Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Drive-By Truckers Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Mar 31, 2016.

1. I needed a place where I could talk to myself...so I made this thread.

2. phaynes1

Regular

uhh did you think me and @cshadows2887 wouldn't be in here???

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

"Buckets of Mercy"

Really all I have to say at present.

phaynes1 and DaydreamNation like this.
  4. phaynes1

Regular

Saw them the weekend after Saint Patrick's day. Incredible.

5. I've seen them three times, and each time they've put on a hell of a show

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I prefer Isbell solo, and I like his songs best of the DBT material, but this band is still great.

7. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Going through my first listen of American Band now. Pretty pleased with it. Highlights include 'Filthy and Fried', 'Ever South'.

8. Haven't heard the whole record yet, but the three pre-album tracks all sound to me like they're doubling down on their Neil Young & Crazy Horse moves, a move of which I am highly in favor.

Also, I'm seeing them for the fourth time in November two days before Election Day...equally excited for the music and Patterson's glorious power-to-the-people political rants!

ChaseTx likes this.
  9. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

really good tiny desk session today

10. Barcara

Regular

Some recent Nashville magic, they all look so happy here.

ChaseTx likes this.
  11. Found out they're doing a free show in Chicago this summer, and I'm super excited to finally see them.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

hey @DaydreamNation ive also recently gotten into this band so i figured youd be happy about that. ive been trying to get more into country/alt country and i figured this band was a good place to go.

i am very very impressed loving this bands music so far

DaydreamNation likes this.
  13. Nice! Decoration Day and The Dirty South are two of the greatest records ever made, if you ask me

ChaseTx, dadbolt and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  14. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Decoration Day is a damn classic

ChaseTx likes this.
  15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I still admire them so much for putting "What It Means" and for making it the first single on the album. That's a strong statement for a band in this genre. So check out that song too @CoffeeEyes17

Anyway I haven't listened to that album a lot and I need to go back to it

16. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah @Craig Manning recommended I check out the newest and I was blown away by how socially conscious they are. I think it's worth dismantling the idea that all us southerners don't care about the marginalized or social progress and these guys do it immaculately.

I'm also really into their songwriting style of basically writing from the perspective of several different characters

Craig Manning and dadbolt like this.
  17. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

this this this

CoffeeEyes17 and DaydreamNation like this.
  18. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I dove through their catalog fall of 2015 and it was really rewarding. Their peak period was definitely Decoration Day and The Dirty South as everyone is saying.

Still need to hear the new one though

dadbolt and DaydreamNation like this.
  19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

American Band is the most I've loved a record from them, honestly. Just kind of a "right band, right album, right time" kind of thing. But they've got a very sturdy catalog through and through, and I obviously dig the records where Isbell was involved.

20. CoffeeEyes17

Southern Rock Opera has blown me away. That opening track is fucking HAUNTING. something very similar happened the day before my graduating class walked across the stage in highschool, some kids were joyriding and they crashed and all died. The rumor was that "Free Bird" was playing and the driver started air-guitaring the solo and it caused him to crash. That was a rough day for the entire school

the mythologizing of southern icons is also so so so cool. Deconstructing the confederate flag, referencing the Birmingham bombings, the story and supposed feud between Lynard Skynard and Neil Young and the urban legend that Young was a pall bearer at Ronnies funeral, the joke that the Devil is a southerner, George Wallace and how his corruption and ruthless behavior helped ignite a racist spark that spread throughout the south, Bear Bryant and the idolization of athletes and how that tied into perceived masculinity, in general just trying to both redeem and apologize for the actions of the south as well as the perceptions. Im in NC but all of these things are things ive heard many times throughout my life, all of these things are a part of my identity for better and for worse. The duality of "The Southern Thing" as its called is so interesting.

I fucking love this band now come gush with me @DaydreamNation

21. CoffeeEyes17

When George Wallace met St Peter at the Pearly Gates, I'd like to think a black man was standing in his way

fuck GW seriously he harmed so many during his tenure

ChaseTx likes this.
  22. Southern Rock Opera is imperfect to be sure but it's so incredibly ambitious and its high points are some of the best moments in their catalog. "Zip City" is my favorite DBT song some days.

I will return to gush more after I turn in my final term paper at 2 pm tomorrow! hah.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  23. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

That album is phenomenal, probably my favorite I've heard from them

24. CoffeeEyes17

im embarrassed at how long it took me to realize what "Betamax Guillotine" meant but then I remembered my dad, whos favorite band is Lyndard Skynard, telling me the urban legend that Ronnie Van Zant was hit in the head by a VCR when his plane crashed and that was supposedly what killed him. very dark but very clever little name.

DaydreamNation and ChaseTx like this.
  25. If I ever start the metal band I've always wanted to I have longstanding dibs on Betamax Guillotine as the name

Craig Manning and CoffeeEyes17 like this.