Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Downsizing (Alexander Payne, December 22, 2017) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 11, 2017.

1. TMS2787

Trusted

I saw this the other night and I geniuly did not enjoy it. When I saw the first trailer for it I was interested but the second one left me with a bad feeling and then the reviews came out for it. I went into it with an open mind but I thought from the second Damon’s character hung up with his wife the movie was frustrating and annoying. I did get a few real laughs during the whole thing. I just couldn’t handle the last act of the movie. It was just so stupid and predictable. I think everyone saw it coming they’d fall in love and Damon would want to stay in the weird cult colony and narrowly make it out before they are locked in that tunnel. The last act seemed to move fast and nothing really explained, it just happened and then they return home, are still together and it ends.

Nothing drastic, nothing interesting and nothing that happened after he “downsized” felt important or interesting. Just a dull movie and sad too see the director go from Nebraska to this.

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Probably one of the worst films I've ever seen

a nice person likes this.
  3. danjaydub

This was my take on it all as well - it came across like there was a whole bunch of writers involved who all wanted to take the general idea in various directions - some comedic, some serious, some environmental, some social satire - and instead of coming to a consensus on what it was they were trying to create, ended up trying to do a bit of everything but none of it very well...

...but then I found out that one guy was the director, writer and producer - making the whole hodgepodge even more hard to understand. Weird to see such an "unprofessional" movie like that where the end result is really quite bad, but also quite thought provoking about how they ended up getting to where they did.

4. Morrissey

Trusted

Ten minutes and it is already doing that cliche from 90's movies where they show cultures from around the world (all black people live in huts!) listening to the same story.

suicidesaints likes this.
  5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Why are you watching this?

6. Morrissey

Trusted

Alexander Payne has done enough to warrant a try, even if I know where this is going.

7. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I think even you might be shocked at how bad this is

8. Morrissey

Trusted

I can see why Brandon stopped at 75 minutes. They just went to the mini-immigrant slums.

9. Morrissey

Trusted

Hong Chau speaks perfectly fine English (she was in Treme and some other things), which makes this racist caricature of a Vietnamese immigrant even more offensive than usual.

10. Morrissey

Trusted

This was bad; there is no way getting around it. However, I don't actively hate it the way I do something like Three Billboards, mother!, or Darkest Hour. It is not actively pushing something disgusting or false; it is simply an incompetent movie. That is a weird thing to say of someone who has been making films for decades, but it feels like a rushed first draft of a script no one gave notes on.

In a way it is admirable, as Payne is trying to do something here, which makes its failure even more painful. It is the rare somewhat-large budget for an adult drama, which makes it even more dangerous because its failure makes it harder for anyone else to get that sort of funding. He tried to make something weird and different, and failed terribly. That isn't as bad as actively pushing garbage like so many other filmmakers do.

11. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Idk, love it or hate it I feel like mother! is much more successful at doing something interesting. Downsizing tries to do something interesting for roughly 40 minutes and then just kinda gives up and turns into the most lukewarm uninspired midlife crisis movie in recent memory.

12. Iain

Regular

I thought this movie was really bad. I think it lost the plot after first hour. The french guy became the only good thing about it!!!

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

wow this was really bad!

14. Morrissey

Trusted

We haven't heard about anything new from Payne since this one. I wonder how badly it damaged his career.

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I've never laughed as hard as I did when seeing this in the theater; both my friend and I legit had to bend down in our seats because we were laughing so hard, for how hilariously bad it was.

16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious