Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Strange (Scott Derrickson, Nov 4, 2016) Movie • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Special effects were wonderful. Film was generally good, though nothing special imo. Really enjoyed the last scene between the astral projections of Strange and The Ancient One.

2. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Finally got around to seeing this. Totally forgot Mikkelsen was in it. Loved watching him and Cumberbatch work.

3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Loved this movie. Maybe my favorite origin movie at this point

FTank likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

That's awesome. The fact that they're this deep into their universe and still breaking records is impressive.

6. marceting

Trusted

Mikkelsen was dope. Movie was eh

7. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I know that I love a movie when a film over 2 hours long feels short and breezes by.

Seriously my only complaint is that I wish there was more time in a film for character development (the villain was pretty undeveloped for me), but I've been spoiled with binging Marvel's Netflix shows.

8. Davjs

Trusted

Late to the party but just saw this and it was awesome, Marvel can really do no wrong no matter how deep they go into weird characters.

I think it its a combo of you being able to see the villains side and having good/badass/dramatic character moments. When a villain believes they are the good guy/doing the right thing then that is terrifying and for me makes them a good villain. I'd agree with Kimmy above that Shaw, Magneto, Zodd, Loki and the Dark Knight trilogy villains are all solid. I think @Tim is being too hard on Zodd. They have established that they are breed for one specific job and then that is their life purpose, so at the end where Zodd gives that "You've taken my purpose, and now I have nothing else to live for" speech was amazing.

9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Joe and Davjs like this.
  10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Just watched this for the first time and I pretty much got what I expected (that's a good thing). Some of the flaws certain people mentioned here were definitely true though. Still, this was solid stuff

11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

12. Nice. I was wondering when we'd hear an update about a sequel. Estimated 2021 release, so 5ish years between movies.

13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

With Strange and Wong in both Avengers films I don't think a 5-year wait between solo films is that bad.

14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Scott Derrickson is good friends & occasional collaborator w/ Lexi Alexander, and he had the rare excuse-free, sincere response to criticism re: the Ancient One. Now that Tilda Swinton is gone, I'm really hopeful that he'll take the property in a much better, much less problematic direction.

The funny thing is, thinking about the film as time has passed, I don't think most of it is that impressive visually, even compared to other Marvel films. It's cool, but not that special for the most part. Ragnarok & Infinity War made Strange more fun to watch. On the flip side, though, I do think it's a bit stronger narratively than it's often given credit for. Sure, the skeleton is the same as the first Iron Man, but the time theme (while on the nose in a way only this kinda film can get away with) was pretty compelling for me. Like, as much as I HATE Tilda's Ancient One... Her death scene was well written. With the origin out of the way, I'm curious what Scott Derrickson can bring to a sequel.

coleslawed and awakeohsleeper like this.
  15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Funny revisiting these posts a couple years later. Still agree with pretty much everything here, though the lack of Spidey's backstory hurt Homecoming a lot more than I was thinking it would at the time. I was definitely right about waiting for Thanos being the right choice, though turns out they didn't make him sympathetic the way I hoped they would. Still a frustrating strike against that film.

16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Hopefully Marvel allows Scott to just go nuts in this film. Give him his wings and let him fly. Have a bigger role for McAdams too