Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Drake’s New Album Goes Gold in One Day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 1, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Drake’s new album, Views, reportedly sold over 630,000 copies in one night.

During a listening party for VIEWS in his hometown Friday night (Apr. 29), the Toronto native shared that his soundscape has officially gone gold, selling an estimate of 630,000 copies on the project’s release date.

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Daaaaaaaaaammmn

3. Whoa

4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Holy shit lol

5. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Whoa, not a huge Drake fan at all, but that's huge

6. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

Not a huge Drake fan either but I gave the album a listen and there were a decent number of songs I enjoyed on the album, specifically Controlla, Still Here, 9, and Feel No Ways.

7. btr

Trusted Supporter

I wonder how big of a factor the album being "album only" on iTunes played. Aside from the singles, you either get the whole album or nothing at all.

8. You can stream it on Apple Music too, which does play a role in sales. I'd be curious what the sales vs SPS ends up being.

9. CheapPop

Regular

Also doesn't Singles streams count toward first week sales as well? If thats the case he was already probably half way there lol

10. CMilliken

Trusted

That's crazy.

11. bertbro

Huge Drake fan, but I found this album to be really boring on the first listen through. Hopefully it's a grower...

12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, that's insanely impressive. Still have to listen to this. I would be interested to see the breakdown of actual sales vs. album sale equivalents via streaming.

13. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

I just don't get the hype. I think he's terrible, but good for him though.

Just wish other artists more my cup of tea were as widely regonized.

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Are you into hip hop at all?

15. bd007h

Only 80s stuff like Public Enemy, Run DMC, and Beastie Boys. Mostly everything since just sounds monotonous to me.

16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Ah, ok. I've never really gotten into the genre too much, but I figure I'll keep listening to more stuff and hope it'll click.

bd007h likes this.
  17. bd007h

Yeah I've heard a few of his songs (Jump Man, Started From the Bottom, Hotline Bling, etc) and I personally can't understand how anyone could actually like it, but what do I know hahaha. Everyone has their taste.

I prefer stuff with instrumentation and melody haha

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm big on melody too, which is my main barrier to the genre. Usually with the hip hop I do latch onto, its mainly because of cool beats.

I'm sure I sound super uneducated right now ha, but admittedly I am.

bd007h likes this.
  19. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

there's a loooot of drake songs with melody including in his actual rapping. that's like, kind of his thing. Marvin's Room, Take Care, Furthest Thing, etc

20. That's what I was thinking as well ... one of the more "melodical" rappers, especially in the mainstream.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  21. bd007h

Just tried listening to Marvin's room, but despite being slightly more melodic, the obvious autotuning of his voice (which to me confirms my belief that the guy can't sing) is irritating haha

22. Wharf Rat

auto tune in hip hop is in most cases most comparable to like, running your guitar through a pedal

beachdude42 and Robk like this.
  23. Wharf Rat

haha welp^^

Serh likes this.
  24. bd007h

The fact that people like Drake get all of this exposure and lesser known musicians like Meg Myers who I feel have MUCH more talent and better music yet are soooo underappreciated really annoys me hahaha.

25. bd007h

In the 80s Hip Hop didn't need autotune. The melody was more in the beats (that were also far less computerized and sample driven than they are today)