Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Downsizing (Alexander Payne, December 22, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 11, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Aug 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 11, 2017)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

cast:
    Matt Damon, Alec Baldwin, Neil Patrick Harris, Jason Sudeikis, Christoph Waltz, Kristen Wiig, Laura Dern, Margo Martindale, Niecy Nash

[​IMG]

Alexander Payne Likens 'Downsizing' to 'Black Mirror': It's a 'Prism' for Our Times

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Can't wait for this, Payne is one of my favorite directors currently working.

3. I love Payne

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

popdisaster00 likes this.
  5. Great cast, I'm interested.

6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Love Payne. Here for this.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

8. Not sure how I feel about this. I was excited for a new Payne movie but this looks like it might be bad. I do hope I'm wrong though.

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is terrible. Or at least the 75 minutes I stayed for. I like every other Payne film I've seen to some degree, and especially loved Nebraska, but this was so terrible unfunny and such a weak attempt at social commentary.

10. Elon Musk wants to colonize Mars. Here’s why he’s looking the wrong way through the telescope.
    If we think of this as a design problem, there is a much better solution. Instead of expanding our environment to another planet at massive cost, why wouldn’t we miniaturise ourselves so we can expand without increasing our habitat or energy requirements, but still maintain our ability to create culture and knowledge, via information exchange.

The history of information technology and the preservation of Moore’s law has been driven by exactly this phenomenon of miniaturization. So why shouldn’t the same apply to the post technological evolution of humankind as it approaches the hypothetical ‘singularity’ and the potential ability for us to be physically embodied in silicon rather than carbon form.

Related reading. Movie looks interesting.

11. I truly hope I never become the kind of critic that doesn't watch/read/listen to something and then declares it terrible without even attempting to experience it. Especially if given early access to the art.

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Lmao is this directed at me? Because I did attempt to experience it and made it half way through. It's a bad movie.

13. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Would you care to elaborate? I gave the film a fair shot, went in wanting to like it, have liked every other Payne film I've seen. I thought what I could handle of this was bad. I'm also not a "critic", I'm just a person who attended the film at a festival.

14. Jason Tate Sep 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2017)
    You didn't even watch it. No need to elaborate, what I said: "I truly hope I never become the kind of critic that doesn't watch/read/listen to something and then declares it terrible without even attempting to experience it." — is how I feel on the topic.

15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Why am I not allowed an opinion on what I watched of the film?

16. I didn't say anything about "allowed" ... did you only read a portion of what I wrote too? Jesus.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I did. I just don't understand why you're attacking me when all I did was post what I thought about the part of the film that I saw.

18. I'm not going to say something different than my first post. It says my thoughts clearly.

19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Can you delete my account?

20. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

21. Joel Sep 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2017)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

What in the fuck

He directly clarified that atleast the (large) portion of the film he saw was, in his opinion, terrible. Likening that to a critic reviewing something negatively that they didn't watch is a batshit false equivalency. I mean, "without even attempting to experience it". What would you say he was doing during those seventy-five minutes? Even if the third act was glorious and partially redeemed the film in his eyes, it still does not at all discredit his initial opinion? Absurd.

trevorshmevor, Aregala and FTank like this.
  22. I said what ***I**** want to not do, how is this hard to comprehend? I said it three times.

23. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I just find it difficult to accept that if you heard eight songs on an eleven track album and hated all eight of them that you would never offer an opinion on what you heard due to not suffering through the entirety of the record. If that is indeed your approach then at least you're consistent, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If that is the standard you hold yourself to, great, but your reaction underneath his opinion seems like a direct attempt to invalidate it.

trevorshmevor and OotyPa like this.