Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Who TV Show • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by clockwise, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This is great except for the unintended consequence of once again mobilizing the MRAs and the "I'm not a sexist but..." people. I legitimately saw someone say "Now male fans have to wait until regeneration to be able to see the Doctor as a role model again." Like, what the actual fuck.

2. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. To quote Misha Collins from his remarks about complaints on the All women Wonder Woman screenings "Ah, male entitlement at its finest."

Jason Tate and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I don't even want to think about what's going to happen when the 14th Doctor is a PoC.

Speaking of which, I think it would be really cool to have a actor/actress of Indian descent play the Doctor next.

4. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Gotta love Mark

Attached Files:

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

so has it been retconned that The Doctor can only regenerate 13 times? actually come to think of it i remember 11 saying something to the effect of 507 regens although he couldve just been joking and 12 said he could theoretically regenerate an infinite number of times.

whatever the case this is a really, really good thing and im really happy we're seeing a woman take on the mantle of The Doctor (even if she isnt ginger!) I cant wait to see how the characters respond in universe to The Doctor changing so dramatically. Also for what its worth I thought 12 was a really good Doctor

6. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

They had moved the show into a position where it simply had to be a woman.

It's fantastic to see positive reactions from young girls who are saying things such as "now I have a role model" or fist pumping with excitement or older women who have been fans for years saying "This is great - I wish I had a role model like this growing up". I was a teenager when Doctor Who rebooted with Christopher Eccleston but still, as a man I don't know what that is like to not have a role model because most things from my childhood had a man in the leading role. So this has to be considered a positive and exciting move.

On the other hand... a white woman though? With blonde hair no less. We've replaced a white man with a white woman. Thirteen Doctors (and one 'War Doctor') and they're all white. That's my criticism. It's not the fault of Jodie Whittaker at all and I'm not trying to downplay the significance of a woman in this role, I was just hoping for someone from the BAME background.

7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

That time lord ship randomly showed up and gave him a new set of regenerations in Matt Smiths final Christmas special

CoffeeEyes17 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  8. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I can't get my head around people who are angry about this. Everything I've seen just suggests that dinosaurs have learned how to use Twitter. My favourite one being something along the lines of:

"Are they going to change the name to Nurse Who as well?"

Weird. The character is a two hearted alien, who completely changes their body periodically. The character could come back as a humanoid walrus and it wouldn't be unreasonable, so I don't know why a woman being cast is a problem for these people.

I hope they don't beat us around the head with it though. Introducing Bill as both gay and a PoC in a major role was well played by them and generally done well, but I think they overcooked it a couple of times. I want the new Doctor to get to put her spin on it and it not become a series which self congratulates itself on a regular basis for having a female lead.

9. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

NO idea when the lat time was, that I watched an episode on TV.

I have no idea who this new woman is.

But i know my FB newsfeed went nuts over it. Women who like Dr. Who LOVED it.

A lot of guys liked it, but a lot did not.... Fun to watch this go out.... amusing.

I dont even know if I have BBC on my cable setup

10. CoffeeEyes17

"I can do whatever the hell I like. You've read the stories, you know who I am and in all that time did you ever hear anything about anyone who ever STOPPED me?"

"you'll find the universe is a very small place when I am angry with you"

the 12th doctor had some incredible moments

michael_gatto and scottlechowicz like this.
  11. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Im surprised there is no discussion over the new Doctor. FB feed went nuts over it.

12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Honestly, I've seen WAYYYY more "men are so pissed that a woman is the new Doctor!" than genuine complaints. (Not saying there isn't a lot of shitty people out there being awful) i wish there were more coverage on Jodie and speculation on her Doctor than this gender story that's being pushed.

michael_gatto likes this.
  13. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I want to watch her show to see how/who she is (Broadchurch?)

14. I wanna go to whatever corner of the internet you get to spend your time in. Seems nice.

15. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

My favorite part of any new doctor is finding out what they are gonna wear. I've loved the costume designs for the last 3 doctors. Can't wait to see how she approaches her look.

Ugh. I'm so darn excited! I can't wait to see what Jodie and Chris cook up. I love the promise and potential of a new Doctor / showrunner.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  16. Same. I haven't been this excited about Doctor Who in a long time. Hannah and I are really excited for it to start. Might be time to do some watching of old episodes for fun, after they went off Netflix we haven't watched the old ones as much as we used to.

17. CoffeeEyes17

I wonder what her "i dont like this about my appearance!" thing will be, its always funny when the new Doctor discovers something about their new body they dont like (my favorites are Capaldi saying he had "bushy, attack eyebrows" and Smiths "im a girl! wait no, no im not a girl" and also measuring how big his nose is with his hand) plus of course the classic "still not ginger" thing which I'm sure she'll bring up.

Shes a great, great pick. Cant wait to see what she does and with a new showrunner that opens up a lot of good possibilities

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. I thought Broadchurch was great and she was great in it. Season 2 of Broadchurch isn't as good but still worth a watch imo

19. ellie117

south jersey. Supporter

Jumped into this thread for the first time today and started from the beginning. Wanted to bring these posts back considering this week's announcement :D

Guess I have to call my cable provider and get back BBC. I couldn't get into Capaldi. Any news on if Doctor Who will return to Netflix or BBC's streaming alternative?

20. scottlechowicz Jul 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 18, 2017)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I'm also excited that we will be rid of those phrases and plot elements that Moffatt can't help but recycle. He is very Aaron Sorkin-esque in that way.

No more "off you pop" or "this is Christmas" or "well, I say [insert word here]" etc.

Gonna have to get annoyed by a whole new set of idiosyncrasies.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. We're going back in on some episodes. Gonna start with series 2.

22. michael_gatto

Trusted

Broadchurch is an incredible show. I definitely recommend, very intense. Also she's great in Attack The Block!

Jason Tate likes this.

23. :efu:

24. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

Colin Baker's response to that is great: "They’ve had 50 years of having a role model. So sorry Peter, you’re talking rubbish there – absolute rubbish.”

25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

WHY CANT A WOMAN BE A ROLL MODEL FOR A BOY I DONT GET IT