Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Who TV Show • Page 25

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by clockwise, Apr 2, 2016.

1. clockwise

God-Emperor of Bad Opinions Prestigious

Rowan5215 likes this.
  2. tomtom94

Trusted

Sontarans and Weeping Angels is an odd combo

But excited for it to be back

3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

they're in different episodes I'm assuming haha

4. tomtom94

Trusted

Well it's all part of a continuous story right?

5. clockwise

Yes!

6. Rowan5215

yeah one serialised story but it seems like we're still getting individual monster episodes within that? I remember some pretty strong rumours of a Sontaran Halloween episode when they were filming

7. clockwise

Nobody really knows how it'll all pan out but I'm sure there will be decent variety between episodes.

8. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

Yeah, I'm assuming it'll be a season-long storyline that has different settings for each episode or something along those lines.

I'm also cautiously optimistic for this season! I haven't been a huge fan of Chibnall's run so far, but I get the feeling he might really shine with a shorter, continuous storyline as opposed to overseeing 10, mostly disconnected stories.

Rowan5215 and Importer/Exporter like this.
  9. clockwise

Yeah I share the same cautious optimism. Keyword cautious.

JoshShulkin likes this.
  10. clockwise

Looks freakin awesome IMO.

JoshShulkin likes this.
  11. Importer/Exporter

eat us or we’ll eat you Supporter

Yeah that does look dope. I don’t have high hopes, but I’m definitely gonna give it a fair shot.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  12. xDumpweed182x

Regular Supporter

I haven't been as low on Chibnall's run as most people, but it has definitely had some very weak points. I'm looking forward to seeing how he closes out his and Jodie's time with the Doctor.

13. Dodge725

Regular

I’ve been going through and reading the recent Titan Comics runs and Eleven’s first year is awesome. The villain is great and the lesson the Doctor learns is even present in the show and helps explain a major part of his growth from Ten to the Eleven. Highly recommend everyone look into it.

scottlechowicz and JoshShulkin like this.
  14. Rowan5215

ok the Flux trailer is my favourite thing to come out of the Chibnall era so far. can't deny I'm pretty excited now

JoshShulkin likes this.
  15. clockwise

It's Flux day!

16. Rowan5215

Crisp X and scottlechowicz like this.
  17. Dodge725

Regular

My big wishes for this season are more info on the Timeless Child idea and story to really define 13’s era. The Timeless Child is an interesting idea but needs to be fleshed out more to be effective and it does seem that they’re going for that defining story with the long form storytelling.

18. clockwise

This is a good article. Pretty much agree on every point. We'll see if Chibs can stick the landing on his last series, I think he just might.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  19. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

It might just be the excitement of having Doctor Who back, but I'm thinking this was possibly the strongest episode of Chibnall's run so far. I'm really, really looking forward to the rest of the season in a way I haven't felt for a while

Rowan5215 likes this.
  20. clockwise

Yeah, this episode was REALLY fucking good. It felt like proper Doctor Who and what I wish Chibnall did from the get go.

JoshShulkin likes this.
  21. Rowan5215

this was... really good, yeah, but there was way too much going on

like, as a longtime fan even I was struggling to keep track of all the storylines introduced and how far along each were. I think a casual fan who didn't know what The Division was, or a Weeping Angel, or that these potato-headed dudes are called Sontarans would have just checked out of this episode

that being said, what was there was really enjoyable. Dan is instantly likable and seems to be more than just 'Graham but Scouse' which is what I was worried about. Calvinista was hilarious and I loved the reversal (DW does the 'bad guy is actually a good guy but misunderstood' trope a lot, but it always gets me nonetheless). the Angel scene was inspired and super scary (how have we never had someone fumbling for their keys while looking at an Angel before? brilliant)

most importantly it seems like they're finally fully leaning into Jodie's range as an actor, which is super late but very welcome. the scene that cut between a closeup of her eye into the Flux and led into her saying she could feel the universe breaking was incredible, had me flashing right back to Eccleston's "turn of the earth" speech in Rose. if the worst thing about this season is that there's too much going on, well, it'll still be Chibnall's best by a fair bit. can't wait for next week

JoshShulkin likes this.
  22. Rowan5215

another pretty good episode, but kinda felt like an extended prequel for next week, which looks wild. can't wait

23. Importer/Exporter

eat us or we’ll eat you Supporter

Honestly enjoy that they are allowing this to look “bad” lol it feels like 9/10 era. Feel like there was a sheen in the first two Whittaker seasons that I didn’t love visually.

24. Rowan5215

they've definitely chilled on the extremely unnecessary closeups and lens flare stuff. that being said, I thought this looked fantastic. the overhead shot of the battle starting and the one of the ship crashing into the docks were like fully high-budget TV stuff, super impressive

25. Rowan5215

I may need to watch this one again on headphones but first time around I found it borderline incomprehensible. had no idea what was going on for most of it