Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Who TV Show • Page 21

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by clockwise, Apr 2, 2016.

1. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I enjoyed the episode well enough. Having Jack back alone made it fun and worth it. I'm not sure that I could really say I'm all that invested in the overall story at this point, and I do think it's probably a bad sign I couldn't even remember why she was in jail, and even all the timeless child stuff took a while to come back to me.

My biggest problem with it is probably that I think they were way too harsh to the Doctor about her not coming back for 10 months.. come on guys she was in prison not on vacation. But I liked what they did with having that time period be the reason Ryan was done and the Doctor realizing she was too late, and it was a satisfying end to to Graham and Ryan's story. Watching them all say goodbye tugged on the heartstrings. I'm excited enough to see where it goes from here.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Rumours are that Whittaker may leave after her third series (autumn 2021). I’ll be gutted if so as she’s not had the material that has allowed her to shine.

3. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

So is it time to start speculating on who they'll get for 14? Surely they've got to go with a POC, right?

4. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

They'll get roasted for tokenism if they aren't careful by doing that. Whittaker has had a hard time of it by having pretty naff stuff to work with. If they choose a POC next time around and the material is similarly dodgy, they'll get hammered, as will the BBC.

5. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

My top choice the last two times around has been Richard Ayoade. I think he's perfectly quirky.

6. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I'm taking that all with a healthy dose of salt because it was first reported by The Mirror who are about as reliable as a blister

huge shame if she does leave this season though, with it being even shorter than the last two. can't exactly blame her but I was really hoping she'd outlast Chibnall

7. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

The Mirror actually has a pretty good hit record with Who.

8. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I saw that Michaela Coel is the frontrunner to take over from Jodie and that would be absolutely wonderful. Would also clinch that coveted Star Wars - Dotor Who crossover actor which I'm not sure has been done yet? I know there's a fair bit of crossover to Marvel with Jenna and Karen but not sure if there's any Doctor Who folks that have been in Star Wars. Michaela is also just a flat out wonderful actress from the things I've seen her in and she would do great in the role.

9. Rowan5215

David Tennant was in one Clone Wars arc iirc, but that's the only one I can think of

FlayedManOfSF likes this.
  10. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Totally forgot about that one!

11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

How many episodes will the new series be? Is that due to covid? That’s a real shame.

12. Rowan5215

I believe Chibnall said 8? and yeah, COVID-related - I think they had the full season worth of scripts ready, but they just couldn't feasibly film all of them

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  13. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Rowan5215 likes this.
  14. tomtom94

Trusted

I feel increasingly like an outlier in really, really liking Revolution of the Daleks to the point of it being my favourite episode by Chibnall as a writer. (Best episode of Whittaker's Doctor would be Demons of the Punjab)

15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I found the episode enjoyable but not sure it demonstrated good writing. Particularly after reading that Ellard thread.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  16. Rowan5215

my favourite Chibnall script is probably still The Woman Who Fell to Earth honestly. far from perfect, but very solid introduction to the new era with a lot of great material for all the leads and some really good humour (both things that have seemingly disappeared from his writing for whatever reason)

best of the whole era is Villa Diodati by a mile, imo, although Demons of the Punjab is definitely very strong too. those are sadly the only two episodes I'd put on par with the best of New Who

awakeohsleeper and JoshShulkin like this.
  17. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

18. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Finally working my way through the latest season. Only two episodes left before I get to the NY day episode.

Man, this season was head and shoulders above Jodi’s first. Happy the show got back on track.

awakeohsleeper and Rowan5215 like this.
  19. Rowan5215

been watching some Classic Who to keep me going, just my favourites I already have on DVD

The Invasion
    is just a cracking story! I love the whole Second Doctor era

20. clockwise

Second Doctor is awesome. I gotta rewatch the Classic Series at some point soon. Honestly no matter how bad it is it’s just comforting to have on haha.

Rowan5215 and scottlechowicz like this.
  21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I've always hoped this would be the case

22. Rowan5215

Ayoade is a very good comedian but does he really have the dramatic chops to pull off The Doctor? I've never seen him do anything outside the same basic persona, which he does do very well

yeah, it's top-tier comfort food for me, and some of it is truly outstanding even with visible aging. I mean I'm just watching The War Games and Troughton went out on an absolute belter, probably one of the best stories in the entire show

23. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

I echo the second doctor sentiments, I love Troughton’s portrayal of the Doctor during his era. I rewatched a handful of his episodes over the summer. Enemy of the World is another great episode and its amazing he pulled off playing two characters back then! I think the War Games was the first classic who episode I watched?? Or at least one of the firsts. It’s a great episode though.

Ayoade would be an interesting choice to play the Doctor and I’d be here for it because I love him, but I don’t think he has any interest in playing such an intensive role. But who knows! He did 10 seasons of travel man even though he hates traveling

clockwise and Rowan5215 like this.
  24. Rowan5215

it really is such a shame so much of Troughton's era is lost, his whole performance is built on his truly incredible physicality and facial work. I don't think any of the New Who Doctors could be what they are without the Second Doctor as a model

clockwise likes this.
  25. clockwise

Especially Matt Smith, he pulled from Troughton quite a bit.