Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Drake’s New Album Goes Gold in One Day • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 1, 2016.

1. The second is regarding the most influential and widely considered the most talented in said genre. Having an opinion is one thing, being ignorant and having an opinion is just annoying. Literally fruit and an apple.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  2. Adam Juwig

Speaking of hip hop being sample driven, check out any work done by Madlib or J Dilla. Still have no idea what point is being made by bringing up Meg Myers in a hip-hop based thread.

3. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

The reason I assumed you really weren't much familiar Meg Myers is because of the repeated misspelling Meyers lol My apologies.

4. And wrote on and produced almost all Meg's songs.

5. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I love Meg Myers but if your current argument is against autotune, "Adelaide" is riddled with autotune and production layers on her voice. "After You", "Desire", "A Bolt From The Blue", countless others follow a strong suit. The reason you don't hear it as much is you want to like Meg Myers. The reason it sticks out on Drake's music is you don't want to like Drake. It's selective hearing and I'm often a victim of it. (Not as much with autotune on my end as, like, noticing where certain vocal chops are. When I'm predisposed to dislike something or am in a bad mood I'll pick up on it more easily and if not I'll never notice it.)

Honestly it's kinda funny because the more I think about it the more I think there are a lot of similarities between Meg Myers and Drake.

6. It's just auto correct.

7. bd007h

Yeah I knew that. But having not really been familiar with other stuff he worked on I can't point out his influence on her sound.

8. bd007h

I hate autocorrect because it causes more errors than it fixes. I always turn that off lol

9. bd007h

That may be true but to me it isn't nearly as noticeable in her music as it is in Drake's.

10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Just asking because you sound like I did before I listened to Kanye for the first time 10 years ago

Jason Tate and bd007h like this.
  11. bd007h

I see your point, but I also think the appeal is there for other artists that just don't get nearly the same amount of media exposure, leading to less people being even familiar with them. And it's not just with Meg Myers, I was just using her as an example.

12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

If any of my posts came across in this way at all I apologize, I'm honestly envious of people who love hip hop

ComedownMachine likes this.
  13. Fucking Dustin

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Idk I think it's kind of a non issue, I see how it's frustrating that artists you like don't get as much recognition as you think they deserve but everyone has artists like that, and if you like what you like then that seems to be what matters most

bd007h likes this.
  15. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

see: jazz music

16. Fucking Dustin

Also the best way to get artists more exposure is to just talk about their music (which I know you do extensively) but also not criticizing the taste of others or making it sound like your taste is better. The more people feel attacked, the less likely they are to listen to an artist you like, and less likely for an artist to gain steam.

beachdude42, Jason Tate and bd007h like this.
  17. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

As a trumpet player I really should be more into jazz,but I've never been terribly interested in playing or listening to it. Going to work to change that though

18. Fucking Dustin

I was at an arts and jazz festival today before I started to feel sick and it was awesome. Got about 3 hours worth of improvisation before crawling to my car.

I'm picking a day this week to read the Jazz.fm thread and learn so much more

bd007h likes this.
  19. bd007h

True that. Sometimes I just wish more people liked some of the artists that I like so I'd have more people to discuss their music with haha.

Our Lady Peace is another band that I've loved for years that I feel has been under-appreciated. Nada Surf too.

20. bd007h

True. I apologize for being condescending but I can get fairly "passionate" when it comes to discussing music haha. I don't mean to offend anyone.

21. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

it's not even a thing like, i don't really mind if you like jazz. it's not for everyone obviously. but like, it is some of the purest expression of skill and talent I can think of an it's not popular...at all. and its fine. it doesnt diminish what I get out of it and it doesn't make me want to attack other artists for being less talented or whatever

22. bd007h

Yeah I played trombone for 8 years and love jazz music but never really took the time to venture into listening to much of it.

23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel that too, but I've found AP/chorus to be waaay better in that regard than people irl, at least for me.

Never heard Nada Surf before this year, but their latest is one of my favorite releases of 2016.

bd007h likes this.
  24. bd007h

But yeah, I'm gonna quit derailing this thread so it can get back on topic.

My apologies for anyone I may have offended, and feel free to like what you like. Sometimes I wish some of the lesser-known artists I like got more of the exposure I think they deserve.

25. bd007h

My sister had their debut "High Low" on CD back when it came out in 1996, which I always liked, but only this past year did I really venture into the rest of their catalog. They're awesome.