Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dune (Denis Villeneuve, October 1, 2021) Movie • Page 28

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Feb 1, 2017.

1. J12

Trusted Supporter

I absolutely cannot wait for this. I love everything Villeneuve does.

2. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Yeah but the script sucks

4. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Pretty stoked that I know absolutely nothing about this world and story going in. I have the book. Should I read it before watching the film, or would the movie be a good enough introduction? Not sure I'll get to have a cinematic experience like this again in my lifetime, but the book would of course be the full story with no compromises.

5. Definitely read the book

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah especially considering the second movie might never get made, everyone should just read the book before seeing it

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I'd put chances of a sequel at 90%

8. Anthony_

I’d put it at 50% or lower

9. Brother Beck Jul 23, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 23, 2021)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I hate even talking about it, because I do think that person brought up a valid point where it feels like all of the discussion around this movie is focusing on it's box office performance and nothing else.....

.....buuuuuuut also it is a fact that this looks to be an insanely expensive adaption of only part of Dune with the second part's existence riding on the box office performance of this one. They are kind of asking for it.

In my ideal world, this movie will be a massive financial success and we'll get to see the sequel, but I think realistically I put it at about 50/50 odds right now more like what Anthony is saying that we ever get to see the second part.

Back in the day whenever people would refer to The Lord of the Rings books as impossible to adapt for the screen, in my head I always said no, that would be Dune. LOTR is a pretty straight forward story and never struck me as overly difficult to bring to the screen. Fantasy just hadn't been taken seriously on screen in a few decades. The trick with LOTR was just treating the story with respect and getting someone to foot the bill. With Dune, yeah there is the Paul storyline, but the book is so much more than that. I don't know how a lot of that stuff gets brought to the screen in an entertaining way that makes for a good movie, while simultaneously giving the moviegoing masses what they want out of large blockbuster movie.

Blade Runner 2049 is one of the greatest sci fi films in decades and one of the best sequels ever made, and nobody went to go see it in the theater. This movie very well could he a huge financial success, but it is by no means a slam dunk that this is gonna connect with audiences on the level that it needs to.

10. Anthony_

I remain extremely worried that this movie won’t connect with the masses. Especially given it’s already starting at a disadvantage like every movie is now with COVID. I was already fearful it would be a huge flop prior to the pandemic, now I’m even more concerned.

11. Anthony_

Also the reason why everyone keeps talking about it in terms of the box office is because *we all want the sequel to get made*. It’s not that hard to figure out lol

12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

how do streams get figured into box office stats? they dont do they?

13. Should have shot it back to back ala LOTR

coleslawed and imthesheriff like this.
  14. Anthony_

they were going to originally

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

stayillogical likes this.
  18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

yes… i mean no! NO!

coleslawed likes this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

How different will this novel be from the original?

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it's the same book with a new cover which they do all the time
    [​IMG]

24. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

imagining the gall of someone trying to do a novelization of the film

25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I mean, I know we already all knew this, but seeing them all smushed together like that really just reinforces it: this cast is STACKED.