heard this new album? I want details!!!

3. billcom6

Why does this interview say Artist in the Ambulance was their debut album?

4. Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  5. Pooch

Regular

I'm sure they meant major label debut.

6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

The podcast that riley was on was friggin awesome, i'm so excited for this release. This interview with dustin is great too. Thrice are absolute living legends. Can't wait for the next taste of the album. Fortunately i have the new deftones (which i think is amazing) to hold me over.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Riley on the encore podcast would be real legit. Make thomas interview. Maybe thrice will click for him then

Dirty Sanchez and Jason Tate like this.
  8. IceStationZebra Apr 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 16, 2016)
    IceStationZebra

Regular

I love how Jason is reassuring people that the album is good without actually saying it. Well played, Tate, well played.

I know that bands and labels want to protect the record from being leaked but why aren't bands making a killing during the pre-release weeks by securely sharing their new record with the highest of bidders?

Instead of only sharing the new Thrice record with members of the press, fans should be able to pay $200+ for early access to a secure feed where they can hear the record early. Activity would be logged/limited to a particular IP while a voiceover would identify whose stream it is in the event of a leak.

I'd pay $300 for this album right now, but once it comes out, I'll only be willing to pay the $10 I'm required to pay. Demand is at its peak right now.

I'd be more than willing to sign a NDA or any other legal document that says the band can sue me if I leak the record or say anything negative about it prior to the release date. There's money to be made in an industry where it's extremely difficult to make money still.

Bands, such as Thrice, can rightfully profit from fan impatience. If we're willing to pay it, then they shouldn't feel any shame by accepting that much.

What is stopping this kind of arrangement from happening? Why treat the release date like it's a sacred day when nobody buys records anymore?

For certain bands, there's gold in the streets; somebody just needs to come and scoop it up.

9. SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

Cannot wait for this. I am nowhere near prepared enough for the inevitable explosion of my being that will come with new thrice.

10. Pooch

Regular

Capitalism at its finest right here

11. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

The lack of face to face contact makes people feel like it's ok to be a dick to others, including bands .

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  12. Connor Apr 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2016)
    Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I just straight up don't understand the complaints about Blood on the Sand. I think it's far better than anything on M/m. I will always be excited by what these guys do.

Also Dustin is the best. I hung out with him for maybe 20 minutes after his solo show here in SLC last year, we spent the whole time talking about CS Lewis books. I was surprised, a few times I thought I should go and let him call it a night, but he kept the conversation going. Pretty awesome dude

NotBruce, KennedyBN and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  13. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Those Narnia books are amazing. Dustin seems like a real genuine dude. 2016 is just the best year for music right now. So much anticipation, it's unreal.

fenway89 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  14. Ska Senanake

Trusted

This is a very interesting concept and will most likely work, however a few thoughts. I think at this point smaller bands like Thrice (compared to say Lady Gaga), aren't signed to labels with the type of capital to want to take the risk of releasing a product offering where a legal team may need to get involved in a rather costly situation such as suing 1 individual who gets caught leaking the album early. It would be a mess. I think what may work is having the labels host private listening sessions where you pay 30 dollars or so to hear the album once all the way through. I know this is done already, but i could see this become more of a popular thing amongst smaller bands with a really loyal fanbase. It would be equivalent to going to the movies because a movie comes out on dvd or is available to the public. Like if i could go to an event, buy a glass of wine and listen with nice acoustic noise cancelling headphones to the new thrice album a month before its release, i would be very happy. I wonder what the market would be for this.

15. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

So many people treated Deftones this way after the release of their new album. So sick of the entitlement that comes with a person jumping on a band's social media to tell them that their art isn't good enough for them.

Always happy to hear from Dustin, though. Cannot wait for this record.

fenway89 and Jason Tate like this.
  16. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

caspian did this with their new album, but I believe it was free and they just had like 10 iPods people passed around at a gathering. was only in their hometown & in Europe, though.

fenway89 likes this.
  17. kevin v

Super excited for this album.

Dirty Sanchez, fenway89 and Copacetic like this.
  18. IceStationZebra Apr 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2016)
    IceStationZebra

Regular

The point of the agreements we'd sign in advance is to eliminate any such legal costs or proceedings as every case would be open and shut. The custom voiceover would also eliminate any such doubt.

But you made a great point as we're essentially waiting for the Blu-ray release without a theatrical experience even taking place.

If labels/musicians came up with a "theatrical" release prior to the in-home release, fans would get to hear the album earlier while everybody else makes more money. Everybody wins.

I'd be happy to go to a particular venue and listen to the album via my Bose headphones while the experience is supervised by someone from the label or the venue itself to prevent bootlegging (just like every moviegoing experience).

There has to be something as the record is just sitting on a shelf right now, waiting to be heard. This time period could be better utilized so bands/artists/labels can attempt to make up for the losses on record sales the last 15 years. This would be huge for bands like Thrice that are successful without being successful.

I'd literally pay $300 to hear the album right now. And yet, this antiquated model won't let me.

Vagrant: If you happen to read this, please message me and I'll make good on such a claim while signing my life away to you.

19. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Buncha dumb-dumbs. New song is dope.

20. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

the new song is so damn good, i dont see how an actual fan of this band could hate it enough to tweet at the band about it

21. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I should have gone, I live right near Beverly MA!

22. AllMyOwnStunts

Take_Apart_Your_Head

Cannot wait for this Thrice album, I wonder when we can hear a second new song.

fenway89 likes this.