Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Doctor Sleep (Mike Flanagan, November 8, 2019)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dinosaurs Dish, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Dinosaurs Dish Jun 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2019)
    Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Sequel to The Shining:

2. Dinosaurs Dish Jun 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2019)
    Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I loved the music cue about halfway through the trailer (is that music from the original? because I don't think I recognize it) but everything else felt incredibly generic. And then the decision to copy the broken doorway shot and then play the opening music from The Shining seems super lazy.

I hope I'm wrong on this but it looks bad.

3. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I have never read the novel, but I do have to say that I am extremely surprised that they would lean so heavily into all of that Kubrick's Shining imagery. That just seems like really setting yourself up for some tough comparisons. That is ballsy.

I say that as a pretty big fan of Mike Flanagan's work, too. I hope this rises to the occasion so-to-speak.

4. I hope it’s good but I have major doubts.

5. Dog with a Blog

Damn. This looks really really bad. Like it was shot for a TV movie or something. I love how the only parts of the trailer that were captivating were the sequences that showed clips from The Shining lol. The music was good at least

6. Dog with a Blog Jun 13, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019)
    Dog with a Blog

I’m really not opposed to the idea of this being a movie but you need someone like Paul Thomas Anderson at the helm

7. Syre Dream

Regular

All bad takes in this thread.

8. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Mike Flanagan is very good and I trust him and Ewan McGregor is also very good, but I read the first 100 pages of this book and it was some of the limpest, laziest I've ever seen from King. don't know if you can make a great movie from source material that rough, but maybe?

9. dlemert

Trusted

I enjoyed the book, but it really has almost nothing in common with The Shining, and I'm surprised it looks like they're curbing so much from it. This movie should've been made as a complete standalone.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  10. Dog with a Blog Jun 14, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019)
    Dog with a Blog

I have enjoyed what I’ve seen from Flanagan, with Hill House being my favorite, but from a visual standpoint it just looks really stale. We’ll see I guess

jkauf likes this.
  11. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

The only interesting parts of the trailer were the Shining call backs. I really like Ewen McGregor but he seems to regularly pick shitty movies.

And of course I'm stoked on Rebecca Ferguson but still....meh.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Shawshank was pretty bad and the movie turned out good.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  14. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

that's a fair point, though I'd argue that adapting a novella gives plenty of room for the director to add their flair and the screenwriter to expand in a meaningful way. it's hard to imagine Flanagan having much room to change anything in Doctor Sleep with it's length

CarpetElf likes this.
  15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

True. Struggling to think of any other examples atm.

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I haven’t read this so I don’t know how adaptable it is specifically, but a LOT of the best film adaptations come from mediocre or even flat out bad source material.

17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Battlefield Earth was pretty great! [/sarcasm]

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It was certainly.......... exceptional.

19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

You disagree that it's a bold move to set your horror film up to be compared with one of the most well-regarded horror films of all time...?

20. Night Channels

Trusted

It's a sequel...

The only clip from Kubrick's film is the bloody elevator scene. Everything else is brand new.

Syre Dream and Brother Beck like this.
  21. Night Channels

Trusted

Syre Dream likes this.
  22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I think using actual clips and/or recreating them is having the same negative effect though. I’m assuming that’s what they meant because that was thought as well.

coleslawed and Brother Beck like this.
  23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I wasn't talking about just actually straight using clips, but playing with imagery from Kubrick's film altogether.

I was under the impression that the novel Doctor Sleep was a sequel to the novel The Shining, and I thought this film was going to be an adaption of that book and not necessarily a sequel to Kubrick's film, even though there would obviously be some things in common. One of the main things that made me think that was King's well-known and very strong dislike of Kubrick's film.

I am not saying that it is necessarily bad yet - I don't know, I haven't seen it - I was just saying it is ballsy, and also that I found it surprising.

24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

battlefield earth is an extremely pleasant watching experience

25. Syre Dream

Regular

Stephen King Had to Approve the DOCTOR SLEEP Changes Involving Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING

Brother Beck likes this.