Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Who TV Show • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by clockwise, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Yeah Heaven Sent is top tier TV

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

i dont feel like the song fits in that new trailer but man Im super pumped for this. I need to see more.

Jodie as the doctor looks really fun

Rowan5215 likes this.
  3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I really like the... color scheme... or whatever that I've seen for this season. Like it seems brighter and more sand brown than grey overall. I think this season is going to be a lot more light hearted than the shows been for a while.

4. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

The whole "we're so in touch with the younger demographic check out this top 40 music!" thing the trailers have going is infuriating and bad

the trailers themselves/Jodie look phenomenal

awakeohsleeper and zigbigwig like this.
  5. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Clara-Capaldi is my fav combo on the show.

Rowan5215 and zigbigwig like this.
  6. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

7. zigbigwig

11th-Amy-Rory for me.

awakeohsleeper and Rowan5215 like this.
  8. Rowan5215

absolutely, and they only started getting interesting at Mummy/Flatline for me too. comparing Clara how she was initially introduced to the character in Face the Raven is honestly kind of mindblowing, god that was a fantastic season

9. Importer/Exporter Sep 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2018)
    Importer/Exporter

Yeah, I think seasons 8+9 are both excellent, but 9 especially is great.

And yeah, as a charcter they make her into such a presence on the show. Her almost rivalry with the doctor is one of my favorite things in the reboot.

10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Good summary of some of the critic reviews for the first episode. (Nothing spoilery here - it's just a summary of what some of the critics thought after viewing it early on Monday).

Sounds like Whittaker is a natural fit but that it's a mixed bag overall. The first episode is often like that - we're being introduced to a whole new cast. Looking forward to it!

Not sure how I feel about it being described as more cinematic. I felt like the Moffat years were pretty cinematic and polished and I'm indifferent to an even more polished, well produced show.

11. Yeah I thought It got more cinematic as the years went by, so I'm curious to see how different this series looks compared to the past ones.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

The more cinematic it got, the less charm it had for me. I still loved the actors who played the Doctor (and I'm sure that will be the same with Jodie Whittaker) but I was less drawn in by the stories.

13. zigbigwig

Hype.

I like the comments on how it feels more cinematic. I’ll miss the campiness of Tennant era Who, but I’m ready for a new take on it.

14. zigbigwig

Need to go back to this post. The mummy one - are you talking about the train episode with Foxes covering Queen? I really liked that episode.

15. I get that feeling, Doctor Who without a fair share of campiness doesn't feel right. I thought Moffat was struggling with the tone of the show, especially during the Matt Smith era. Some episodes would suffer from the overcomplicated plot, and his tendency to always ramp up the stakes would get old at some point. I thought they recovered with Peter Capaldi, though his first series was hit or miss, especially in the second series as it benefited from two to three parts episodes and more concise storylines. Peter and Clara were the best duo NuWho had ever done. It was so refreshing to get rid of the forced romance that felt like pandering to the fanbase during David Tennant and Matt Smith's eras. I still need to fully watch the last series though, the few episodes I've seen on TV were okay and reminded me of Tennant's first years.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I pretty much agree with everything you said here! Nice to know someone shares my perspective - I did watch the entirety of the final Capaldi series though.

17. Rowan5215

First stories for every Doctor tend to be a bit of a mess (Eleventh Hour is the striking exception) so I'm not too worried

18. Rowan5215

yes! The Orient mummy not the gas mask mummy is what I meant. easily my favourite of Capaldi's standalone/MotW episodes, it was so great

19. Dodge725

Trusted

Finally watched the last Capaldi season and while there were some good episodes and the characters were all great, the stories felt really stale and repetitive. The Monks were basically the Silence, Bill and Heather at the end felt similar to Clara and Me at the end of last season, and we see pyramids, Romans, and Victorians again. There just wasn’t as much creativity and newness that the past seasons have had, which makes me even more excited for the new team and Doctor.

20. Importer/Exporter

Yeah, i liked some of season 10, but i generally think Smith's last season and Capaldi's last season were really underwritten (although i need to rewatch the regeneration episode because i basically forgot all about it). Just seemed like something Moffat wasn't great at writing.

21. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Just watched the first episode with Jodie Whittaker leading and that was the most fun I have had with an episode since the David Tennant days.

22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Made with Sheffield steel!!

I’ve lived in Sheffield for 10 years so this was such a treat!

scottlechowicz likes this.
  23. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Isn't it public knowledge in the doctor who universe that there are aliens? Like didn't they try to invade england on Christmas or something? Or did that all get covered up somehow?

Wondering why some of these characters are convinced aliens aren't a thing...

awakeohsleeper and Rowan5215 like this.
  24. Are episodes usually available on BBCA's website the day after?

25. The social media comments were about what I expected. Excited to get caught up and watch this.

scottlechowicz likes this.