Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dragon Ball/Z/Super TV Show • Page 27

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Shrek, Mar 31, 2016.

1. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I got a ticket for today at 7:30. Ready to see Broly throw down.

Shrek and Daniel182 like this.
  2. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Someone let me if I can watch the film without being caught up on Super :D

Shrek likes this.
  3. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Overall yes. Anything you might have missed is basically included in all the trailers.

Shrek likes this.
  4. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

the only thing that will spoil Super if you managed to get through the marketing for Broly without seeing it is that Frieza is back. otherwise completely unconnected

Daniel182 likes this.
  5. Daniel182

This is exactly what I was referring to.

6. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Got to the theater way early so I’m sitting here waiting anxiously for this thing to start. Can’t wait!

Shrek likes this.
  7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Just finished. I actually really liked the story and those fights. This had to of had a super high budget compared to the other films.

8. Shrek

that was fucking awesome. thoughts:

- Frieza and Bulma’s parallel wishes were hilarious
    - Bulma being Beerus’ sole foil is the gift that keeps on giving. Beerus/Piccolo nanny spinoff when?
    - Broly’s pupils shattering when he went LSSJ was a nice touch
    - it never occurred to me how drastically Vegeta and Goku will outlive their wives
    - Shenron grants three wishes - what the hell was with him flying off after granting Broly’s safety?
    - the rework of Bardock and his last stand were markedly worse than the original material. i really don’t know why they messed with it if the end result wound up identical.
    - Gine!
    - Frieza learning from Krillin’s death and using Paragus’ as a catalyst was top notch
    - Goku felt like he was really getting his ass kicked in a way he hadn’t since Raditz
    - kid Vegeta shitting on Tarble

more i’m forgetting, no doubt. so dense with things to enjoy. pound for pound this is some of the best material in the franchise. the dialogue was very solid to great, and the art and choreography can’t be praised enough

9. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

This was incredible. Definitely the best Dragon Ball movie to date. This Broly was such an improvement over the last one.

10. trevorshmevor Jan 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2020)
    Yeah, this ruled. I think the Bardock story retcon was unfortunate and honestly pretty unnecessary (though it was cool to see Goku’s mom for.... I think the first time ever?), but other than that I loved how cinematic the first 40 or so minutes felt!

Dialogue and choreography were fantastic. The animation was entirely amazing outside of the scene where Goku and Vegeta instant transmission to Picollo. It was a short scene but it reminded me of the worst looking parts of Super. Goku made a hand movement in particular that made me grimace, I think he may have actually been missing a finger lol.

Frieza and Bulma’s wishes were incredible. Definitely my hardest laugh
    I also really appreciate that basically for the first time ever in a DB movie, they didn’t write themselves into a corner. The “all hope is lost” scene never came and the movie was better off for it

Mrk_Brdshw likes this.
  11. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Saw this last night. Had a giant smile the whole time.

Shrek likes this.
  12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

It's safe to assume that Broly will appear in the new manga arc

Shrek likes this.
  13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Ok so now that I'm not on mobile... My thoughts:

I agree that the Bardock retcon was kind of unnecessary. They kind of just gave him less personality and less of an overall grudge against Frieza which kind of softened the blow, honestly. That said, I can never get enough of seeing the expanded world of the Saiyans and Frieza's planet trading organization. This movie had more of that than we've ever gotten (King Cold stepping down, Frieza giving the scouters to the Saiyans, Goku's mom, non-soldier Saiyans, the new Frieza Force, etc.)

I love how this movie subverted a lot of the typical Dragon Ball tropes. Broly wasn't exactly a "bad guy turned good guy" like usual, he was just never evil in the first place (and you actually root for him and feel sorry for him - the whole theater cheered when Broly went Super Saiyan). I also liked how Goku and Vegeta were mostly in control of the fight the whole time despite Broly increasing in strength the whole movie. Instead of reaching some awesome new, never-before-seen transformation, they just decided to stop fucking around, fuse, and beat him down. Also, just the simple fact that this movie was 50% backstory showed they wanted to do something different (Goku largely took a backseat even).

Lastly, I thought that for the most part, they handled a character redesign as gracefully as you possibly could have. They hit a sweet spot between keeping the things people already loved about Broly and rewriting other aspects of him that made better sense in the new version. Also, just the fact that they removed his pointless grudge with Goku was a huge plus.

Shrek likes this.
  14. Shrek

i think we see Broly later than the next official arc honestly. Frieza needs to get a plan together and all that and with Broly being potentially put at the power level of a Beerus as per Goku, that should take some time.

at this point, anything can happen. i vote that next we introduce Cooler so Frieza has a fusion partner to counteract Gogeta/Broly. idc if that is a fan theory a nine year old would have posted on Pojo message boards in 2001. inject it into my veins.

15. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Shrek likes this.
  16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

True, but if I was Goku and a new villain appeared like Moro, then I would give Broly and visit and see if he could help if things got out of hand.

Shrek likes this.
  17. Daniel182

Definitely picking this up.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  18. Also who else was cracking the hell up when those two Brooklyn sounding Frieza minions were in their ship terrified of Goku, who was just angrily staring at the them and pressing his nostrils up against their windshield

Daniel182 likes this.
  19. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

My theater was a rowdy one. They were laughing and cheering for just about everything. When Vegeta vs. Broly started and Vegeta was actually putting the beatdown on him, they were losing their minds. And also, Goku’s ignorance of the word “repugnant” and his use of the word later had people rolling. The last line of the movie got the most favorable cheer though.

Jesse West and trevorshmevor like this.
  20. Daniel182

The last line was interesting.

In the Japanese version I watched online, all Goku says is: "Son Goku... or Kakarotto."

The English dub changed it so that he specifically only tells Broly to call him Kakarot.

21. Wish my crowd had been more lively. For some reason the volume in my theater was really low and I feel like a lot of people were afraid of making too much noise haha

22. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Update: It actually made $7 million opening day, not $5 million like most predicted

Daniel182 likes this.
  23. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Managed to catch this on IMAX last night? Some minor gripes with the plot but the sheer visual spectacle and humor in the movie made me so glad I saw it on the big screen.

24. Daniel182

I can't resist... I'm seeing Broly again right after work today.

trevorshmevor and Shrek like this.
  25. Daniel182

NATPE Spotlight: Toei Animation - TVKIDS

"The company is also making more episodes of Dragon Ball Super, a Japanese fantasy martial arts action series in the Dragon Ball media franchise that follows Goku in the aftermath of Majin Buu’s defeat and as God of Destruction Beerus awakens."