Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dune (Denis Villeneuve, October 1, 2021) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Finished Part One of the book and all I can say is woooooooooooow. Also, can’t wait for Chalamet to become Space-Dr. Manhattan

coleslawed and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  2. bobbyblakem

I think this is my favorite book of all time? I also really loved dune messiah and children of dune. I read them all in a row a few years ago and had to take a break, might need to go back and read god emperor.

I think my favorite thing about Dune is that it's sci-fi but it's focused more on ecology, religion, and politics rather than technology (which most sci-fi tends to get bogged down in).

3. dlemert

Trusted

I haven't read Dune but want to, though I may wait until after the movie. Is it important to read all of them or am I good with just the first one? How many books are in the series?

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  4. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

first one is definitely essential reading. I thought the second one was really good as well, but very different. There are six total, though I think the first three form a trilogy. I haven’t read past the second one yet.

I’d recommend reading the first one before the movie if possible. There’s a lot of detail in the book that I’m sure the movie won’t be able to fully capture, and being familiar with the world and the politics and religion that impact the story may give you more appreciation for the movie.

5. Anthony_

Gotta say, there are so many terms in this world that it would probably really help to read the book first before seeing the movie: Bene Gesserit, Kwisatz Haderach, Muad'dib, Lisan al Gaib, etc. etc. etc. lol. It's going to be a huge challenge to teach audiences all that stuff in a natural way when you're watching it in a movie and not reading it in a book.

Maybevictor and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  6. drewinseries

Drew

Does the novel come with a glossary of people and locations?

7. Anthony_

I’ll have to check my version when I get home, idk. It all gets explained in the actual text, though, I’m just saying that when you’re watching a movie in a theater and you can’t immediately re-experience sections of the story to better your own understanding it can be difficult.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  8. flask

Trusted Supporter

I'll wear my Shai Hulud shirt to the premiere.

9. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Yeah I think this is the best way to describe it.

I am also curious to see how Denis handles this because the movie could turn out completely different depending on wether they take the time to set up some of these concepts or just assume that people are familiar with the story.

10. drewinseries

Drew

Fine, i'll read the book.

Throw it on top of all the holiday books I got gifted/gifted to myself.

Anthony_ likes this.
  11. Anthony_

Splitting the book into two movies will definitely help. Although I'm kind of wondering where they'll divide it. I'm only at the end of Part 1, and I guess that's a natural place to end a movie, but that's less than half of the length of the book. And I'm assuming a lot of stuff is going to go down in the rest of it lol. So maybe it'll end at some point in Part 2 of the book? I'll have to see as I get further into it.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  12. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Part 1 is the most natural break, but I think not enough happens for a 2 hr movie, and part 2-3 is too much for just one more movie, so I’m curious about that as well. We can speculate when you finish!

13. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Just don’t get overwhelmed by the size! It’s a much easier and breezier read than you’d expect.

14. dlemert

Trusted

Wait, is the movie going to be two parts? For some reason I thought they decided to keep it as one movie.

15. Anthony_

Two movies plus a prequel television series focused on the Bene Gesserit

16. Anthony_

Gonna be truly wild to see Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho and Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck

coleslawed and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  17. Anthony_

Also @Ferrari333SP the release date is December 18 now I think, isn't it?

18. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Great casting - most curious about the visual style and character designs. The concept fan artwork is cool to look through

19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

20. Anthony_

21. Anthony_ Jan 12, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 13, 2020)
    Anthony_

Ok so despite the fact that the amount of books I’ve read in recent years has decreased dramatically, I couldn’t put this down and didn’t let myself get distracted by tv/video games like I have with other books I’ve tried to read and not finished in the last few years (looking at you, IT). I was worried I’d procrastinate and not get it done despite literally having all year to do so, but I wound up finishing it in less than a week. And I loved it.

As to where they could split the movies, I almost want to say that the most logical place to do that would be at the end of Part II. I think that stopping right before the 2-year time jump makes a lot of sense. The only problem with that is that you’re basically left with only 1/3 of the book for the second movie. But I think they could still do it by showing some of what happens in those two years, showing more of the Fremen’s conquest of Arrakis before the final showdown in Arrakeen, doing more character-building for Feyd-Rautha on Giedi Prime, more character-building for Chani, etc.
    But that still leaves the first movie to cover a lot of ground in (hopefully) ~3 hours. And even with more elaboration of stuff the book glosses over, the second movie would probably only come in around 2 hours without overstaying it’s welcome.

I just don’t know where in Part II it would make sense to stop as an alternative, really.

sawhney[rusted]2 and coleslawed like this.
  22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed, Ferrari333SP and Anthony_ like this.