Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dune (Denis Villeneuve, October 1, 2021) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Just ordered the first book. I was going to hold off for the movie but my excitement for this keeps growing.

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Momoa now too! Holy shit. This cast is insane.

3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

11/20/2020

kyle and Cameron like this.
  4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Oh yeah I’d strongllllly recommend reading the book first.

5. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I am reading some negative reactions to Jason Momoa being cast in this. I think he is not only a very good actor, but he has charisma to spare and I would call him a movie star. The guy can absolutely play other parts than just 'Bro'.

I don't have a problem with the Frank Herbert-written Dune sequel books, but the first book also absolutely stands on its own as a work. You could easily just read the first one and be satisfied.

6. GBlades

Trusted

The stars in this are great and it's good that it's getting exposure. I feel like adaptations these days tend to stick to the source material than previous iterations so I have hopes for this.

I know it won't be a "faithful" movie and I'm happy with that. So long as any changes don't sacrifice the story because Dune is my 2nd favourite sci fi series (behind Remembrance Past)

7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

What is Remembrance Past...???

8. GBlades

Trusted

Remembrance of Earth's Past**.

Three-Body Problem? Liu Cixin? Absolute must for hard sci-fi fans.

Brother Beck likes this.
  9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I have never heard of this series of books. I will have to check it out.

10. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Not to mention duncan doesn’t really play a huge role until after he dies

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

12. GBlades

Trusted

13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed likes this.
  14. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Just finished reading the book, hype for the movie is now through the roof. Will maybe try and watch the David Lynch version this week out of curiosity.

15. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Do you have a theory on where they’ll split it? I feel like there’s a couple choices.

16. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I’ve been thinking about that.

if they want to leave a lot of material for the second movie, the point where Jessica and Paul are ambushed by the Fremen would work, but I think the more likely point is the end of Muad’dib when Jessica becomes reverend mother.

If they choose to go the second route, they can prolong the last battle and still have Feyd’s victory over the slave in the arena, the worm riding, and all the Alia stuff to set it up.

The ideal point to cut it off in a way that flows would really be the end of the first part with Paul and Jessica in the desert, but that would leave too much for the second movie and not enough for the first.

What do you think?

Putting a spoiler tag just in case someone like me stumbles in here before reading it.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Literally film Twitter the movie at this point

Anthony_ likes this.
  18. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

19. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Love that they are basically putting him in charge of the universe and that they chose the Bene Gesserit as the topic.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Is there really that big of an audience for Dune? As great as the movie will probably be, I can't imagine a super long R-Rated sci-fi epic will be a smash hit at the box office

21. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It is the best selling sci-fi novel of all time.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I've heard this stat before, but honestly, in real life I don't think I've ever met someone else who's read it. And I love all the Frank Herbert Dune books.

This project is like an absolute dream pairing of filmmaker and material for me but I can't shake the feeling that this is going to seriously underperform financially. I honestly hope I am very, very, very wrong.

23. flask

Trusted Supporter

It’ll suffer the same fate as 2049.

24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Exactly what I'm afraid of.

25. flask

Trusted Supporter

At least we've been blessed with killer sci-fi the last few years.

coleslawed and Brother Beck like this.