Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dowsing - Untitled (Asian Man Records; April 29th, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Mar 7, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I Don't Even Care Anymore is probably still my favorite. I like this one more than their first LP but IDECA does something for me this one simply does not, I can't really place it. Feels like there's a touch more variety, maybe

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah i totally love IDECA.

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

The pop sensibilities of this band mixed with the emo/indie/punk side made for some heartfelt but fun listening, intimate but also casual, and I think they lost some of the pop, which further served to give them some dynamics, and so they lost some of that when the pop was watered down. The loss of keys also kind of messed with the textures and ambience they had, layers of guitars isn't really texture if it's only crunchy sounding barre chords, you know? The songwriting is still there, but the execution was lacking this time around. So I guess that's what I think in a nutshell, after some analyzing.

Oh and your vocal delivery can really change the way some lyrics are received. Erik isn't the best lyricist as much as I like what he writes because a lot of his words come off a little stiff and polite (kinda like old YBI!) But the former delivery would kind of temper some lyrical flaws. The gruff vocals are cool but no longer temper the lyrical flaws imo

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

If it sounds like I'm shitting on this I'm not trying to, I like this album haha. Just parsing out why I feel the way I do about it.

5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I agree w that actually. Was p disappointed in this honestly

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I was as well in that it doesn't live up to IDECA but in terms of the arrangement choices -- mostly things like tempo and chord choices/changes -- feel like it's p different to IDECA and made it easier to accept it on its own merit even if I don't like it as much. The arranging made a big enough difference that I almost don't feel right comparing them sonically because the intent is so different and it just comes off as asinine "wah they changed so they're not as good" to my own eyes and ears, but at the core the songwriting is the similar -- mostly simple chord progressions with frequent chord changes to keep it fresh -- so I think I did a decent enough job to explain without being unfair?

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  7. cherrywaves Dec 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 3, 2016)
    cherrywaves

Trusted

I feel that, for sure. I almost think the music and new vocal style kind of masks that the lyrics are not the greatest.

"Get Weird" is my favorite song of theirs as a whole

8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Get weird is ace

9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

At times, the lyrics remind me of the festivus airing of grievances lol. "Nothing to Give" might be my favorite

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

11. jordalsh Sep 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 16, 2019)