Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness (Sam Raimi, May 6, 2022) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

And I don't even like Spider-Man 3, personally. But it's undeniably a Raimi film through and through.

aliens exist likes this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yeah, SM3 is thoroughly Raimi, which is why it’s still somewhat watchable. A lot of the memes from the film drip w/ his style, lol.

justin. likes this.
  3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Well that's the point people are trying to make: with studio meddling, Raimi doesn't seem to be able to produce great films. And it especially doesn't seem to bode well if the last director straight up quit due to how controlling the studio is. But I'll reserve judgement until I at least see a trailer

4. What are the odds there's a Spidey cameo and Raimi gets to direct Spider-Man again ha?

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. Anthony_

Where here did I say anything about the quality of the film lol

I was responding to the original conversation, which was about how it's a waste for Raimi to do this movie because he won't be able to make it his own. I disagree.

aliens exist and RyanPm40 like this.
  6. justin. Feb 7, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 7, 2020)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It does because Avi being the reason and the studio being the reason are too largely different things, especially if it’s being used as an example for Marvel Studios and Raimi. Raimi wasn’t under pressure from the studio and willing to give up a vision, he was being persuaded by a peer as to why certain changes should be made and he eventually agreed. That circumstance is most likely not going to happen with Marvel Studios.

7. Anthony_

The thing that people don't talk about enough, in my opinion, is that Feige is not some kind of inflexible dictator. He has a vision and a plan for where he wants the MCU to go, but he allows his filmmakers to add their own touches and do their own thing provided they're willing to work within the confines of that plan in the end. Does anyone doubt that Ragnarok is unquestionably a Taika Waititi film? That the Guardians films are not Gunn's? That Iron Man 3 isn't a quintessential Shane Black movie in a ton of ways?

People always point to the directors that didn't pan out, like Edgar Wright, but honestly if those directors aren't willing to compromise on the plot stuff to some degree then they shouldn't do Marvel films. I'd rather have Edgar Wright leave Ant-Man if it means that he gets to go off and do something that he feels more comfortable doing. But there are other directors that are willing to compromise with Feige and then get to play around in this world in a way that still makes their films theirs. Feige isn't like Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm, he isn't clashing with directors and replacing them in the middle of/at the end of the shoot with someone who will toe the line and do the studio's bidding. People need to stop pretending he is.

The bigger problem is that not every Marvel film is fortunate enough to have a director with a signature style attached to it, like a Waititi or a Gunn. Saying Thor: The Dark World or Ant-Man & The Wasp are generically directed isn't the result of Marvel "meddling", it's the result of Marvel not hiring exciting enough filmmakers. Raimi is an exciting filmmaker. I have faith that this will be at least an interestingly-directed film even if it isn't overall the best movie ever made.

8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

7E4BD9F5-A8A7-47D4-A47C-3695A83E2025.jpeg

beachdude, RyanPm40 and Anthony_ like this.
  9. Tim

Well, we can pretty safely assume that exactly one (no more, no less) Marvel Studios film between 2021 & 2022 will feature Spider-Man, based on the current Sony contract. So, depends on if there’s another confirmed or probable MCU film in that window that’d make more sense. (Captain Marvel in 2022?) Certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

Joe likes this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Never wrote a draft when it was in pre production for 2 years and the film was supposed to enter production this spring? lol

beachdude, RyanPm40 and I Am Mick like this.
  13. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

It seems weird to set a release date for a movie that wasn’t even written, especially one that was supposed to come out in a year

14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

welcome to blockbusters

phaynes12 likes this.
  15. Tim

According to the internet, Scott Derrickson didn't have a finalized deal until December 2018, which means he was only officially on the project for about a year (even though there were reportedly earlier conversations in April 2017, & maybe even earlier before the first one came out). Then, the earliest reporting on a script after the official July 2019 announcement was Jade Bartlett writing in October 2019. The next talk of script was Michael Waldron being brought on, just the other day, around the same time as the Sam Raimi reports.

All that to say, I don't think that much work was done by Derrickson before leaving. Which, since he & Cargill had previously talked about what they'd wanna do w/ a sequel, them never getting an official crack at the sequel's script certainly makes his departure less surprising. On the continuum of Marvel Studios' ideas vs filmmaker's ideas, this is definitely gonna be very studio-driven, which is typically where Marvel Studios is at their worst (when compared to Gunn, Waititi, & Coogler's films).

When it comes to timeline, the more troubling aspect, which is often an issue w/ all blockbusters, not just Marvel's, is the whole being driven by strict schedules instead of creative process. Brings to mind Justice League, Rise of Skywalker, & the Hobbit. Really wish Raimi had a chance to take his time w/ this, instead of having, like, two-three months of pre-production. Though, the one positive counterpoint is, if the studio is this set on the story they want this to be, if Raimi does ultimately make the film, he's at least signing on having known exactly what he's getting into, vs having a creative vision sidetracked (see: SM3).

beachdude and oakhurst like this.
  16. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Announcing a massive effects heavy movie is coming out in less than 2 years when there wasn’t even a script written yet just seems fucked, no matter how successful the company has been in the past.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

welcome to blockbusters

beachdude, JRGComedy and oakhurst like this.
  18. tvck

Trusted

May I take your order?

phaynes12 likes this.
  19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

sir this is a wendys

20. Tim

That is their strategy, though. Like, just checked, & the first Doctor Strange started shooting one year before its release to the day. And, Peyton Reed signed on to direct Ant-Man on June 7, to start shooting August 18, for a release July 17 of the next year.

Not a defense of the strategy. You're not wrong. That's a big part of why these movies often look so much like each other. But, being surprised at this is like being surprised at the Iowa caucus this past week: the difference is attention paid, not actual process. The people who like most Marvel films will still like this one.

21. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’m sure Marvel has a plan on how to finish the film and release it on schedule but not to have at least a draft a few months before filming seems odd. I’m still optimistic Raimi and Feige deliver the goods

22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Disney’s the type of studio that fast tracks things so bad that they were editing Rise of Skywalker on the set, so not terribly surprising.

23. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Delayed to Nov 5th, 2021

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. Edited the thread title

25. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I think that delay was coming even without the virus