Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Donald Trump’s Nomination Is Terrifying • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I think you misunderstand the phrase "banality of evil". What it refers to is this idea that evil isn't produced and reproduced in terms that are exceptionally sociopathic, but that people passively accept the premises of their existence, therefore normalizing the horrors of their beliefs and/or actions. For example, a police officer isn't sociopathic in his desire to shoot a black person, he simply accepts the premise that shooting black people is the normal, world-stabilizing thing to do.

2. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

You're right I completely misunderstood haha! Thanks for clearing that up

Dominick likes this.
  3. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

If racists ain't gonna learn I'm gonna make fun of them.

Dominick and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  4. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Hey friend- sorry if my post implied that it's illogical to vote for trump or that I'm offering any sort of insult of how trump supporters came to their support. While I certainly feel that way, I'm not in the business of telling other people how to think or feel.

What I meant, and I hope to be clearer on this point in this post, is that the people voting for trump are by and large doing it out of an emotional reaction. "Make America great again" is an appeal to pathos. It implies that America isn't great currently- specifically for the purpose of riling up supporters. Most Americans have lived their lives being too that ours is the greatest country in the world. Being told otherwise by a presidential candidate pisses them off, so they have an emotional reaction.

So my point is that, having arrived at their support of trump through emotion and not reason, those trump supporters cannot be logicked out of it.

I truly apologize if any of this comes off as condescending. I believe democracy only works if we can have a civil conversation, and that's certainly what I'm hoping to do.

doubledribble likes this.
  5. doubledribble

Regular

I'm not offended by your post. I'm not a Trump supporter. I just happen to think, like you, (from experience with Trump followers) that I get nowhere when I resort to insulting them. That is the card they play and they are quick to fire back. I do feel like I support a candidate that can appeal to individuals from both parties, and I do enjoy discussing politics with people that aren't quick to make assumptions or quick to insult. I appreciate your post and I'm happy that we can talk about issues this way. Thanks!

6. dvdjmskng

The horizon is my home... Supporter

I've been following all of this grubby little story from the UK + still have no idea about Trump's policies. Has he actually told anyone how he's going to make America great again? I've just heard lots of slogans and nonsense about a big wall.

7. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

You know how Boris Johnson made a lot of promises that didn't make any sense and were laced with racism before Brexit? It is pretty much the same sort of thing with Trump.

8. dvdjmskng

The horizon is my home... Supporter

It's almost like we shouldn't believe anything politicians say ;-) It's a terrifying that a man with the attention span of a puppy could wield so much power. Trump's version of America has never existed, just as Johnson + Farage's version of an 'English' England has never existed.

9. TBok

Excuse my ignorance, as I'm Canadian, but is there any hope of Trump being impeached like, in the first year? Surely he'll screw up...

10. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I currently have no idea what to do with my vote this year. I have no interest in supporting Trump or Clinton, but I do want to vote.

heartbeatsbrain likes this.
  11. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

My brother just joined the Army, and with being as naïve as I am to Military life, is there any details you could provide to educate me a little bit? November is coming soon, and I'm scared to death of the scenarios that seem possible on both sides...

12. skatinbrad

If you're going to generalize, the same can be said about far-left Stein/Johnson/Bernie supporters.

It's amazing that coming to this forum, and openly discussing my support (though FAR from love) for Trump is welcomed with "you can't debate with him, he's illogical and stupid".

I guess I'm not surprised, there's heavy liberal bias on here. That's OKAY. I understand it. There's nothing inherently wrong with being liberal (or with being conservative).

But this forum should take a step forward in welcoming conflicting opinion without insulting. Tate made a great point by posting what he did. I can't argue with that.

13. skatinbrad

I used Heath care as an example. But for context, I'm a 23 year old college grad. Just because someone has conflicting views, doesn't mean they hold onto mommy an daddy's views as an edge lord. Nor am I racist.

Believe it or not, you don't have to be both to support trump. But seeing as how condescending and generalizing you are of people with conflicting opinion, I'm not surprised you believe a Trump supporter is either a child or a racist, nothing more.

14. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

left wing Johnson supporters

15. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Like I said, I didn't remember who I replied to. I was trying to appeal to someone as to why I think it's important to foster discussion and I was using an example to demonstrate that we could be talking to anyone. Chorus was born out of a Blink 182 fansite and my post was intended as an allusion to that. Plus, just because you said you're 23 and you work in health care doesn't mean it's true because this is the Internet, and to be frank, who you are is irrelevant. A 15 year old is as welcome to argue their point and make a case for their views as you are, which I take it you're not interested in, since you didn't.

16. strangeterrain

Regular

Well, what issues are important to you? What kind of political environment do you want to live in for at least the next four years? Even if you don't have a strong political interest, what type of setting do you want to be in while you pursue your goals?

17. strangeterrain

Regular

I realize this is just one sentence from a larger point you were making, so I apologize for cherry picking, but I have to point out how wrong that statement is.

Trump is against same-sex marriage and supports so-called "bathroom bills" such as the one in North Carolina.

Yes, he mentioned the letters LGBTQ in his convention speech, but only to say that he would protect them from terrorists. He has offered no support for those same people against the hate and discrimination they face at home in the United States.

Plus, his VP pick is staunchly anti-LGBT. If, as you mentioned, Trump's real appeal is that he will hire the "best people" to surround him, the fact Mike Pence supports "conversion therapy" completely undermines your claim that Trump is a "huge supporter of LGBT" individuals.

18. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

I hope America is smart, & really makes American better again.. by not voting for #DumpTrump. We don't need this negativity in our Country.

19. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

It's possible, but to date no US President has ever been convicted by the Senate.