Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dragon Ball/Z/Super TV Show • Page 46

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Shrek, Mar 31, 2016.

1. I’ve never made it through Dragonball completely so I’ve been watching that over the last few weeks. It really takes a considerable step after the Red Ribbon arc, when Tien comes into the picture. Before now, I’ve always kinda dropped off around the General Blue stretch. Also feels very nice to remember a time when the stakes were a little lower and every enemy wasn’t beaten with an arbitrary power up haha

Orla and Matt like this.
  2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It kinda feels like each chapter is being made on the spot with a lack of clear direction.

3. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I feel like I should be used this by now, but it's like every solution to every villain is just to be stronger for no apparent reason. haha. I always think it will be more clever than that or that there will be some larger overall direction.

4. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I mean, hasn't that been Dragon Ball's whole shtick from the beginning? I feel like expecting anything different only means you probably want to be reading something else.

5. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Yeah I honestly don’t get why you guys keep complaining like this every single month. This feels very much like the first 1/2 of a broader arc, and that the super slow build up is just the same thing Dragon Ball has always been doing since Z. I really don’t understand what makes you feel like this is much more of a drag than any other arc lol

6. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Because it is much more of a drag than any other arc. We’re stuck with characters that have had little to no development. The main characters (granola and gas) literally wished for their strength, there’s no training or anything. At least with the Moro arc it brought up some of the Mythos of the dragon ball lore. This arc is just bringing up Bardock. It’s the ultimate bore.

7. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

The "super slow build up" is what I liked because I love the mystery, world building and the narrative direction so the first half was great. I've repeatedly said that my issue with some of these Super chapters is that they fight, and then a character just says, for no apparent reason, that NOW they are stronger and have the upper hand simply because. It's a low-effort, unearned way of fluffing the battles.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I'm also always confused at the attempts from people to wave away criticism by saying "this is the same thing they've always done". It's possible that something was novel the first time they did it and then became tiring after they repeatedly relied on it. New ways of training, new techniques, transforming, fusing, etc. were all interesting and novel solutions to this same narrative issue when they were first introduced. But Super has the habit of characters just saying they're stronger so they just are, particularly in this arc and in the Goku Black arc. It's not interesting to me.

If you don't agree or don't care, that's fine, but I'm a little tired of people acting like my expectations are simply too high so any disappointment is my own fault. I don't feel like I have any expectations other than that they'll just write something interesting.

8. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I'm gonna be honest, I still haven't watched or read Super, so I'm just going off my memory of Z.

Reading what you just wrote, I can understand someone being disappointed if they've just gotten lazy with their own formula.

9. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand Dragon Ball is just inherently ridiculous lol so my complaints aren't that serious. I still try to enjoy what I can out of it. It's more that I'm frustrated because they seem to have fantastic starts to each arc in Super and the set up is great, but there are a few that have fizzled out and haven't had much payoff. I guess my disappointment stems from the wasted potential, if that makes sense. But Super is still worth reading/watching.

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I guess you could say this arc has... run out of Gas.

stonecoldnimrod likes this.
  11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

This is Dragon Ball is my favorite in the franchise. It at least isn’t just “new villain, mysterious new power up,” which is what the franchise has suffered from since the Frieza saga.

12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Piccolo uses a smartphone in the new film. I’m hoping he uses one just to talk to Pan. Wholesome Piccolo is best Piccolo

D57FE386-9E48-4219-B30C-CA02431FC4D7.jpeg

13. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Piccolo using not just a smartphone, but a smartphone shaped like a cat (is that a cat? Looks like it has a beak?), is hilarious.

justin. likes this.
  14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

After putting off watching Super for way too long I finally finished it yesterday. Great show. I'm up to chapter 33 of the manga as well. Can't believe the whole show is just the first half of the manga thus far.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The team-up between Vegeta and Goku was at least visually entertaining

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

18. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Really don't like that animation! What a huge drop off from the Broly movie

19. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

My Twitter is flooded with leaks and spoilers for the movie. I can't escape it. I think most have been minor although I really don't know because I've tried to keep scrolling every time I see anything about the movie lol.

20. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I hate that this is my most recent post in this thread. I was relaxing Saturday morning (at my bachelor party, no less) and I got a Twitter notification on my HOME SCREEN from an account that I do not follow, with an image of a major spoiler from the movie. Unbelievable.

So since I was spoiled anyway, I just said "What the hell?" and read the plot of the whole movie. It looks like a nice little Dragon Ball story. I'm excited to watch it for myself.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Those spoilers are a little uhhhhhh

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Toriyama needs to say goodbye to Toyotaro.

Homie can't write an interesting arc to save his life. This is the worst arc in all of Dragon Ball. Predictable, long, and repetitive. Total disrespect for Vegeta, too.

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Its just painful at this point. Naruto creator decided to go back to writing. I don't see why Toriyama doesn't do the same.

24. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Can't believe anyone thought it was a good idea to give a character a powerup that requires him to get the shit kicked out of him. "Ah, damn, I took too much damage" because, you know, who could have seen that coming? ...and they did it not once but TWICE.

25. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I mean, when you stop to think about it, don't all their power-ups require them to get the shit kicked out of them? That's like, DBZs main trope. When all is lost, Goku goes up a level.