Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Donald Glover Cast as Young Lando Calrissian • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

This looks like great casting. Haven't seen his work in Atlanta yet but I've made a mental note to watch it soon.

Also, am I the only one who can't read Lando Calrissian without thinking of Dustin from Stranger Things now?

fenway89 and Guys Named Todd like this.
  2. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

3. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

It'e be nice if they gave Bill Dee Williams a proper send-off. Casting a young Lando will just get more people curious as to what eventually happens with Lando.

4. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

You're an idiot.

elemenohpe, St. Nate and armistice like this.
  5. Fox83

Trusted

I love Lord/Miller and Glover, but I'm still not wanting this Han Solo movie to happen. I'm sure it will be good. I just think they could have used all of this talent on a much better project in the SW universe.

fenway89 likes this.
  6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I just want Magic Mike: In Space. Cast Channing Tatum and Joe Manganiello and I'll forgive all my problems with Star Wars movies.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Yeesh there are some real AP comments in here

8. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Nothing wrong with appreciating Donald's dark humor. Most of those quotes are from his comedy sketches. If it's too sensitive for you then tune out.

9. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Not sure if it was just a rumor but I thought there was news that Lando was gonna be in Episode 8.

emeryk3 likes this.
  10. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

It may be dark humor for you, it is a lived experience for others and continuing to make jokes or references about them carries the very real consequences of strengthening those dynamics to the detriment of the affected groups of people.

11. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

...And it's also considered Gallow's Humor where many use jokes as a coping mechanism for their struggles. For example, Jessie Kahnweiler's 'Meet My Rapist' short comedic film helped her traumatic experiences. Then there's people who just simply appreciate dark humor. It's been around forever and it's not going to go away anytime soon. If you don't like it that's perfectly understandable and avoid it at all costs. But don't chastise stand-up comedians for their style of comedy.

mynamesgeneric likes this.
  12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I'm a fan of Donald Glover and I think he's funny and talented, but he's not funny because of the things on that list.

13. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I do avoid it, but you're missing the point: it contributes to an already toxic culture in which rape isn't taken seriously, for example, which actually has material effects in terms the safety of women and young men. In the case of the latter, he denies there is even the possibility that it can occur, something which echoes a common sense in the ways we conceptualize masculinity and precludes the ability of male victims to seek out redress or help; rather, they are told if they do feel traumatized, it is because there is somethingwrong with them, thereby enhancing their trauma. This is a form of violence and it deserves to be chastised/undermined.

14. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Hopefully it's good

15. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Rape is usually and should always be taken seriously. It's rightfully considered up their with murder, which is depicted and trivalised more on media than rape is anyway - a point that Donald made himself. Another point was how people won't stop saying certain slurs because a comic like himself does. Nonetheless, like I said, there are people who use jokes to comfort their experiences. I gave a clear example of that before. How's that fair for you to take away their coping mechanism?

Should this site boycott beloved Brand New for writing about sensitive interpretative material, such as, date-rape (Me vs Maradona vs Elvis), stalking (Magazines), drowning crying babies (Handcuffs), etc? They touch on many dark lyrical tropes which can be a trigger for someone. Nevermind the list you could easily chastise fellow beloved Blink for.

Obviously if an actor has some serious allegations against him then I'd understand a boycot. But good luck trying to find a well-known celebrity without cherry-picking for a questionable past. Even Billy Dee Williams is a known domestic abuser, which is far worse than a stand-up comic making dark jokes.

16. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Excellent casting. I also wasn't that excited as a Star Wars fan for a young Han Solo movie, but this raised my expectations a bit.

17. beachdude

I have mixed feelings about this since a good 90% of those quotes/examples come from his comedy routines. As a fan of dark humor/comedy I get really uneasy at the thought of every comedy routine being picked apart for anything that offends any particular group... I'm obviously not saying those complaints aren't legitimate, but often (obviously) things said in a comedy routine aren't supposed to be taken as the best representation of the comedian's actual viewpoint, and if we take away the absurdism of a lot of comedy, there goes a lot of the art form.

emeryk3, coleslawed and fenway89 like this.
  18. beachdude

Like come on, I HAVE Asperger's syndrome, and that joke quoted in the Tumblr "article" about Gambino regarding Asperger's is hilarious.

19. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

We are talking about a specific cis-gendered man, so whose coping mechanism is being taken away? It simply seems like a desire to laugh at terrible things. Do I think women should joke about their assault? Well, there is a different power dynamic and I would not presume to tell her how to cope with her trauma. In this specific case, I see nothing of the sort with Glover. And yes, I find it disgusting and avoid many artists that actively contribute to violence against marginalized and a toxic culture that makes invisible their struggles. Bottom line.

20. emeryk3 Oct 23, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 23, 2016)
    emeryk3

Wharf Mice

It's not just for Donald's expense (although a surprisingly lot of comedians do channel comedy as an outlet for depression) but people who enjoy the jokes can also be those who're the butt of them. I've laughed at jokes at my own expense too. For example, when Ricky Gervais hosts the Golden Globes he'll often mock most celebrities in attendance (ie Sean Penn, Caitlyn Jenner, Roman Polanski, Jennifer Lawrence, Jeffrey Tambor, Ben Affleck, etc) - these jokes were actually direct to people whilst Donald's weren't and were often dark (ie Caitlyn's hit and run) - but in comedy, people know it's only in good fun.

I'm sure Donald himself would admit rape is horrifying. People can take dark jokes at face value. Fair enough if others can't but trying to ban it won't work and often brings rise to far-right demagogue fascists like Donald Trump jumping on an anti-PC culture brigade movemeny and gaining momentous support. People find comfort in humor - whether it's at the expense of others or even themselves. We can't just wrap everyone in a 'safe space' if they personally feel victimized.

21. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

[​IMG]
    Anyway, Donald's a great choice for this role based on his talent and I hope he nails it.

22. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

We can try and create a culture that doesn't make it invisible or trivialize it, because even though it happens on an individual level, it is systemic and this sort of discourse reinforces the ideological aspect of that system. That's the point. The alt-right is making the same argument as you are; that is, a myopic perspective that focuses on the individual as a free agent, rather than as a part of an ecosystem in which we all live, therefore giving us a vested interest in the sort of discourse that reproduces the conditions of oppression. I am not advocating banning it or his speech. He is free to do as he wishes, but he isn't free from criticism or efforts to make the environment inhospitable for the language/people who advocate those sorts of views.

Ken likes this.
  23. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Much of his lyrics are disgusting, he's stereotyping and fetishizing Asian women, and he just throws around the word rape so casually. He trivializes rape extensively, particularly in the case of saying something along the lines of men can't be raped by women, they're just having bad sex. None of this is funny or necessary.

24. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Childish Landino

25. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

Loved this graphic novel. Super good.

Tylar likes this.