Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dredg Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Sep 2, 2018.

1. A bit off-topic BUT I think a few of you would appreciate this band, that I might have brought up once before? Either way, they're one of the best German bands, and are very reminiscent of Dredg, Karnivool, Leprous, Agent Fresco, Arcane Roots, Kaddisfly, among others. Proggy alt rock with pop and metal elements depending on the songs. Here's the new single from their upcoming release:

@beachdude Tagging you because I'm sure this will be up your alley!

2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Will check this after the album I’m listening to, thanks!! I’ve actually just been getting into Leprous recently, so good.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  3. Let me know your thoughts! If you need some recs, don't hesitate to reach out, otherwise their discography (bar the unfortunately unknown debut album) can be heard on their bandcamp page.

I'm not done with my own run through Leprous' discography, but they're so good so far indeed.

beachdude likes this.
  4. beachdude

I appreciate it!! Already found some great stuff thanks to you. And yeah, I’ve only really listened to “Malina” so far but that album is incredible.

5. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Bring on 2019!

dredg.PNG

6. Horrorca

Trusted

oh cool

willing to give them a chance after that last lp

el cielo and catch are awesome

christsizedshoes and beachdude like this.
  7. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

a scrap book? that sounds pretty fucking awesome if it's gonna be from the concepts of El Cielo or Pariah

beachdude likes this.
  8. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Yeah, the good news here is that unlike many bands that come back after a long hiatus, I'm not gonna fret over whether they're able to live up to their last release...

Larry David and beachdude like this.
  9. Horrorca

Trusted

Rowan5215 and beachdude like this.
  10. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

I'll believe it when I see it

beachdude likes this.
  11. Rowan5215

So he straight up confirmed Chuckles was made from b-sides they had lying around. I'd always wondered that with The Ornament being a live track/sequel to CWA's closer

beachdude likes this.
  12. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Yeah, I remember being bummed that the live version wasn't recorded in full for CWA. And then even more bummed that they butchered its legacy later.

Rowan5215 and beachdude like this.
  13. christsizedshoes

Trusted

What's kinda ridiculous is they have great B-sides that I actually hope are included if another LP comes to fruition. Stuff from the TPTPTD era like Wondrous Miracle and Blood Stains are leaps and bounds better than most of Chuckles. Granted, even those could've likely been wrecked by the production choices.

14. Rowan5215

yeah instead of remixing them to make a pallid, bad pop album they should have just dropped a b-sides comp with the songs as is. Stationery Transient and Uplifting News are two of the best dredg songs straight up

and I've never heard those Pariah b-sides you mentioned, but that's my favourite dredg so I'm tracking them down ASAP

beachdude likes this.
  15. I know it'll never happen but imagine if Dredg and Kaddisfly both put out new albums and toured together afterwards

Rowan5215 likes this.
  16. Speaking of bsides, this one is a favorite of mine

beachdude and Rowan5215 like this.
  17. Rowan5215

yeah I really love Catch Without Arms but I feel like they missed a few tricks with the tracklist

that song, Stone By Stone, The Warbler and The Ornament? absolutely essential songs

18. Rowan5215

btw, this is your daily reminder that Pariah is the best dredg and "Cartoon Showroom" is the best dredg song

19. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I assume you caught Kaddisfly's new one in 2015? IMO their best release to date (though I'm sure most still prefer SSTP)

20. I did and it was great! Just mentioned them because it doesn't seem like they did anything since.

21. SoundscapeMN

Regular

I recall asking Drew about Kaddisfly once and he said they likely wouldn't tour with them largely given how their sound is similar to dredg. I can follow that, but I also think just from an exposure standpoint, it would have been nice.

I once concluded approximately 50% of dredg fans at least liked if not loved Kaddisfly (that heard them).

There's a huge group on the Traversingboard that love Kaddisfly, and I'll admit, that is where I discovered them back in 2005.

afa dredg..excited of course as I love the hell out of them. I wouldn't expect the new album to show up for 6 months or more. Maybe a single will drop by September.

22. More likely we'll have to wait a little longer, the interview mentions them hoping to record this summer. Could be cool if the process was fast and it dropped around October/November though.

edit: I don't know how to read lol

beachdude likes this.
  23. beachdude

Jamming Catch Without Arms a ton today, will probably turn into a full discography listen (minus Chuckles lol). Really hoping these guys can come back strong with this new album... I honestly thought before reading the interview that they'd probably already recorded some, but after reading it I definitely understand the "no pressure" mentality and wanting to take their time with it. After such a long time away, if they can knock this one out of the park I think it'll be a great comeback that'll make fans very happy,

24. SoundscapeMN

Regular

Drew's Instagram shows a little clip of them recording

Instagram

beachdude likes this.
  25. navidson

Regular

Haven't listened to these for a while - Going to dig out El Cielo as I was obsessed with that album

kyle and beachdude like this.