Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Downtown Boys Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Chaplain Tappman, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Downtown Boys is a self described "Bi bilingual political dance sax punk party from Providence, RI."

Their debut album, Full Communism, came out last year and is very good.

Full Communism, by Downtown Boys

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Them and Sheer Mag are basically the faces of DIY punk music right now. Super cool.

3. cwhit

I just saw them live on Saturday night.

wow. what a set. freaked my friend out when she was like "when the police are dismantled the new jersey police will be amongst the first to go" since one side of her family are all cops, hah. really passionate set that had so many amazing messages, they're quite the important performers

4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I've guess I should check this out, always been scared off by their use of horns which I don't typically like

5. cwhit

it's sort of ska-ish to a point but much more aggressive and the band's political viewpoints and energy about those just elevate this band to something special

6. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Listening now and really enjoying this.

7. cwhit

8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Subbing so I remember to listen

9. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Keep hearing a lot about this band, need to listen soon.

10. local_corn

an existential crisis mixtape

I feel like we're at a lot of the same shows haha. That was my first encounter with Downtown Boys and it was intense to say the least.

11. cwhit

probably not, haha. i'm mostly in DC/baltimore, just happened to travel up for that one.
    new alternative was real fun though, wish more people were there. definitely a bit of a bust attendance wise

12. local_corn

Day 1 was good but Day 2 was just an onslaught of great music. I agree, I was expecting it to be packed. A lack of tickets sold is why I'm thinking they cancelled the third day.

13. cwhit

actually thought day one had more of the highlights, ahah. great time the whole time though. sort of glad without a third day, i was so beat.

14. local_corn

Kindling, Izzy True, Pinkwash, Sammus, Radiator Hospital, Tenement, PS Eliot, Screaming Females...first day was stacked haha. I think I was just more prepared the next day. Same, can't say I was mad about not having a third day because that was rough, but I did want to see Mikey Erg.

15. cwhit

signed to sub pop!!!!!!

Contender likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

That's dope

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

seems like sub pop is making a real effort at broaching younger bands. off the top of my head, downtown boys, lvl up, and beach house are a small minority on a roster of mostly older musicians but maybe im wrong and just haven't been paying attention

18. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

33 Musicians On Why They’re Voting in the 2020 Election

Victoria Ruiz: