Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Who TV Show • Page 19

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by clockwise, Apr 2, 2016.

1. mattfreaksmeout Mar 4, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 4, 2020)
    mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I honestly don't really think they're going to address this much further except that I think we'll just have random "doctors" pop in once in a while now. But idk maybe there is a master plan. At this point really the options are to just stop introducing new lore or to change what exists, so I guess I'd rather they keep trying at least.

2. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Also overall I did really enjoy this season and think it was much better than Season 11 which was fine just not that memorable.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

The Doctor Who Lockdown content they've been posting has been really fantastic. They just published two new stories by Paul Cornell which are a little epilogue to Human Nature/The Family of Blood

JoshShulkin likes this.
  4. Rowan5215

revisiting that: Tennant, RTD and Murray Gold all came back with basically no press whatsoever for this new one. super classy and heartwarming stuff, this show never fails to make me feel good

JoshShulkin likes this.
  5. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Been watching through this lately again, favorite episodes from each doctor since the reboot. Capaldi far and away is my favorite era of the show. I’m struck by how often the last two Smith seasons are a complete mess. The storylines hardly make sense, the writing for Clara is terrible (and deeply sexist with the “i was born to save the Doctor” arc), and the Ponds get such an awful send-off.

Although, i do think the 50th Anniv. episode is really great, and Smith’s last episode is a lot of fun.

6. Rowan5215

agreed about Capaldi era being top tier (I mean it gave us the single best episode of the show). Smith's last season is a hot mess, but I never had a problem with The Angels Take Manhattan like most people - the battery farm concept is scary as fuck and probably one of the darkest ideas that ever made the show

I still love s6, even though it's a big step down from 5 which is borderline perfect

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  7. Importer/Exporter

what’s your pick for best ep? Hell Bent?

Rowan5215 likes this.
  8. Rowan5215

Heaven Sent easily haha. Hell Bent is both the best and worst of Moffat smashed into one ep for me, it's wild

Listen and World Enough and Time/Doctor Falls would also easily be among my favourites of the whole show

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I love Season 6 so much. It’s a complete mess and barely makes sense but god damn I love it. And all River Song episodes.

Seven is ok but I think Amy and Rory got a nice ending, and there were some decent episodes.

scottlechowicz and Rowan5215 like this.
  10. Importer/Exporter

Whoops, Heaven Sent is what i meant! Lol

scottlechowicz and Rowan5215 like this.
  11. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

The 12th Doctor will forever be my Doctor. All three of his seasons are my favorites. Obviously Heaven Sent is one of the best Who stories ever but I also think Hell Bent, World Enough, and The Doctor Falls are top notch finales. To go from the high caliber of storytelling in Series 10 to what we got in Series 11 and 12 (to a lesser extent) felt like such whiplash. I love Jodie and the companions but for whatever reason it just isn't doing it for me.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  12. Importer/Exporter

I think it’s the showrunner. It’s sad that there’ve been relatively few memorable moments for what deserves to be a deeply memorable era of the show. Last season was a bit better than Jodie’s first, but i still don’t think Chibnall has really decided what this Doctor’s deal is, besides just being basically a superhero.

13. Rowan5215

yes, Jodie is phenomenal and has the potential to be one of my favourite Doctors, but the writing... just ain't good. two seasons in and I still don't really know anything about Thirteen's personality other than that she's upbeat and says "fam" a lot. kind of really hope she sticks around after Chibs and gets to work with another showrunner, but I doubt it

clockwise likes this.
  14. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

I think I generally feel the same way as this. Series 11 was jarring in a lot of ways, but I tend to blame that on getting used to a new cast/crew/etc. I didn't have nearly as many issues with Series 12 as it seems most people do, but I can definitely say that Jodie and the companions are the main reasons I keep watching.

clockwise likes this.
  15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I thought the last series was the best for a long time. I loved Capaldi but felt Moffat got a bit stale. I agree with the criticisms of the first Whittaker series, but the second was a return to what I love about Doctor Who.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  16. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

This thread being bumped made me put on a random episode last night and now I want to rewatch the whole series. Also The Doctor’s Wife is so good

scottlechowicz likes this.
  17. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Recently I've been listening to a lot of the Big Finish audio dramas and they're really good.

Rowan5215 and JoshShulkin like this.
  18. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

Same to listening to Big Finish. Out of Time that just came out with Ten and Four was really really good

19. Rowan5215

the early days of Big Finish had like some of my favourite DW content ever - The Chimes of Midnight, Scherzo, Six's whole redemption arc with Evelyn, there was some incredible stuff. I really fell off over the years only cos they release so much content, I honestly can't get through it all

20. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

Chimes of Midnight and Scherzo are both incredible, I’ve been meaning to relisten to those both recently. Early Six stories were definitely great, too, especially Jubille and The Holy Terror. But yeah, it’s definitely quite overwhelming anymore since Big Finish is constantly putting out something. I’ve mostly been focusing on following all of Eight’s releases and delving into a few other things when I have the time/money.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  21. Rowan5215

I might have to dive back in when Eccleston's box set comes out because holy shit, I can't believe they got him. there's a few others over the years that have looked cool too, especially the War Master series I might check out

JoshShulkin likes this.
  22. Y'all keep bumping this thread, and I'm sitting here waiting to hear that S12 is on HBO Max

clockwise likes this.
  23. Watched S12 on DVD. ...Mixed feelings.

One of my favorite episodes from S11 was Demons of the Punjab because it focused on a single companion and had a deeply personal and heartfelt story. I feel like we didn't get much of that this season. Either there are too many side characters for us to care about any of them because our focus is pulled in too many directions (Orphan 55, Praxeus), or the episode starts out as one thing and turns into another thing entirely to serve the overarching plot of the season rather than the characters that have just been introduced (Fugitive of the Judoon, Haunting of Villa Diodati). The only standalones that really affected me emotionally were Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror and Can You Hear Me?. The two-parters that bookended the season were pretty great. Spyfall was just a really good time. I don't mind the lore of the Timeless Child, I always admired how the show is continually reinventing itself. I kind of like this iteration of The Master, the fact that he turned dead Time Lords into Cybermen is so sinister and intimidating. Jodie has a bit more grit this time around, the way she literally shoved The Master to the ground was surprising, and it was nice to see how adamant she was at not having a repeat of Bill, a companion becoming a Cyberman.

JoshShulkin and Rowan5215 like this.
  24. I find this hilarious.

25. Importer/Exporter

What’s the best season of the reboot? I’m going with 8.