Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Who TV Show • Page 23

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by clockwise, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

watched Robots of Death and Image of the Fendahl tonight, was my first time seeing either of them

Robots is genuinely fantastic and I can see why it's considered one of Baker's best. great writing, great design, great and/or despicable characters. the episodes just fly by

as for Fendahl... I don't know if it was actually good, but credit for being one of the weirdest, creepiest, most outright bizarre episodes of Classic I've ever seen. I kind of can't believe they aired that in the 70s lol. what a bizarre little rollercoaster that was

2. I preordered the New Years ep on DVD, just watched it today. Thought it served as a good farewell to Ryan and Graham, and it was nice to see Jack with the Doctor again. Yeah it could've been more focused thematically, but Daleks shooting each other was really fun. Really hoping Jodie and Mandip get at least a couple of episodes to themselves before the new companion joins in.

I can't say I particularly disliked any of S11-12. Chibnall has his strengths and weaknesses, but so did Davies and Moffat. Also, I think after Tennant, every Doctor's performances have grown stronger as their material grew weaker. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm just gonna try to enjoy the show for whatever it decides to be at any given moment, its constant reinvention is part of the fun.

tomtom94 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  3. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Watching ‘Revolution of the Daleks’ now and really enjoying it actually

4. Rowan5215

do y'all read any of the novels or Target novelisations?

just got a bunch of the latter in the mail, really excited to read them. especially Robert Shearman's Dalek

5. tomtom94

Trusted

Need to rewatch series 12 but the only real criticism I had of it was I felt it learned the wrong lessons from series 11, from the action focus in some of the early eps to the Moffat-y "DEEP LORE REVEALED" moments towards the end. I liked how series 11 was mostly standalone episodes, and I especially liked the slower, more reflective episodes. Still enjoyable but less so. As I said before though I loved Revolution and hopefully more like that moving forward.

6. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

I started reading Moffat’s novelization of Day of the Doctor awhile back but haven’t finished it quite yet :/ what I have read is really good though, its cool to see the authors be able to expand and add things to their existing stories

Rowan5215 likes this.
  7. Rowan5215

yeah that was where I started with the Target range too, haha. it's a really good read for fans of Moffat's style, like a version of Day with all the batshit crazy stuff he could never put on TV with a BBC budget

heard really good things about the Twice Upon a Time novelisation, too. think I'm gonna just burn through a few of these

JoshShulkin likes this.
  8. tomtom94

Trusted

JoshShulkin and Rowan5215 like this.
  9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Let’s gooo stoked for another season

scottlechowicz likes this.
  11. Rowan5215

looks pretty good, I'm still open to liking this era though it hasn't won me over yet

12. Importer/Exporter Jul 25, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 25, 2021)
    Importer/Exporter

That’s where i am too. Feel for the cast, because i think they’ve been great but the writing hasn’t matched the highs of the other post-reboot Doctors.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  13. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

It's also been announced that the whole season is one story serialized over 8 episodes

14. Rowan5215

this could be great, hopefully the writing lives up!

15. Raleigh Ritchie!

16. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Hmm

Rowan5215 likes this.
  17. Rowan5215

oh wow. seems to be legitimate

18. tomtom94

Trusted

Well that will make a certain subsect of fans *very* happy

I assume that means no 60th anniversary special?

19. Rowan5215

it would be a shame not to have a 60th. I'm not expecting Day of the Doctor again, that was a once in a lifetime event, but it's a shame to miss a tradition that's been going since the beginning of the show, that fans and casual watchers would certainly show up in droves for

20. tomtom94

Trusted

My thinking is it wouldn't really make sense to have an anniversary special one year after what sounds like an "anniversary special" (for the BBC rather than Doctor Who), especially since it will potentially involve a new showrunner trying to take on the job.

21. tomtom94

Trusted

Buried in that announcement is that series 13 is only going to be 6 episodes. Which is a bit of a bummer. But I guess they need to shoot the specials, right?

scottlechowicz likes this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I should probably finish up Capaldi and watch her run. Capaldi lost me about half way in.

23. Importer/Exporter

Capaldi is my favorite by a wide margin, then probably Tennent, and Ecc and Smith and Whittaker clustered together.

Rowan5215 and scottlechowicz like this.
  24. Rowan5215

oh man, depending on where halfway is, you've got some of the greatest episodes of the entire show coming up imo. one of them being my favourite of all time, even

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Okay, so I dropped off just before the Monk story. Just watched it, and fuck me I was a dummy for bailing. Absolutely loved that arc.