Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Who TV Show • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by clockwise, Apr 2, 2016.

1. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Finished up the most recent season and I just loved it. Can’t believe it was the same group that made the previous disaster of a season.

The NYD ep is up next!

2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I honestly didn't feel a big difference in quality between Jodie's two seasons when I rewatched them recently. in some ways, I actually prefer the first for being a departure for the show and really committing to the low-key, historical element, even if the quality ranged from great to absolutely awful

her second season gave us Haunting of Villa Diodati, which is an absolute classic, but I also felt like it was lacking even more in the character department. I mean episodes like Fugitive and Ascension were a lot of fun and full of energy on first watch, but revisiting them I realised they're functionally just episode-long trailers for stuff that comes later in the season. I do feel like Chibnall kind of ditched the back-to-basics approach and went all-in on the lore madness in his second season, but he just doesn't have Moffat's flair for making that type of Doctor Who incredibly watchable and emotionally engaging

clockwise likes this.
  3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Really? I found that first season basically unwatchable. It took me like a year to finally summon up the will to watch through it all. I was genuinely going to check out of Who for good after that. I’m so happy they turned it around for this season.

4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I thought the second series was a big step up and had some of the magic that was missing from the first. Was it perfect? No. But it was enjoyable.

However, I found the recent episode a bit flat.

5. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I agree that the NYD episode was meh.

I watch a lot of TV when I care for our newborn daughter. So I might do a rewatch from Matt on. So, I apologize if I spam this thread lol

awakeohsleeper and Rowan5215 like this.
  6. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

My word. I do love Matt Smith’s Doctor.

I remember how ridiculously apprehensive I was when he was cast. And like 30 seconds into the eleventh hour I was sold.

7. Rowan5215

no worries, I'm loving how active this thread is recently!

Matt Smith will always be "my Doctor" - the one I really started with and who made me fall in love with the show - even though I don't think he's in my top 3 objectively anymore. god what a talented actor though

awakeohsleeper and JoshShulkin like this.
  8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I remember being at C2E2 in Chicago and the night before Eleventh Hour premiered, they screened it and the beast below. It was so awesome. Watching the first two episodes with like a couple thousand huge doctor who fans.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  9. Rowan5215

oh man, jealous. The Eleventh Hour is top-tier DW for me, easily my favourite New Doctor ep too

10. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

One of these days I really need to invest in watching, to the extent possible, the classic episodes in chronological order. I’ve seen soooo many of them randomly. I really should have undertaken that endeavor when they were all on Netflix.

Rowan5215 and JoshShulkin like this.
  11. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

Matt Smith is for sure “my doctor” too, although I think Capaldi may have beat him out for my favorite Doctor. I remember seeing the previews for season 6 on BBCA and The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon were my first two Doctor Who episodes I ever watched. I was hooked instantly.

I would definitely recommend watching all of Classic Who chronologically if you can! Brit Box has basically all the episodes and most of the reconstructions, I believe, if you need somewhere to watch them all. I think I spent 2 years going through all of it lol, it can be quite an undertaking.

12. Dodge725

Trusted

My fiancé was very adamant that she didn’t like Doctor Who, but I started her with Matt Smith and The Eleventh Hour and she fell in love with it right away. I think he’s the best starting point for new fans because of how fun and charismatic he is and it provides a solid foundation to go back and understand the previous Doctors.

scottlechowicz and Rowan5215 like this.
  13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Not to mention the production value went up drastically with Matt. The music especially. And there aren’t any fart jokes, which you can’t say about the Russel T Davies era.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  14. Rowan5215

yeah Britbox seems like the best place to watch Classic Who in more or less completion (although here in Australia it doesn't have The Tenth Planet which is... an important episode to be missing lmao)

I remember watching The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon at a friend's house and our jaws were on the floor multiple times; namely when The Doctor died ten minutes into the opening episode and when the Silence finally said its name in the second episode. S6 was a mess but man those two episodes are just an absolute white-knuckle ride

JoshShulkin and scottlechowicz like this.
  15. Rowan5215

also yeah, gonna shill for Capaldi as my favourite Doctor too. imo the best actor to play the role, with the most beautiful and solid character arc, with a middle season that's the peak of the entire show and a healthy selection of some of its best ever episodes too... that era was just an absolute goldmine for me

ranking because it's that kind of day (not including War because he was only in one episode and it feels a bit unfair to judge):

Capaldi
    Eccleston
    McCoy (not the goofy clown he starts as, but the genuinely scary Cartmel version of Seven)
    Smith (on my nostalgic days he could easily go up two spots though)
    Troughton
    Baker (Tom edition)
    Davison
    McGann
    Tennant (a great actor saddled with one of my least favourite incarnations of The Doctor, unfortunately, but he's still great)
    Whitaker (much like Tennant, a fantastic actor often let down by the writing)
    Hartnell
    Baker (Colin edition)
    Pertwee (sorry Jon, someone has to be last and I just have never cared for the Third Doctor era)

JoshShulkin and scottlechowicz like this.
  16. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

It pains me to even think of attempting to choose between David, Matt, or Peter.

Of the classic doctors, from what I’ve seen, it’s probably between 2, 4, and 7.

Rowan5215 and JoshShulkin like this.
  17. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

Season 6 is 100% a mess but I still love it lol.

Ahh I don’t even know if I could rank all the Doctors but I’ll try

Capaldi
    Smith
    McGann
    Tom Baker
    Troughton
    Pertwee
    Colin Baker (Thx Big Finish)
    McCoy
    Hartnell
    Eccleston
    Tennant
    Whittaker
    Davison

That list will probably change in the next 10 minutes lol. Big Finish has really made me love McGann, it’s a shame he never got more than the movie and the Night of the Doctor. I also agree with the writing letting down Tennant and Whittaker :/ I just did not dig what RTD was trying to do with 10 during his run

Rowan5215 likes this.
  18. Rowan5215

fully agree about Big Finish totally changing my feelings on Six and Eight, actually I'm pretty sure I'd have totally different rankings for the show and audio versions of Doctor Who at this point because they're such different beasts lol

justice for Seven though!! his last two seasons were some top-tier stuff, I want an alternate universe where the show didn't get cancelled right as he was picking up steam

19. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Wow all this Capaldi love is making my heart so warm! He's my Doctor for sure.

My quick off the top of my head ranking -

Capaldi
    Smith
    Mccoy
    T. Baker
    Hartnell
    Troughton
    Mcgann
    Pertwee
    C. Baker
    Eccleston
    Tennant
    Whittaker
    Davison

JoshShulkin and Rowan5215 like this.
  20. Rowan5215

love seeing the diversity of opinions for this show, there's no other quite like that where it's so divided into eras with their own sensibilities and styles

(poor Davison is going through the wringer on this page though!)

21. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Well, if you insist on wearing a celery stalk on your lapel, you should be prepared to deal with the consequences.

JoshShulkin and Rowan5215 like this.
  22. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I’ve only really watched modern Who, but it’s hard to rank them. Between Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi there’s probably an equal amount I love and hate about each of their eras. Fell in love with the show with Tennant, Smith was probably my peak fandom, and Capaldi is where it started to taper off, despite greatly enjoying him as the Doctor.

Eccleston is whatever, and unfortunately I have not really enjoyed any of the Whittaker episodes I’ve caught.

23. Rowan5215

three seasons of the celery was worth it for the payoff in The Caves of Androzani though

(this goes for Davison's era in general, a bit limp but goes out with an absolute firecracker of a story)

scottlechowicz likes this.
  24. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Watching classic who on Britbox. The animated episodes seem to have the same animation style as Archer and I find it very distracting lol

Rowan5215 likes this.
  25. Rowan5215

yeah the quality of the animation really varies because there's a different team for each one lol

I could swear The Faceless Ones was done by the team who design Rick & Morty

scottlechowicz likes this.