Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, July 21st 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 4, 2016.

1. receivingsight

Newbie Prestigious

I saw the trailer in IMAX before Suicide Squad tonight and got so hyped for this.

2. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Was it the same teaser? Any new footage?

3. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

My bad haha

4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'm sold on Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy as it is.

coleslawed likes this.
  5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

No way! A 20 year OAR album is out!

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

tru

7. I'm certainly interested

8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 11.06.34 PM.png

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I love every film he's done other than Insomnia which I still enjoyed. Hopefully I'll love this one too.

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol Jesus that was supposed to go in the Frank Ocean thread. Regardless you should all know too

11. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

I view TDKR and Interstellar as missteps in an otherwise solid body of work.

While I expect Nolan to incorporate some twist, part of me hopes that he simply applies his visual prowess to the subject matter at hand. A beautifully-shot (and tightly-scripted, please...) war movie may be all he needs.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  12. joe727 Aug 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 5, 2016)
    joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

As a WW2 history buff i'm looking forward to this, In my opinion there hasn't been a really good WW2 movie in theatres since Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima came out in 2006.

Adrian Villagomez likes this.
  13. Damn, that last shot of the teaser is so good. I love Nolan's body of work thus far. Couldn't be more excited for this.

14. SpyKi

I remember not being excited for Interstellar for whatever reason and didn't rush to see it because I saw a lot of negative reactions to it but I loooved that film, ha.

15. Didn't like Fury? I thought that one was pretty good.

16. joe727

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good either.

17. I liked Fury. Do Inglorious Basterds, Ip Man, and The Wind Rises count? I liked all of those.

18. Welp, disagree with you on that one. (Then again, I'd also rather watch about anything than racist Clint Eastwood's movies, so I can compare it fondly there. )

19. SpyKi

I liked Fury a lot.

20. I also liked The Counterfeiters. Don't think any of the others I've seen recently were WW2.

21. Don't think I've heard of that one. I'll have to check it out.

22. While on my "fucking critics" rampage ... I think that movie will be looked upon far better in the future as well. I, also, really liked it. I think that there was an odd "Nolan-backlash" that was building because of the praise he had been getting, and that it turned into a negative reaction as a counter-weight to that praise. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that stays with this one too ... now I have a fun term to describe it too: Optimal distinctiveness theory.
    So what’s going on? One explanation is what psychologists call “optimal distinctiveness theory” – the way we’re constantly jockeying to feel exactly the right degree of similarity to and difference from those around us. Nobody wants to be exiled from the in-group to the fringes of society; but nobody wants to be swallowed up by it, either. In toddlerhood and teenagerhood, this manifests as a bloody-minded refusal to do what we’re told, precisely to show we can disobey our parents. Perhaps it never entirely goes away.

23. Joe likes this.
  24. joe727

I loathe Eastwood's political ideas, but I still love his two Iwo Jima movies. I could see how Flags of Our Fathers can be seen as racist due to the stereotypical depiction of native american veterans, I don't really see how Letters from Iwo Jima's sympathetic depiction of japanese soldiers while displaying the cold dehumanization of the japanese by american soldiers could be seen as racist.

25. Eastwood himself I think is racist, I dunno if the movies themselves are or not, I didn't see um.