Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Downsizing (Alexander Payne, December 22, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Jason Tate Sep 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2017)
    (Half of 11 is 5.5.)

And I listen to virtually every album I comment on with any concrete opinion, especially negatively, multiple times. And if it's one I know is made by someone with artistic talent I respect, I'll give it even longer. (Versus just a random demo.) I suffered through four Busted listens.

If you wanna watch half a movie and call it terrible. Go ahead. I hope I never become that kind of critic. That's how I feel. I can't believe you're mad I want to see or listen to the full thing I critique.

2. Joel Sep 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2017)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'm aware, and 75 minutes is also a lot of time to invest in something you are not enjoying (especially when you are watching a dozen films over the course of just a few days) though I appreciate the help with the simple math.

I do see what you're getting at and at least you practice what you preach, though four times through a bad record sounds like far more trouble than it's worth just to prove your initial gut reaction correct. Anyways, whatever. Seemed like you were trying to instigate and it came off as a self-righteous attempt to invalidate him. No sense arguing about it further.

3. My "gut" reaction changes all the time, especially with artists that I know are pushing weird boundaries and trying things I'm not expecting or initially find off, or uncomfortable, or even "bad." And I almost always wanna see the full product and art being presented. I can think of countless albums I hated on first listen only to keep diving into and falling in love with. I didn't like The National on first listen. I haven't commented much on it yet because I think it'll change as I give it more time, and it has ... for many reasons, down to time/place/weather and actually sitting with it. I'd never call it terrible without spending time with it. And if I walked out of a movie by a director I usually liked, I'd probably say nothing about the film until I saw it again in full. (But I also rarely turn off movies at all.)

coleslawed likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

5. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'm interested to see this, but I'm not sure how they're gonna make this premise work. Granted, I have only seen a quick promo for this, so maybe it's better explained in a full trailer/the film itself.

So everything is shrunk down?

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Keep seeing trailers for it and I have no clue if it looks good or not. MoviePass is gonna be a savior for this one for me at least

suicidesaints likes this.
  8. This looks so bad IMO but maybe it's better than the trailer suggests

9. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I’m so tired of seeing the trailer for this.

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Just watched this using MoviePass. To the guy who left after 75 minutes, you saved yourself an hour.

11. kbeef2 Dec 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 24, 2017)
    kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Oof this was bad. First 40 minutes were mildly enjoyable but then it just turns into a completely different, much less interesting movie.

Also this is a massive bomb. For some reason, Paramount decided to spend $68 million on it and it made just under $5 million this weekend.

suicidesaints and popdisaster00 like this.
  12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I’m so ridiculously disappointed that the consensus on this appears to be uniformly mediocre. Nebraska is one of my favorite films of the last several years and I’ve been a fan of Payne’s for a long time.

I suppose you could say the way this film turned out is causing me quite a bit of ... discomfort.

13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Idk how he went from Nebraska to this. Major letdown.

14. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

He had been such a consistently great director up to this point. Such a weird misfire.

15. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Couldn’t convince my family to see anything else today, thank sweet baby Jesus for MoviePass.

16. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

There’s a ton of great shit out right now and they couldn’t be swayed from this? Sorry dude.

suicidesaints and Mrplum5089 like this.
  17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It was okay. But i would have rather they explore the dynamics and culture shifts between the big and small world. Instead it took that weird turn and never recovered.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  18. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

It wasn’t horrible, but I’d definitely be mad if I spent $12 on this.

19. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Yes, including their box office returns heyooooooo

20. Chuck!

Regular

I thought the trailer for this was okay, but I just read a summary of the plot and YIKES. Some real weird choices there.

21. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

This was bad. I envy the guy who saw only 75 minutes. So many weird decisions. There are three separate stories crammed into 2 hours.

22. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

The “world is ending” 3rd act was so head-scratching. Especially when Christoph’s character clarifies that humanity still has “a few hundred years” before extinction. Why exactly is the colony going underground for an event that won’t happen for 20 generations? It’s so stupid. So so stupid.

23. jjnunn118

There were like 6 different directions this film could have gone in that could have made a good-great film. Instead this went in all 6 directions at the same time, then found a 7th insane direction to go in, then said nah jk we don't wanna do that and just ended.

24. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

But even the insane 7th direction was approached in the most absurdly boring way imaginable

25. jjnunn118

probably the worst apocalypse movie this year, and Geostorm exists