Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Donovan Woods-Without People (November 6, 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by .K., Nov 5, 2020.

1. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Donovan's new album officially comes out November 5th. At it's core it's a guy with an acoustic guitar and cool whispery voice singing stories, but he adds so much more depending on the song. I'm guessing he'd be categorized as a singer-songwriter folk singer with elemental touchers of pop, country and campfire music mastery.

I've seen him live and during every song the venue went silent just getting caught up in the music and emotion in the delivery, and then between songs he'd have the audience laughing. One of only a few bands or artists I listen to that my wife loves just as much as me.

He's a fun twitter read too :

https://twitter.com/DonovanWoods?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Theres a good article here:
    Donovan Woods Details New Album 'Without People'

Without People tracklist:

1. “Without People” (Donovan Woods, Drew Jurecka)
    2. “The Last Time I Saw You” (Woods, Jake Etheridge)
    3. “Seeing Other People” (Woods, Dustin Christensen)
    4. “We Used To” (Woods)
    5. “She Waits For Me To Come Back Down” feat. Katie Pruitt (Woods, Katie Pruitt)
    6. “Clean Slate” (Woods, Jeremy Spillman, Tucker Beathard)
    7. “Man Made Lake” (Woods, Ed Robertson)
    8. “Interlude” (Woods, Travis Wood, Tom Douglas)
    9. “Lonely People” feat. Rhys Lewis (Woods, Dustin Christensen, Jessie Jo Dillon
    10. Grew Apart” (Woods, Wood, Logan Wall)
    11. “Whole Way Home” (Woods, Andy Skib, Thomas Finchum)
    12. “High Season” (Woods, Ashley Monroe)
    13. “God Forbid” (Woods, Robertson)
    14. “Whatever Keeps You Going” (Woods, Wall, Femke Weidema)

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Cannot wait for this tomorrow.

.K. likes this.
  3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Out today.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Just absolutely blown away by this. He gets better every time out, and was already one of my favorite songwriters. I don’t think this one quite has the astonishing high points of the last record, but it’s probably more consistent and fleshes out his sound in different ways. Reminds me a lot of Field Report’s Marigolden: simple, delicate, intimate acoustic folk songs fleshed out with really cool production and sonic touches that borrow from pop music. “The Last Time I Saw You” is just a master class in lyrical songwriting.

5. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

O wow the vocal effects on "Last Time I Saw You" have me extremely excited about where this is going to go.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

This album seems effortless and quite beautiful. He writes songs that just stuck in your head. It’s consistent all the way through with the songs, although Interlude does feel a little out of place because it’s trying to be two things at once in 1 minute 12 seconds.

She Waits for Me to Come Back Down is my favourite so far. After seeing Katie open for Donovan and they performed I Ain’t Ever Loved No One together I thought they need to do a song together. Glad they did.

This is a great cuddle up and relax music released at the right time of year. I am glad he dropped a few subtle country elements from the songs in favour of subtle pop elements. Just works so well with his smooth whispered delivery and gives this album a different feel.

He’s also got a cool song not on this album called Eleven Eleven which is poppy Donovan at its finest.

7. zmtr

Trusted

Been so wrapped up in the election and work I totally forgot about this.

He's easily one of my all time favorites just based on his last album alone. Cannot wait to listen to this in a few.

.K. and Craig Manning like this.
  8. Grew Apart just knocked me on my ass. I've bounced off everything I've tried from him in the past, but this album will definitely be getting more plays.

9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

He released Grew Apart before the album was announced. Suck a cool cool song. Lots of string section parts on the album that again add a little something special

10. cshadows2887

He’s always been this good a writer, but his mastery of the studio has grown by leaps and bounds. This album is absurdly good

Craig Manning and .K. like this.
  11. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

This is gorgeous. Just a really soothing, lovely listen

Craig Manning, .K. and cshadows2887 like this.
  12. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

really dig clean slate - gotta check out the rest

13. Brodobaggins34

They fixed your brain when you were young.

Listened to this for the first time while raking leaves on Saturday. Wow. What a vibe.

.K. likes this.
  14. zmtr

Trusted

I LOVE this whole album but there's just something about "Last Time I Saw You"

It's a song only he could write. He's so damn good at taking small ideas relating to small topics/experiences and making them feel so big and real.

cshadows2887, .K. and Craig Manning like this.
  15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, that one and "Whatever Keeps You Going" are just such vintage Donovan.

zmtr likes this.
  16. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah no surprise this is really great

zmtr likes this.
  17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

He captures moments in his story telling that are everyday experiences or can relatable, whether it be to you or someone you know.

Also, based on the album credits you can tell a lot of extra work was done to make this record sound so good during this time period.

18. I have "Clean Slate" stuck in my head this morning. Paying closer attention to the lyrics on my last few listens and yeah, "Last Time I Saw You" and "Whatever Keeps You Going" are such good songwriting. "Man Made Lake" is also super poignant.

Anyone know the song in "Interlude"? Not familiar with his discography outside of this album so not sure if that's another one of his songs or if he's teasing an unreleased b-side. Or if that's even him haha. Sure sounds like there's a fully-produced version of whatever it is. Pretty cool either way.

.K. likes this.
  19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

He does write for other people so maybe it’s for someone else or a demo of song. I’m curious too

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

I feel like his superpower is finding interesting details about uninteresting characters. He doesn't imbue them with dignity and grandeur like Bruce or anything. But he does keenly observe a good schmoe.

.K., Craig Manning and zmtr like this.
  21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

He definitely mindful of the subtleties

22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Love seeing one of my favourites, Brian Fallon recommending this record.

23. zmtr

Trusted

Been listening to this multiple times a day. Didn't think it was possible but this might be on par with "Both Ways" for me. And seeing as that's one of my favorite albums ever.. I can't say enough about this album.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think it’s a better album from to back (except the interlude) but the highlights on Ways may be better. I think they are better. Both are a good listen.

He’s got a handful of other good songs that are just singles you should check out if you haven’t.

25. I've had a different song from this stuck in my head every day. Today it was "High Season," which I was pretty indifferent about after my first few listens. Album is remarkably consistent.

.K. likes this.