Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Does anyone buy CDs anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Shattered Glass, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Shattered Glass

If so, where? Online?

2. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Nope. Either vinyl or digital.

airik625 likes this.
  3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

The only retail setting I can think of that has CD's is Target. I'm perfectly happy with digital to be honest.

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

amazon or record labels
    retail stores price gauge like crazy
    not to mention cds just suck

Joel likes this.
  5. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Used cd stores normally have good deals (but I haven't bought one in years)

6. HueyLewis

Regular

I do. It's best to buy from the band or label's web store. Local record stores can be hit or miss. I have a Second Spin in my area that gets most new releases on CD. You can still get most large releases at Best Buy. Amazon has everything. Plus free shipping with prime. Which is cool until they take over the world and kill us all.

7. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I do. I like having the artwork and liner notes (although it seems like smaller bands/labels are putting lyrics in CD liner notes less often now than they used to) but I can't afford to buy every release that I want in vinyl format. If more digital releases offered digital booklets, I would probably stop buying CDs.

I try to buy them from the band or label's online store when possible. Amazon or eBay if not.

HueyLewis likes this.
  8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Yes I do. I like having them and my car can only play music from CDs sadly.

HueyLewis likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Very rarely, mostly from the artist or used on Amazon, then I just upload them to my computer and listen digitally anyway

10. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Stopped this year and won't buy again. Vinyl and I have Spotify Premium. No use for them anymore. Got rid of all of mine recently too

11. I don't have a CD player at home or even in my car, so I don't buy them anymore.

12. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Yes.

HueyLewis likes this.
  13. 5Stories

Regular

Am I the only one who really care about cover art?

HueyLewis and suicidesaints like this.
  14. Yes. Local record shops, Target, Best Buy, Amazon.

HueyLewis likes this.
  15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I stopped buying physical CDs in 2012 or 2013 and now just purchase vinyl or through iTunes. From about 1996 to 2013 I bought CDs from the same place, a local record shop called Record Den in my hometown. I probably have more than 800 CDs. Record Den used to sell CDs the Friday before the Tuesday they were released. It was awesome. I still go there every now and then to purchase vinyl but most of the vinyl I buy is through Amazon or a band's website.

16. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

I don't buy CD's anymore. Only vinyl and digital for me as well. That being said I know multiple people who still buy CD's. I know they like going to local record stores in Philly.

17. marsvoltamcr

Trusted

We still have a couple of good shops around here. I don't like resorting to FYE/Best Buy type chain stores. I bought a bunch just two days ago. I got the newest PUP and Cane Hill albums, Social Distortions's self-titled, and 10-12 various used CDs including Calico System, Cobra Starship, Beat Union, and others.

I love my CD collection.

HueyLewis likes this.
  18. Stopped buying CD's around 2008. I had all of my CD's in one massive binder that I left in my car one night and it got stolen. Never really cared to purchase them after that, the last one I bought was in 2011 and even then it had been a while.

19. Davjs

Trusted

Of course I have all my cds backed up digitally and usually listen to on my ipod, but I love actually having a physical copy. Digital files are so easy to lose when you switch pcs or whatnot. I have a small vinyl collection of ones I really love or awesome album art.

HueyLewis likes this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I buy CDs at shows when I can't afford vinyl which is often. Sometimes I'll get used CDs to try something out because it's cheap and since I spent SOME money on it i am more inclined to really listen to it and find things I like.