Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, July 21st 2017) Movie • Page 27

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 4, 2016.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I'm surprised we didn't get more of cillian murphys story. Or did I miss it. From boat to boat we didn't see what happened

He went from a strong soldier to a freaked out one.

And we got all of everyone else's tail

2. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

It would've been a 4th story. He was probably floating there for days.

3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm dumb and didn't realize we had seen cillian in the movie before he was sitting there until someone here mentioned it a while back. Which is silly cause I spent the beginning of the movie being like where's cillian?! And I'd already seen him lol

4. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

I legit felt like I was going to have a panic attack for most of this movie. That's a compliment, I suppose. It's not flashy but the sound design, particularly Zimmer's use of the Shepard tone in the score, is just perfect. One of the most tense and visceral theater going experiences I've had.

5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Saw this for a 2nd time. I think it's my favorite movie of 2017 so far. The tension was still there the whole time, but a few moments carried a little more emotional weight. For example, when Mr. Dorset gets emotional and a little angry about going after the pilot who just landed in the water. On first viewing you don't learn until later that his son was an RAF pilot killed in action, 2nd viewing you sympathize more with his reaction.

6. Balder and Dash | Roger Ebert
    “Dunkirk” is a technical marvel, but Christopher Nolan’s ambitions run deeper. Abandoning the familiar language of most war and action movies, this is the tightest, most confident, most intense, and in many ways most idiosyncratic of Nolan’s films, and it’s all the better for it. But what will be most surprising to audiences is that while you’re fully engaged in the IMAX-sized set pieces that sometimes make you forget to breathe, “Dunkirk” blossoms in your mind’s eye, a new kind of film that can only makes complete sense within the infinite canvas of your consciousness. And in a trick that almost sounds like the plot of “Inception,” Nolan accomplishes this without you noticing it’s even really happening.

7. 'The Dark Tower' Tops Lowest Weekend of Summer 2017 Yet - Box Office Mojo
    Dunkirk finished in second with an estimated $17.6 million, dropping only 34% in its third weekend in release for a domestic cume just shy of $135 million. Internationally, Dunkirk delivered an estimated $25 million from 63 markets bringing its overseas cume to $180.6 million for a global tally that now stands at $314.2 million. Looking ahead, the film opens in Italy at the end of August followed by early September releases in China and Japan.

8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Looking at this weekend's releases, I wouldn't be shocked if it went to number one again.

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Happily saw this a third time. Ready to say it's Nolan's best film since '08

coleslawed likes this.
  12. Absolutely loved this, and so glad I saw it on an IMAX screen

13. jorbjorb

7 rings

Going to see this thing tonight.

aoftbsten and popdisaster00 like this.
  14. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I'll definitely rent this when it releases. I was afraid to go see it, due to the fact that I heard the sound mix was so loud lol

15. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

That's a reason you should go see it in theaters.

16. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I assume this will be getting a re-release around January, so I'll definitely make an effort to hopefully see it in IMAX then.

a nice person and coleslawed like this.
  17. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Also, I feel like I can finally do this, thanks to being a Blankie:

(1) The Prestige
    (2) Dunkirk
    (3) Memento
    (4) The Dark Knight
    (5) Inception
    (6) Interstellar
    (7) Batman Begins
    (8) Insomnia
    (9) Following
    (10) The Dark Knight Rises

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Lucas27

Trusted

Only seen Dunkirk once but after one watch I feel pretty comfortable about this:

10) Following
    9) Insomnia
    8) The Dark Knight Rises
    7) Batman Begins
    6) Memento
    5) Interstellar
    4) The Prestige
    3) Dunkirk
    2) The Dark Knight
    1) Inception

19. dlemert

Trusted

1) Memento
    2) The Prestige
    3) Interstellar
    4) Batman Begins
    5) The Dark Knight
    6) The Dark Knight Rises
    7) Inception
    8) Dunkirk
    9) Following
    10) Insomnia

The 3 Dark Knight films are pretty even for me, so the order of those always changes.

20. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

No thread is safe.

21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I personally think BB is the best of the trilogy. It's a lot more focused.

22. coleslawed and Turkeylegz like this.
  23. Lucas27

Trusted

24. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

Rank rank rank rank
    Rank rank rank rank
    Rank rank rank rank
    Rank rank rank rank
    Rank rank rank rank
    Raaaaaaaaaaaaaank!!!!!

Dirty Sanchez and DrAlanGrant like this.