Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, July 21st 2017) Movie • Page 26

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 4, 2016.

1. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

2. fame

i thought this was chorus.FM?? Prestigious

not nearly enough dead brits in this

3. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

Just got back from my second helping. Even better than the first, honestly. Some of the sacrifices made by these characters set in more this time around, knowing where their arc was going to end up before it was actually told. This is the best film I've seen in a long time.

If there is a critique that was more pronounced this time around for me it's that lighting fluctuated greatly between shots within the same scene. Once I started to notice it, it became very hard to ignore.

Small gripe, and something I doubt most would notice much on their first showing as they're trying to digest what's going on.

coleslawed likes this.
  4. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Best movie I've seen so far this year. Even better than expected.

Michael Qualiano likes this.
  5. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't really like this but I don't like war movies and I don't like Christopher Nolan so I don't know what I was expecting.

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

It sounds like this is doing better in its second weekend than The Emoji Movie. Awesome

aoftbsten, coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  7. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Harry Styles and Christina Aguilera in the two top grossing movies... My faves coming thru!! (Even tho I'd like to forget xtina is in that movie)

coleslawed and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Just saw this am.

Really really liked it. The cinematography in this film might give War For the Planet of the Apes a run for it's money.

Really loved that shot at the end where Tom Hardy's character is messing with his landing gear as he loses fuel.

9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Overall the character development is lacking, but you can tell that wasn't the movie Nolan was trying to make.

This was the war movie we needed right now though. Such a hopeful/uplifting ending.

10. BackyardHero11

Trusted

just saw this last night for Christopher Nolan's birthday haha. got to catch it in a 70mm screening. absolutely stunning, excellent film. the music was beautiful and also perfect at just driving home the intensity. the sound design really stood out to me as well. would really like to see this again.

11. Saw this in 70mm IMAX over the weekend, and it was glorious. The aspect ratio changing, and along with it the lighting, was a little distracting, but otherwise it was an incredible theater experience and cemented this as my favorite movie of the year so far.

12. This movie stressed me out! I really liked it

13. dlemert

Trusted

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the lighting issue. What was up with that? I'm guessing it's due to the switch between IMAX and regular cameras. There was one scene on the dock that was egregiously distracting.

14. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Solid effort but can't say I enjoyed this as much as others have and quite frankly it is the second Nolan film in a row that has underwhelmed after Interstellar. Far better war films out there be they based in real life or fictional which brings me to the second film I watched at the cinema today War for the Planet of the Apes which was a far better effort.

flask likes this.
  15. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This was excellent.

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Saw this at the Science Center today in a true IMAX (5-story) 70mm showing. First time doing that and it was incredible.

coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  17. michael_gatto

Trusted

Saw this today, really liked it but didn't necessarily love it on first watch. It's a technical marvel for sure, looks and sounds fantastic but it felt a bit incoherent. Will watch again, hopefully in 70mm.

18. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Movie was incredible. Saw it in IMAX yesterday in a relatively empty theater

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Hey, was it mentioned that this did, in fact, barely do better in its second week than The Emoji Movie? Because it did

It's like the good guys won you know

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

Christopher Nolan - Happy Sad Confused Podcast - MTV

Was this podcast posted already? Interesting insight in that he mentions how all his third acts have all these parallel action scenes that converge on each other and how he wanted to make a movie that jumps right into that third act intensity.

21. I'd say that worked. Haha.

fenway89 likes this.
  22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The whole movie had that same intense vibe I got from the scene in The Dark Knight where the ferries filled with prisoners and civilians were rigged to explode

23. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

What an experience this movie was. I loved it.

24. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I paid $10.50 on a Tuesday. I win.