Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, July 21st 2017) Movie • Page 21

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Just got done with round 2. Just as good the second time

2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Just got back from seeing it. It was alright. There were some parts where I was a bit bored but I liked the editing and the structure of the film. I didn't like it as much as TDK trilogy or Inception. Probably tied with Interstellar.

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

So jealous of everyone. I'll revisit this thread once I see it OnDemand in six months :(

4. kupe

Regular

This movie was stressful. I loved every second of it

5. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

This aged me by like 3 years.

6. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I get opinions and such... but how is any of this movie remotely boring?

Kyle is hk likes this.
  7. Kiana Jul 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 21, 2017)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Can't speak for everyone but I think some people interpret the lack of a lot of dialogue as boring. I've seen people downplaying the acting because they didn't have to say much, but I almost feel like it'd be harder to emote with just ur face. I'm not an actor but I feel like it's a different kind of challenging to have to be able to convey all that without words. like cillian barely said anything but I thought his performance was still devastating, as well as the other actors. I expected him and Tom to have bigger speaking parts just because the caliber of actors they are and being in the mindframe of a typical movie, but I thought they all did a great job

8. Dog with a Blog

I didn't realize Hoyte van Hoytema was the DP on this. Pretty cool. I haven't seen it yet but that at least guarantees it should be a visual splendor. Love his work.

fenway89 likes this.
  9. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Saw this today in 70mm. 9/10 for sure. Loved it, pretty intense throughout.

10. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Just got back from the theater. Wow. In one word: relentless. I've never seen a movie like that. Nolan has such a unique vision for his films.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  11. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

70mm IMAX was out of this world.
    This movie or Blade Runner are going to sweep the sound specific Oscars.

My only gripe is I don't see myself rewatching this. But I sure as hell was completely immersed.

12. Dog with a Blog

Did you see it at the IMAX in SF?

13. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

this was legit. prob my favorite nolan. lack of dialog is such a boring complaint.

fenway89 likes this.
  14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I liked this. Not quite as crazy about it as some will be, but it's very good.

15. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Some of the narrative threads and character arcs didn't tie up and intertwine as potently as the closing moments required, particularly with George and the civilian boat. Cillian Murphy and Mark Rylance were great, as were Tom Hardy and Harry Styles, though the conflict between Styles and that whole crew in the abandoned boat didn't play out to the potential it had. Overall it's very strong though. Very easily my favorite Nolan since Inception, his technique is as skillful here as it's ever been. The cinematography is expert, the slow pan from the lieutenant as he notices the civilian boats come in, and the camera movement reveals the masses of huddled soldiers behind him, was exceptional staging and blocking. I have no idea where the "practically a silent movie" talking point came from. There is more than plenty of dialogue in the film. It's economical dialogue, but it's certainly there. The 70mm looked very good but I wasn't as wowed by the format as I was for the 70mm screening of the Hateful Eight, I'm not sure if it was the theater I was at or the mostly dark, blue cinematography and lighting. But it did look great.

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I really really want to see this, but don't know when I will. Sigh

17. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Got my tickets for later this afternoon, incredibly hyped.

18. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Yep. The Metreon one. Not the century fake one.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  19. Dog with a Blog

Noice. Will be watching this tonight.

20. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Movie was visually stunning and intense from the get-go, and I loved it. IMAX viewing is completely worth it.

21. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Tom Hardy wore a mask, he crashed planes, and he watched the fire rise as he burned his plane. This is a Bane origin story.

Joe4th, beachdude42, Jusscali and 6 others like this.
  22. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Went to an early showing. Really enjoyed it. Dug there not being a ton of dialogue. Was definitely tense as hell.

23. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Fantastic film. Trying to understand how the timelines fit together was a little distracting, but in the end it didn't really matter and the whole final 20-30 minutes were just perfection

24. dpatrick23

Regular Supporter

This was one of the best movie-going experiences I've had in a long time

25. Kevin360 likes this.