Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dune (Denis Villeneuve, October 1, 2021) Movie • Page 21

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Feb 1, 2017.

1. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

To be honest changes like this would have happened eventually. The awful handling of the pandemic just accelerated the transition to the home screen.

beachdude likes this.
  2. Morrissey

Trusted

That is the thing; they are basically an antiquated tradition. Why drive somewhere to watch something when you can do it at home? It is like a public payphone or the yellow pages or asking for directions at a gas station.

Victor Eremita, kyle and TSLROCKS like this.
  3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

this is so funny to me, haha.

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

doesn't make it better though

5. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

hasnt the international box office been growing year after year (ignoring 2020 ofc). I find it odd to say its a "dying" medium when it was only making more money than ever

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah personally I find it really hard to watch movies at home because I get easily distracted and it's perfectly reasonable for filmmakers to value the film experience, but yeah the chains studios and streaming services are all not our friends

blast0rama, imthesheriff and Anthony_ like this.
  7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

From a practical perspective, you're right, theaters are essentially a bottleneck to delivering content to users. But the theater experience is still something I find valuable. It provides a sense of immersion and an escape that can't truly be replicated at home for most. Of course, personal preference can't justify the continuation of an outdated business model.

Yes, but it's been concentrated on fewer and fewer films. This is why I would think the Disney's of the world will still want theaters in some capacity. They'll still want that $2.8 billion they can squeeze out Endgame like films before they go to streaming. But then what happens to smaller theaters is an issue. I value that experience the same for the big blockbusters that same I do for a film like Portrait of a Lady on Fire. But is there a big enough market of people like myself to justify having those in theaters at all? Alamo is the only chain I can think of which seems to value the experience and could stick around. But even, then they still need the revenue from Marvel's and the Star Wars movies to survive. I think the most likely scenario is that we end up with studio owned theaters for the big blockbusters and that's essentially it.

blast0rama, beachdude and matthaber like this.
  8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

At the time it was so irritating. But in hindsight, it is hilarious. I want to know what that man was expecting from the movie. Does he do this for every piece of entertainment with morally dubious characters? Or just when anything bad happens? What was his reaction when Bambi's mom was shot? I'll never know. I can only imagine.

SpyKi likes this.
  9. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

Yeah maybe its just cause i live in Toronto a massive film city, but i def do think there still is a market for smaller in theatre experiences, as seen by lots of those movies like portrait doing well in box office relative to their budgets. My optimism makes me think a more shift to studio owned theatres would cause a boom of more independent theatres, but that defiantly is only sustainable in big cities and not more rural areas.

aoftbsten likes this.
  10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

i find watching at home is way less distracting though. I’m by myself, I turn my phone off...I’m in the zone.

In a theater I’m constantly worried every person getting up to go to the bathroom is actually just going to shoot me.

11. atlas

Trusted

the best moviegoing experience I ever had was actually last year. Me and my friends decided to go see The Lighthouse but the closest AMC it was at was one kinda far away in the suburbs. I drove there in the pouring rain from work and was way early, I took a nap in my car as the rain pounded on my windshield, woke up and it was completely dark and still pouring, went inside and watched The Lighthouse. would give anything to do that again

12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Ironically, when I saw the Lighthouse the projector bulb was fucked up so the screen was constantly flickering, I texted my managers and they tried to fix it but couldn't. It weirdly added to the old school feel of the movie though.

I'd count that as a win but I had some shithead teenagers near me vaping the whole time

13. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

The majority of my theater experiences in my life have been what I’d categorize as “good,” lol; I feel bad for people whose experiences aren’t the same. And, yeah, I find it easier to be distracted from a movie at home than in a theater. I look forward to the next time I’m willing to go; haven’t been to one since Birds of Prey (which was at least a really fun last movie pre-COVID).

14. It’s the best of both worlds. Those that enjoy the theater can watch there and those that prefer their couch can watch there. It terms of potential lost revenue, get smarter with your money and the upfront investment.

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

beachdude likes this.
  16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Timothee hosting SNL tonight, and he ends it wearing a sweatshirt that says "Legendary" on it, with the Legendary logo above it. Nice

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  17. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

I was liking the trend of moving from theatre to home viewing more quickly. I’d like to see it happen even faster as I rarely go to the movies anymore but I appreciate theaters enough that I don’t want to see them go away and everything go straight to video or streaming.

Contender likes this.
  18. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Yup. Stop blowing budgets on “A List” actors and be smarter with what you invest and then you don’t need to make half a billion to break even.

19. Morrissey

Trusted

It isn't really the actors blowing up these budgets; a lot of the mega-franchises intentionally sign unknown actors so they can lock them in for multiple films. The money goes toward the CGI and effects.

20. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

That’s true, especially as they get kicked off. It’s only as they get further along in the franchises that the contracts become insane.

21. Anthony_

People forget that quite a few of the franchise actors we now think of as A-list celebrities were initially B- and C-tier celebrities before studios like Marvel turned them into megastars (Evans, Hemsworth, and Pratt being prime examples of this group of actors).

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Clearly the key is to be named Chris

SpyKi, coleslawed, Anthony_ and 4 others like this.
  23. Anthony_

it think it’s more to just be a good-looking cis het white male in a movie that makes a billion dollars

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Is Paul Rudd the Avenger that was the most famous before he was an Avenger?

25. Morrissey

Trusted

Vin Diesel or Bradley Cooper. Robert Downey Jr. was known, but not for acting.