Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Donald Glover Cast as Young Lando Calrissian • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Sal Paradise

Trusted

Re: the rape conversation. I understand why people are uneasy with that list, but also keep in mind that most, if not all of those examples are 5+ years old. There is no way to know if he has changed his viewpoints at all since then, but he seems to have cooled it on jokes and lyrics that make these types of references. Not telling people how to feel, but at least the trend seems to have stopped.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  2. Also not excusing ANYTHING, but he has made comments about not wanting to be remembered for his old comedy bits (specifically "Bro Rape").

Edit: Lots of thoughts about this in general, but I'm having a hard time pulling them all together and I don't really feel I need to have a voice in this conversation to begin with. So I'm not avoiding the problematic stuff, just not sure if anyone needs to hear my thoughts.

As far as the casting goes, I'm really excited about it.

3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Not excited abou this casting at all. Rather disappointed to be honest.

4. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

Because of the reasons listed above?

5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I didn't even know that about him to be honest. I just have never really cared for him as an actor and more than anything, I am struggling to see him as a young Lando. I'm worried the film might suffer as a result. I hope that I'm proven wrong though.

6. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

I've enjoyed him in Atlanta so far. I never knew about the previous either until now. I know previously he's been featured in comedies, so maybe check out Atlanta to get an idea. I think he could be good.

7. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I only know him from The Martian and Community. I'm not optimistic based on those performances. However, I want the movie to good, so I'll reserve judgement until it comes out.

8. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Everyone this is urgent

See Magic Mike XXL

Jason Tate and Ken like this.
  9. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

See....I knew...and yet I unhid your post. No man should be given room to deconstruct misogyny.

You "can't be all that offended" because you are you. Seriously...anyone else want to explain to victims of rape, misogyny, racism, and (jfc) pedophilia how they don't have a right to be offended when someone tries to get laughs of other non-victims of a monumental trauma in their life?

Those things may skim the depths of "fucked up", but perpetuating a safe environment for criminal abuse by making arguments in favour of not only joking about those abuses, but ignoring and/or flat out telling victims that their opinions aren't valid is on par. Ponder on forcing your catharsis upon people who have been raped and murdered at the expense of "joke-material".