Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dune (Denis Villeneuve, October 1, 2021) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Feb 1, 2017.

1. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Is this going to be one part or two?

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I personally haven't seen any mention of this being split in parts, but I assume, if this does well, that the studio would be open to continuing the story

3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Oh they’ve confirmed multiple times it’s two parts.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  4. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Thanks. I'm weary of googling things myself to avoid spoilers, I already read one big one. I'm 100 pages into the book. I'm going to try to finish before the first trailer.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  5. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I’m debating whether to read Dune or Wheel of a Time first, since Ill probably die before I read both

6. GBlades

Trusted

Arguably Dune falls off a little quicker than Wheel of Time. I do not recommend any further reading for Dune at all but the first few books are incredible.

coleslawed and Brother Beck like this.
  7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

DUNE

8. sawhney[rusted]2 Dec 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2019)
    sawhney[rusted]2

I’ve watched a few videos that have been describing Dune and it’s themes, Herberts background and how tough it was to get made/published, as well as some of the lore behind it so I think it’ll be an easier read than if I didn’t. Haven’t done an audiobook but might try it for one of these

I also read the first book in the Book of the New Sun, which was very insular similar to Dune, so I think I’m prepared!!

Brother Beck likes this.
  9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Just out of curiosity, where do you think the Dune series falls off...? I remember thinking the whole series was really good, but it was many years ago when I read it and I only read the series once.

Also, I only read the handful of books written by Frank Herbert, none of the stuff by his son and the other author or anything like that.

10. GBlades

Trusted

Don't get me wrong, I like his books. I should have specified it was the ones with Brian Herbert and whoever I didn't like. I think I remember not really getting into God Emperor. Although, I might have been overwhelmed from binging it.

Brother Beck likes this.
  11. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

For what it’s worth I thought Dune was a quick read despite its length. After the first third the pace picks up and doesn’t really let up, for me it was hard to put down.

Brother Beck likes this.
  12. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I just kept going after the first book and kinda did the whole series of books written by Frank Herbert this way. I was really caught up in the story and Herbert's writing and remember loving the whole series. But I've never gone back and done a re-read.

* Edited to add that I think I may have read the first book Dune once before this when I was very young.

13. sawhney[rusted]2

I finished the first book (up to Book 2, Muad'dib) and that scene in the tent will be beautiful and devastating.

So far, I think this will translate well to the screen. I'm surprised by Herbert's style, where he doesn't get bogged down in the intricacies of describing the scene, and lets the dialogue be the main driver. Makes the high concept easier to digest, and is an easier read than I was expecting. This is making me very excited to see the film!!

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

741B8216-AC94-4733-A920-D62417DDCA79.jpeg

Can I do it in time for the movie? Stay tuned to find out.

16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yes

Brother Beck likes this.
  17. sawhney[rusted]2

Yes - it’s surprisingly an easy read

Brother Beck likes this.
  18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Brother Beck likes this.
  19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Damn I love that paperback cover

20. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, that paperback cover is absolutely gorgeous. Looks like I'm picking up another copy of Dune.

This is absolutely my most anticipated movie.

21. sawhney[rusted]2

They have the entire series with that kind of cover! Really gorgeous series

Brother Beck likes this.
  22. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

just wrapped up dune messiah and now I’m debating if I take a break and read something else or keep going.

Brother Beck likes this.
  23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Oh no. I'll have to get them all then! For some reason Dune is a series that I never went out and got versions in all the same style. The first book is like a mini hardcover I got from some sort of book club for young people back in the pre-internet days, and then the rest of the books in the series that I have are variously sized soft covers with all different styles of 70s looking artwork.

24. sawhney[rusted]2

Luckily the paperback version in this style are realively cheap ($9.50 per book) so it shouldn’t destroy your bank account haha

coleslawed and Brother Beck like this.
  25. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious