Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dune (Denis Villeneuve, October 1, 2021) Movie • Page 49

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I found somewhere that another scene with Dr. Yueh, where he speaks more about his wife and the situation she was in, was cut from the final edit of the film

2. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

If anyone here is diving into the book(s) now after watching the movie, just thought I'd let everyone know that for the last year and a half my friend and I have been doing a podcast called Dune Dudes where we discuss all six Frank Herbert novels in order, 5 chapters at a time. If anyone's interested you can find it on any podcast platform or here. And we literally just put out a 5 hour episode of us talking about the movie. So give us a listen if you like dumb idiots talking about Dune!

I'm so happy people love the movie so much, because it really is tremendous. It's a really brilliant adaptation that imo gets everything right.

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I think they did what they had to do with Dr. Yueh, they really drove home that he was not happy or proud of what he was doing and that he was still truly loyal to the Atreides family in the end.

Cutting out the whole conditioning aspect of his character also lessened the need for them to build up his betrayal as a truly momentous event.

ChaseTx and Professor Plumbob like this.
  4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Downloading it nowwww

clockwise likes this.
  5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

6. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Yeah its fine and it only doesn’t work as well when you compare it to the book, which was all I was doing. It’s just kind of easy to be like well why didn’t Dr. Yueh know his wife would be killed anyway considering the source and why wasn’t he suspected whatsoever. In the movie you can chalk it up to the usual he’s just kind of a weak character but in the book the pov scenes and the conditioning and breaking of the conditioning make it make sense and adds to the layers of plans and counter-plans that help make the story so compelling.

7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I wonder how many filmed scenes Denis actually had to leave out of the movie; I'm guessing it was a fair amount.

8. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

I’d be down for a director’s cut
    B-)

9. Release a 3.5hr Villeneuve Cut exclusively on HBO Max, then release it again in black and white, THEN release it on DVD/BluRay but don't market the physical release

Professor Plumbob and GBlades like this.
  10. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Dan Quinlan and Ferrari333SP like this.
  11. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Just finished it. I’ve never read the book and I made sure to know as little as possible about the story before watching it. I thought it was a solid film. The acting, of course, is phenomenal. The costume designs are top notch and the set pieces were visually very well done. The last third of the film did drag a little bit for me, but the last 10 minutes brought it back up to make me excited for part 2.

8.5/10

12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Professor Plumbob and Jason Tate like this.
  13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Look at this shitty ass review I found:

"For those who recall director Villeneuve's "The Arrival" or "Blade Runner 2049," his new version of "Dune" looks very familiar. Whereas the former was foggy, the latter smoggy, his Dune is a sandstorm of sepia-toned half-hewn shapes. It looks as if a black and white film were immersed in tea. His world building can't be considered a success since there's a sameness of tone; it's hard to distinguish between his worlds and civilizations.

There are a few holdovers from David Lynch's failed Dune effort; the huge Guild Highliner is again a big cannoli. The fremen are familiar too. The rest seems recycled from Villeneuve's earlier efforts. Spacecraft look like repurposed potatoes, or a discarded brick. The spacecraft from "The Arrival" seems to have stopped by. Brutalist architecture abounds - just as it had in "Blade Runner 2049." Dull aesthetics aside, the problem is that Villeneuve's worlds don't look lived in; they look stark, with no clutter or disorder.

As long as epic cinematic battles occur - with vast armies engaging in hand-to-hand combat - wise directors would be advised to strongly distinguish between them. Yes, I am griping about Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" films. Even a difference in albedo would be nice; that is, one side wears shinier stuff than the other. Dune's combatants wear undistinguished and all too similar spacesuits/armor.

Frank Herbert's son, Brian Herbert, is the official keeper of the Dune flame, and an advisor to Villeneuve's film. That is another problem; whereas the father created a computer-less civilization in order to emphasize the use of human beings as the ultimate tool and weapon, his son is a technologist. Why would the combatants wear armor when they wear personal shields? Perhaps this is why no Dune effort on film or television ever mastered the image of the dreaded Sardaukar. Their toughness and training distinguished them, not their equipment.

Many Dune fans might be disappointed by this film's ornithopters. The ornith- prefix means "bird." Actual ornithopters have wings which copy aspects of bird wings. Villeneuve's flyers are based on dragonflies. Insectothopters, anyone?

We shouldn't treat Villeneuve too unkindly; at least this is an earnest, understated Dune effort. So understated that it's bland. The only powerful image is the typography of Dune itself. It consists of only four crescent shapes, but is dynamic. If only the film's design were equally effective."

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Very solid streaming results; will benefit hugely from rewatches as well. Best dual theatre/Max release of the year so far

16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

mescalineeyes and xapplexpiex like this.
  17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

According to this interview, they did film a scene of Josh Brolin singing, but Denis painfully had to cut it out of the final edit

18. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I did not enjoy Green Knight at all; still trying to get its bad taste out of my mouth

20. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Godzilla vs Kong had 3.6 million viewers the weekend of its release so wouldn’t it be above Dune in that regard? Dune made about $9 million more at the box office though so they kind of cancel each otherout, I guess?

21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

That did $48 million over 5 days in theaters, whereas Dune did $40 over 3 days. It did have better streaming numbers though

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

it was really nice that the worm made his presence known like 50 miles away

23. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

In the book it was 45 miles away. Boycott this trash film.

Cameron likes this.
  24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Idk if I’ll ever not see a movie available in imax any other way again. Jesus.

also, momoa and Sharon Duncan-Brewster just fucking EATING, huh?

Professor Plumbob likes this.
  25. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Idk if "filmed for IMAX" is just a marketing thing, but I've seen a few in Dolby and that's been better. But I know nothing about specs so idk!