Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dune (Denis Villeneuve, October 1, 2021) Movie • Page 30

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Seems like Denis is pretty confident in the 2nd movie happening

SpyKi likes this.
  2. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Had no idea this was going to be split into 2 parts. I just finished the book. I thought Duncan Idaho would be a bigger character based on all the trailer time? Feel like he was a minor character. Loved it but feel like I need a break from the world before diving into the second book.

aoftbsten and Ferrari333SP like this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

We’re not getting part 2 lol I’ve already accepted it

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

IMO, I think chances of getting it are at 75%. With the high budget this has, and the insane cast it's stacked with, they're going to market the shit out of this the next few months, to ensure it's as successful as it can be. People are hungry to get back into theaters, as we've seen lately, and October is a successful month for most films, so I really don't see this being anything other than a success

Blade Runner 2049 basically just had Ryan Gosling to market itself with (with a little from Harrison Ford), and being a sci-fi sequel to a film released decades ago, it didn't have the time to build up/explain the story to people brand new to the Blade Runner universe. Dune has waaaay more going for it than BR 2049

7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

sorry Denis but my bathtub is a nice, private and relaxing space and I don't have to worry about all the other piece of shit speedboaters distracting me or potentially killing me

I've said it a few times in this thread but I really feel like people are overestimating the general publics enthusiasm for Dune. That, and with the pandemic, I would be surprised if this DIDN'T bomb

8. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

It's admittedly not a perfect way to gauge future movie popularity, but based on Google search trends, the only big blockbuster release in the next few months getting more online chatter than Dune is the Venom sequel. And Venom had the advantage of having its first real footage drop recently whereas the first Dune trailer dropped like a year ago. So unless you think all movies are going to bomb in the current environment, which I guess is possible depending on how Delta goes the next few months, I don't see any reason Dune should be singled out as a potential bomb, especially if reviews are as good as I'm expecting them to be.

(I could only fit five movies in the comparison at once but I tried it with others like Halloween Kills and it was basically the same, a big spike when footage first drops and then a tapering off to levels below Dune and Venom)

9. Anthony_

Dune also just dropped a new trailer recently, though.

But yeah I think people here have been projecting their own enthusiasm for this movie onto the general public. I’m just as excited for this as anyone else but I recognize that it is really not a mainstream crowd-pleaser in the vein of like a Star Wars. It’s closer to Blade Runner 2049 in terms of tone, and we know how that turned out under non-pandemic circumstances.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  10. Slangster Aug 18, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 18, 2021)
    Slangster

It did, and there was a spike when that happened. But let’s not pretend “some new footage” gets the same amount of hype going as “the first look at any footage of a film whatsoever.” People are always going to be more excited for the latter for obvious reasons.

11. TomG

Trusted Supporter

I worry about it debuting on HBO Max too might limit revenue for the studio to recoup production and the ton of marketing that will surely go into it.

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it isn’t just us projecting our excitement lol. the box office prognosticators we’re projecting this to cross the billion threshold before COVID. obviously covid changes that but you don’t go from that to being a total cult movie that ends up being a box office failure

Slangster likes this.
  13. Slangster

It might limit traditional box office numbers a bit yeah, especially after the first weekend, but unless HBO Max decides to start sharing numbers about how many new subscribers the movie pulled in, etc., I don’t know how to judge if that move is good or bad.

It seems like a lot of movies doing this (like The Suicide Squad) had poor second weekends but…. this has been happening since like May now, and if the strategy was clearly not making them money, studios would simply change the strategy again, right? I don’t know.

14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

at least big studios will presumably keep letting him do his thing - at this point hes made a large handful of fringely popular movies that dont perform well at the box office (i think). im guessing his movies perform extremely well on streaming by contrast.

15. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I thought Sicario and Arrival both did well at the box office. Am I wrong?

16. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

youre probably not wrong i dont actually keep up with those stats - i just know the publicity is that some of his stuff doesnt penetrate mass appeal into box office profit, most notably blade runner. i do know enemy and prisoners seemed a bit left of mainstream as well considering the distributors involved.

looks like sicario made a pretty small profit at box office

17. Anthony_

Sicario made $84.9 million worldwide on a reported budget of $30 million.

Arrival made $203 million worldwide on a reported budget of $47 million. Huge hit, also I'm sure it got bump from all the Oscar nominations it got that year.

18. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

ah youre right i was looking at us box office only $10 mil profit

19. Ferrari333SP Aug 18, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 18, 2021)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I think the stacked cast of this alone will give the film a lot of momentum; plus, when all the actors appear on talk shows over the next few months, that will generate even more buzz. Then factor in the buzz from all the (expected) positive reviews and praise the film will get, and that rubbing off onto the rest of the film-going public. This won't get anywhere close to bombing like Blade Runner 2049 did.

phaynes12 likes this.
  20. phaynes12

yeah this cast has much bigger draws alone than BR2049, which it should be stated is an A+ movie

coleslawed, jkauf, SpyKi and 3 others like this.
  21. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

bigger than Gosling and Harrison mf Ford!? hmm

22. Anthony_

Yeah 2049 had a pretty stacked cast, Gosling, Ford, Bautista, Robin Wright, etc. But Dune's is way more stacked for sure.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. phaynes12

yes? i didn't say BR2049 had some indie small time cast lol. but the dune cast has undeniably more starpower.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I need this movie already

25. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

This has generational appeal so it should be huge pending covid doesn’t nuke the box office

Ferrari333SP and Cameron like this.