Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dropbox Unveils New Logo and Brand

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dropbox have announced a new logo and “brand” (and the website feels like it was written by hipster Don Draper):

Our old logo was a blue box that implied, “Dropbox is a great place to store stuff.” The new one is cleaner and simpler. And we’ve evolved it from a literal box, to a collection of surfaces to show that Dropbox is an open platform, and a place for creation.

Armin, over at Brand New (no, not that one), has a good run-down on the changes:

While there is something exciting about all the individual identity elements, concepts, and executions of each, perhaps there is too much to each of them and when they come together, it’s hard to tell what we are supposed to take away from it. Right now, you can see the new identity on this Dropbox area of their website and it all feels kind of random, from the color of the logo to the background colors to the co-creation image. I feel like I should like this more than I do and perhaps it’s my hesitation to accept Dropbox not just as file-storage but as a tool that enables and empowers me to be more creative… because it is not. It would be like saying that my portable 1 terabyte hard drive allows me to come up with ideas. It does not. The same way Dropbox does not. Which is fine as I am not expecting or looking for a product like Dropbox to inspire me.

The logo looks fine, the type looks great, but I don’t know why all the other stuff is needed. I still love me some basic Dropbox though. A folder that syncs. That’s all I want.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. I enjoyed reading those blurbs in Don Draper's voice.

3. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

That site is a little much, but I love the new logo design. Very clean.

4. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

interesting choice of type. the brand video tho, lol. it just seems so inauthentic to me. i totally agree with armin. it's a lot, a little crazy, a little too in-cohesive. but i appreciate that they went with a different path than the typical silicon valley look and feel. hightail til i die thooooo. also shout out instrument, they're amazing.

5. andrewcloer

Lurking AP since 2005. Lurking Chorus since 2016.

I've honestly hated all the updates they've done recently. It used to operate like a desktop interface, but now to have any right click options you have to select the check box first. Drives me insane.

6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i don't mind the push towards flatter design in logo/OSes, but that logo just looks ill-proportioned because the flaps are identically sized to the box, and the "collection of surfaces" combined with that visual compels me to think of it much more dissociatively than as a cohesive box.

i prefer the illustration styles, but i dont think they jive with the design idea put forward of a crisp, flat, high-contrast, solid logo. the explosive, highly visual art is all really cool, but i dont yet see how the product actually provides that platform - Dropbox is simply not that, at least not yet, and unless they make that shift effectively, i don't see this doing anything besides losing focus.

Silicon Valley kind of brings it upon itself to constantly be pivoting, so this isn't too surprising... it feels like a horse before cart of visual design before actual structure, except also the horse is the one from Picasso's Guernica while the cart is Mondrian's Composition with Red Blue and Yellow.