Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Drake’s New Album Goes Gold in One Day • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 1, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Yeah, I mean, music changes. It's been 30 years. It'd be boring as hell if it was still the same. Would you say, like, "well Robert Johnson didn't need a distortion pedal?" It's an artistic choice. It's not about 'needing' it, it's about making interesting art reflective of your vision

2. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

tried listening to doing it wrong and the autotune annoys me there too haha.

3. Music evolves. Styles evolve. New techniques come up and are used. Basically the one truth of music is that it's always changing.

4. The counter argument is that talent alone does not make someone known or popular or worthy. I can name countlessly more talented musicians than Meg Meyers that you've never heard of, but that doesn't really mean that much. Be thankful people like what they like, you like different things, and explore that. No need to be condescending to other types of music though or make it seem like because someone gets exposure or is popular they're somehow less deserving or talented (that really annoys me).

5. bd007h

I understand that, but 99% of hip hop from the past 25 years just does absolutely nothing for me, and it's one genre where I wish it would stick to it's roots.

6. I'd argue that's a personal issue and/or that you haven't looked hard enough.

7. bd007h

That really annoys me hahah

fixed that for you again haha. I'm assuming you really aren't all that familiar with her aside from maybe a couple singles.

I'm trying to be as objective as possible in my comments here. I just think the media seems to focus on certain artists, which leads to many people not even becoming familiar with other artists that they may like better if they were given more exposure.

8. bd007h

I've heard plenty over the years to form my opinion.

I did check out Aesop Rock the other day which I did think sounded pretty cool though.

9. You'd be assuming wrong.
    That makes zero sense: there are 15 year old violinists more talented than any artist you've ever listened to.
    Your argument is predicated on your own, personal, definition of talented and good — that's the opposite of objective.

10. Wharf Rat

if you're looking for pure talent i mean i haven't seen you in the jazz thread

Robk likes this.
  11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

@bdoo7h have you ever listened to Kanye?

Robk likes this.
  12. bd007h

Can't argue that haha.

Have you heard her two EPs (which are considered amongst fans to be better), or just the album?

13. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I love Meg Myers and think not only does Drake deserve his exposure and fame, but he's less "produced" than Meg Myers.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. bd007h

Never cared too honestly. His personality irks me to the point where I'm not interested.

Stronger was alright but just because I like Daft Punk.

15. bd007h

I think he sounds WAYYYY more produced. The guy doesn't play a single instrument lol

16. Yes. I think there's a little too much Doctor Rosen Rosen influence on both for me to consider them "better."

17. Wharf Rat

who cares if he plays an instrument literally inconsequential to the quality of the music

beachdude42 and Letterbomb31 like this.
  18. bd007h

The only stuff I've heard involving him is Meg Myers so I'm not one to really hear his influence on her music lol

19. Maybe time to bow out of this conversation then.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  20. bd007h

The first post is referring to the genre and the second is regarding a particular artist which I mentioned my reasoning behind. Apples and oranges comparison.

21. Wharf Rat

the artist is WIDELY considered one of the most talented and influential in recent memory, in all genres

22. bd007h

Wait, Dr. Rosen Rosen worked with Lily Allen? Was never really a fan of her lol.

23. bd007h

Are you referring to Kanye or Drake?

24. Wharf Rat

Kanye, the point is any genuine effort to understand/like modern hip hop would include his discography by necessity

Letterbomb31 likes this.