Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dune (Denis Villeneuve, October 1, 2021) Movie • Page 32

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

something like the length/packing of the Dark Crystal would have been fantastic for the first book

coleslawed likes this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Obviously none of us have seen the movie yet but reading David Ehrlich's negative review it just seems like he's firmly in the "Dune is unfilmable" camp and reviewed the movie accordingly.

4. Night Channels

Trusted

Didn’t Ehrlich give Get Out a “meh” review?

5. Night Channels

Trusted

Ehrlich gave The Tomorrow War a better grade than Dune.

coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.
  6. Anthony_

I generally like Ehrlich, I'm not trying to attack him, it just seems like he thinks the book is fundamentally unfilmable based on how the review is written and the problems he had with it. Honestly I kind of think it's unfilmable too, even as a tv series, because a lot the characters' interiority is necessarily going to be lost in the translation from page to screen and that is an extremely important aspect of the book. I just don't know if I would personally go about reviewing the movie they did make from that position.

Again, though, this is just my impression based on what he wrote, we obviously haven't seen the movie yet.

7. Night Channels

Trusted

He also liked The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard more than this.

Let me close this tab.

8. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

I think instead of naming scores Ehrlich gave random movies that have nothing to do with each other, it is much more useful to note that Ehrlich is not a massive fan of Villeneuve films in general. I think the most he has liked one of his movies is Prisoners, which he gave 3.5/5 on Letterboxd. That being the case, it makes sense that he would not love Dune, esp. if (as it appears) he's a fan of the books and was hoping this would be a deeper exploration of its themes, which based on all the early reviews it seems like this is not. It's fine that he doesn't like it! He was probably never going to.

In this scenario, even though I generally like Ehrlich more, I find Justin Chang's review to be more helpful, because he's generally positive on it despite his review calling Villeneuve "a filmmaker more dependable than he is interesting," which I could not disagree with more.

9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I often disagree with Ehrlich, though he's a great Twitter follow, but I trust his word more than Showbiz 411, AwardsWatch and Den of Geek. Justin Chang is also very reliable.

10. Anthony_

11. Anthony_

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

have never liked ehrlich, this isn’t making me regret that!

13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

14. flask

Trusted Supporter

Ehrlich's Godzilla v Kong review was so funny. "God what happened to movies." like chill out dawg it aint a big deal.

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

This is definitely getting pushed huh? Seems it’s too close to push, but I reallllly hope I can see this in theaters next month with other vaxxed brethren.

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

No way they're delaying the movie at this point

beachdude and I Am Mick like this.
  19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It’s already in ads for HBO Max. No way they’d delay it now.

beachdude and I Am Mick like this.
  20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Lol zero hbo max movies are getting pushed.

21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Welllll then I’m glad I’m wrong

22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Also I totally forgot this was coming to Max

23. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

When Fellowship of the Ring came out we’re the initial reviews split?

24. TomG

Trusted Supporter

A lot of the negative reviews I’m seeing are also around how it’s only half the story, so while technically amazing, not a full arc. I loved the book so I’m ok with it being the first half. If they make a second, people can watch them together at that point for the full first book view

25. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I don’t quite remember because I was only 9 when it came out but going by it’s rotten tomatoes score and a very rare 92 on metacritic I’d say it was pretty much loved by everyone including the first initial reviews.