Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Strange (Scott Derrickson, Nov 4, 2016) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 5, 2016.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Went to see this earlier today... absolutely loved it! Benedict Cumberbatch was predictably brilliant and I enjoyed the story. The visuals were great too. Lives up to the hype.

Was completely caught off guard by the mid credit scene. Got me really, really excited for Thor: Ragnarok now!

2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I know this probably makes anti-Marvel folk roll their eyes to classify it as this, but this was really fun. A nice spin on the superhero origins story. I think it's what I've wanted from an "Iron Man" movie since the first one.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  3. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Excited to watch this tomorrow.

Greg likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

‘Doctor Strange’ Director Owns Up to Whitewashing Controversy

In a climate where people either divert blame or say that people are being overly sensitive, it's awesome to see someone take full responsibility of his actions, to explain his understandable motivations while not letting those motivations justify how his choices affect Asian communities.

5. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

This was really good

6. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I dunno, parts of this felt REALLY repetitive.

but seriously, I really dug this. A movie about an arrogant know it all asshole who messes with time? Hell yeah.

7. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Loved this film, and excited to see more Doctor Strange in the Marvel Universe.

8. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Man I didn't buy into any of the hype for this through the trailers or reviews and junk. Doctor Strange is just a character I never really gave a shit about, but this movie was fantastic! I know it's a marvel movie, but I really didn't expect it to be as lighthearted and funny as it was!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I thought this was really good. As someone else said - somewhat repetitive. But the cast was great.

10. Greg

My repetitive statement was more referring to a specific sequence in jest.

awakeohsleeper and RobbieBerns like this.
  11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Glad you said that. I thought you were criticising it!

12. jellyfishfossil

Regular

I'm finally going to see this tomorrow. I made sure to get tickets to see it in 3D due to the visuals.

Also, make sure you can handle drugs and not be obnoxious on them. One of my friends takes acid but he can spontanously start laughing hysterically and I can imagine that people in the theater would not want that while they are trying to focus on the movie.

I'm just really excited to get Nightmare, Dormammu, and Clea in future films. Being that Mordo is a good guy in this film, I would really find it interesting if they show him struggling and trying to resist turning bad in the sequel.

13. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Hehehehe.

Really glad to have Cumberbatch in this universe. Totally weird hearing him with an American accent for 2 hours. Curious how this does opening weekend

14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This lived up to my highest hopes. Saw it in 2D out of convenience, but I plan on seeing it in IMAX 3D on Sunday, which I imagine being just the wildest theater experience possible.

I absolutely love that they did the astral form during surgery of The Oath; I knew it was coming as soon as he went to the hospital and was so happy with the execution. Everything about the final act time-manipulation-wise was really neat and creative. The approach to Dormammu and the Dark Dimension was a tad disappointing after reading "Into the Dark Dimension," but maybe there's still room for that sorta take in the future? The mid-credits scene contributed to my already high hopes for Thor: Ragnarok.

RobbieBerns and awakeohsleeper like this.
  15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Agree with everything you've written here.

Tim likes this.
  16. Saw this last night. I thought the characters and story were disappointingly standard, but the visuals and actions scenes are really what make this movie. Mind-bending fun. Wasn't sold on Cumberbatch/Strange, even though I'm usually drawn to cold, calculating characters (House, Dexter, Sherlock, etc.). Maybe it was the American accent that partly threw me off.

When the movie ended, my friend told me that Mordo is a villain in the comics, and I was like, "Well, the movie ended with him disagreeing with Strange, but he didn't seem to have any ill intentions. I wonder how they're gonna build up to that." Then the post-credits scene happened. Welp, there it is I guess...

17. Greg

What was Stan Lee reading?

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Only review that matters

Probably seeing this tomorrow too

19. SLADE775

RiverCityScumbags Prestigious

Seeing this tonight. First movie I'll be seeing in ages it seems. Pretty excited.

20. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Insane visuals and really enjoyable. See it in 3D and with a little something in your system.

21. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This was a blast to watch and the mid- and post-credit scenes inspire a lot of hype.

22. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Visuals in this were stunning. Absolutely loved the movie, I went in with no expectations and was blown away.

23. Nathan Nov 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 5, 2016)
    Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Visually, a splendor. A solid movie all around. But it's a shame that a movie as solid as this, sometimes really good, doesn't hit the way it should. It's formulaic. The same character arc of a selfish asshole white dude becoming less selfish has been done by Marvel with Iron Man, Ant-Man, Peter Quill, Thor, etc. Marvel, and superhero movies in general, need to quit it with the cloud/beam/whatever of death hanging over a big city that threatens to destroy everything. It's laughable that that's so often the climactic scene.

Other than that I did enjoy it, aside from minor quibbles I generally like that Marvel is lighter tone-wise but this movie didn't balance it all that well, particularly after the Ancient One crashes into the sidewalk and is near death and they play a joke/laugh with Rachel McAdams before she suddenly has to turn around and try to safe a horrificallly injured human being.
    But it's fine, it's solid. A superhero movie dressed up in trippy visual effects.

24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

What a waste of Rachel McAdams. Maybe my least favorite thing about the sausage party that is the superhero movie climate is how truly magnificent and incredible actresses just spend these movies looking to these guys for what they should be doing. McAdams, Natalie Portman, Amy Adams, they're brilliant performers and have nothing to do in these movies.

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I agree. That was one criticism I thought after seeing this - she was completely sidelined. I also agree with your comment above about the arrogant, selfish white man arc (Black Panther and Captain Marvel can't come soon enough!). Having said that perhaps I was distracted by the trippy visuals and the fact that compared to other heroes I wasn't that familiar with this character as I didn't feel like I was watching a repeated/rehashed origin plot.