Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Drake - Views (April 29, 2016) Album • Page 36

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 5, 2016.

1. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Views has some v. good songs tho...

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  2. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Views getting ranked above So Far Gone > People whining about others having different opinions

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

It's kinda weird that there's a line where everyone shares and shits on each other's opinions but once a certain one is said it becomes "whining about opinions is stupid".

Also I do think So Far Gone is better than Views as a whole but that's irrelevant

4. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

That's nonsense. The conversation was fine until someone said "bad things happened in this thread" which is just totally unnecessary and adds nothing to the conversation other than an attempt to belittle others

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. Fucking Dustin

There have been a lot of times it's happened, both in this thread and in other related threads, and it's overlooked a ton until a certain moment and then it becomes "Well why are you ruining this discussion?"

6. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Lol

7. Letterbomb31 Oct 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 31, 2016)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

If he had come into the thread and said that Views is bad, that would've been fine. Instead he has to come in and say "Bad things happened in this thread" and "Views got ranked above So Far Gone. Views got ranked at all", which comes across as condescending. Posts like that turned me off ap.net towards the end, and so far this site hasn't been all that different tbh

This just proves my point, congrats

beachdude42 likes this.
  8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

this album is extremely whack, he drops his worst bars since 2009 and doesn't even try to redeem himself with conviction or empathy. hard for me to imagine this being anything other than the nadir for his brand of pettiness and aggression disguised as sympathetic hurt

Kyle is hk likes this.
  9. Signifire Oct 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 31, 2016)
    Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Haven't listened to this since the week it dropped. Don't see anything changing soon.

10. Fucking Dustin

I've listened to Weston Road Flows a few times since the album dropped and that's probably about it

11. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Posting an album with skewed album sales and that is universally reviewed as bad, above a mixtape that all but changed how mixtapes are perceived and launched the career of now the biggest rapper in the game is absurd.

Views is really really bad.

12. Fucking Dustin

Nah I get ya, I just wish there was more consistency with it I guess

beachdude42 and Letterbomb31 like this.
  13. I love Feel No Ways and Child's Play to a lesser extent but the record as a whole is way too long, largely aimless, and doesn't have damn near enough high points.

14. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I really like the one with PND, Controlla, One Dance, the one with Rihanna and, to a lesser extent, the opener and Grammy's ('cause Future is on it). The rest I cannot even recall a single note or word of.

That seems to be the case for me for all of his albums though, I never revisit the songs that don't make a good impression on me on the first 2-3 listens. Any album over 14 tracks is too long with 0 exceptions, too...

15. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

On metacritic it has a score of 69, that's not "universally reviewed as bad". It'd be more accurate to say there was an unenthusiastic response from critics when compared to his previous releases. I enjoy Views more than So Far Gone, I don't really care if the album had skewed album sales (how does that affect the quality of the album anyway?) and average reviews.

Also, describing the views (no pun intended) of someone who disagrees with you as "absurd" is, again, condescending and totally unnecessary. It's possible to express your point without being rude for no apparent reason.

beachdude42 and collin512 like this.
  16. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

talked to my friends about this, my revised, more enjoyable sequencing for the album:

1. U with Me?
    2. Feel No Ways
    3. Weston Road Flows
    4. Redemption
    5. With You
    6. Faithful
    7. One Dance
    8. Childs Play
    9. Too Good
    10. Summer's Over
    11. Fire & Desire

17. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I'm genuinely surprised this album isn't sequenced better, especially when Nothing Was the Same and Take Care flowed very cohesively (well, for the most part). I like "Keep the Family Close" but it just doesn't work as an opener imo. Idk, it's just so slow and meandering that it causes the album to start with a whimper rather than a bang like his previous albums. It loses the listener's attention before the album has even really begun, ha.

beachdude42, ECV and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  18. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

do not agree with this post at all, he has always been horrible at sequencing. NWTS is a total disaster sequencing wise, "own it" into "worst behavior" is inexplicable and the stylistic jumps make it jarring to listen to front to back. IRYT should have lost like, it's entire middle section. take care is bloated and poorly constructed as well, it's just so good in every other way that that doesn't matter. plus, it starts with "over my dead body," which isn't exactly a banger. it's just captivating and charismatic, which "family" isn't at all.

19. Mhm, totally agree. I think Take Care does that subdued intro way better than Views does with Over My Dead Body / Shot For Me.

collin512 and Letterbomb31 like this.
  20. Fucking Dustin

Really Tuscan Leather is the only "banger" opener he's used

ECV and Chaplain Tappman like this.
  21. I also agree with a lot of this, Take Care loses focus pretty quickly and I didn't appreciate NWTS for a long time because of the weird sequencing.

Chaplain Tappman likes this.
  22. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I really like the sequencing on Take Care. Tracks 1-6 and 12- 18 are perfectly sequenced imo. I will admit it's a bit bloated, mainly due to the middle section. The stylistic jumps don't bother me on Nothing Was the Same, for the most part I think it flows pretty well. Especially in comparison to Views, ha. And yeah, "Over My Dead Body" is a brilliant opener for exactly the reasons you stated and I agree about IYRT.

23. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

realistically, make me proud underground kings and lord knows (and HYFR, to an extent) don't really mesh aesthetically or POV with the rest of take care. its still his opus and one of my faves but i think thats probably its greatest flaw

ComedownMachine likes this.
  24. I really like the sequencing on NWTS *shrug*

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  25. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Thank Me Later is the best sequenced Drake album, and probably the only one w/o blatant sequencing and length issues. Heh