Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Do you miss AbsolutePunk at all? • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ItsAndrew, May 5, 2020.

1. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Not sure if I can say I miss AbsolutePunk, but I will say I feel more disconnected with music news that I cared about here than on AP. I'm not in the news section nearly as much on Chorus. And I have retreated to a few specific threads and lurking in the forums.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

3. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

I watched @dylan type into the address bar the other week absol——and I said ooh that’s not right. I do it too here and there admittedly out of habit despite how long it’s been now.

Jake W likes this.
  4. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I did that for at least a year lol

5. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I wasn’t a power user on ap like I am here, so no

supernovagirl, Mary V and St. Nate like this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I definitely miss it. There was something about the community there that was more rabid and engaged than we have here, at least in the threads that I tend to frequent. We lost a ton of great users in the merge, people who I probably will never speak to again.

We also lost a ton of horrible shitheads, but I was meaner then and it was fun to be mean. I feel like we get less newbies here than we did on AP, but maybe they're just posting in threads that I don't pay attention to.

The layout here is 100% better.

7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

"it was fun to be mean"

why would you say this

8. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

its true tho

9. Serh May 5, 2020
    (Last edited: May 6, 2020)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

just kinda clashes with the whole "i was aggressively rude to others and i wish i wasn't now" speech he made sometime ago, whatever

Night Channels and Jake W like this.
  10. Crisp X May 6, 2020
    I do in the nostalgic sense, but like... a very tiny portion of it? To clarify,

The front page was messy and way too often, bigots would crawl out of the woodwork. I vividly remember the thread about Laura Jane Grace coming out, and the arguments and the anxiety that ensued. It was a turning point for me, and led me to start my transition years later. I wish I didn't have some of the awful posts still in my mind.

It was the same with reviews, even if I wish I could reread some. People had a fixation on the scores instead of discussing the actual content. Remember the ones for Kanye West? It was also getting oversatured with news as the years went by. Especially when a few of the former contributors (ironically, one of them spawning this thread through that twitter post) would post about controversial bands. I can't imagine ever being a moderator at the time.

The forums... oh boy. There's something that happens on every place I've been a regular on. At some point, there's always at least one guy whose brand is to shitpost, but in a sinister way? At first, you laugh at their posts, then they start getting worse and worse, and on the other side the guy ends up being appreciated by the most active users while they are basically shit-stirring all day. If they happened to post something problematic and you tried to call them out, you would be jumped on by everyone else. The cliquey vibes were real, and I admit I've been on both sides.

I miss certain users and staff members, who have helped shape my tastes. No idea if some of them have ever signed up on here. I miss the Absolute 100 feature. I miss some of the board games that would happen on the regular. I miss the Mixtapes trading thread. I miss having pretty much a database and like a history book in front to me to look up bands with. With ap.net, Myspace, and Purevolume all gone, so many bands have somehow been written out of existence.

I miss the old and much more active Jpop and Kpop threads. I miss the active threads for certain shows too. For example, I got into LOST in 2014, and would sometimes read some of those decade old threads because it was all a timecapsule for that era of television. Samesies for Community, Parks and Rec or How I Met Your Mother, but it's just me being nostalgic for an era instead of the site itself. On a similar note, Breaking Bad and Game Of Thrones' threads were a rollercoaster.

On the positive side, all these nostalgia reminders... feel like me putting a blind goggle to the shit that would happen on the old community on a daily basis. I cited the Laura Jane Grace post, but there was constant misogyny, racism, homophobia, and just plain edginess all over the board. I can't imagine anyone ever looking at the state of Chorus.fm and thinking: "Hey, I miss the Babe thread! Oh, I wish I could go back to the day nudes from _insert your scene musician_ leaked. Lmao that guy from The Dangerous Summer was wild! What happened to that predatory guy with the Mark Hoppus avatar? Or the awful troll named Dogsizedbird or something?" The negatives outweigh the positives to me.

Honestly, a few of the problems (cliquey vibes, people being dickheads to each others for no reason at times, but those aren't exclusive to this site) are still somewhat present today, which led me to dissociate from this community a little in the last year. Seeing many users, some of whom I loved interacting with for a +decade, disengage or just leave by themselves as they got tired of inside drama or whatever... took a toll on me. Don't get me wrong, I still come here everyday and make my 3 sentences max posts, but it's rare that I write more thorough thoughts or engage with users in a deeper way. I'm sorry for the latters, as I know a few have been adorable in and outside the pm's and helped me get through personal shit.

There's a sense of disconnection I also feel, to paraphrase a previous post. I don't know if it's me just growing out of some of the community's tastes. Like, I feel like an alien for not being obsessed with certain bands as much as most of the community. It didn't happen in the ap.net days as I was much more in touch with the "scene". I also feel like an alien when I don't get the humor in a lot of bro-y memes and vice versa. Perhaps I've just changed, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I can't end this on such a dour note. Chorus.fm has for the most part been a much safer and friendlier place. I can't think of ever joining another place when it comes to discussing rock music in its broadest way, as the others I've seen are filled with people who are rude and have... no moral compass? I have conflicting thoughts about the Accountability threads. However, I do feel like people got a lot better at calling out problematic stuff on here, and the discussions that have birthed out of it have been fruitful.

I feel like a fraud for writing only one positive paragraph, but I guess I had a lot of stuff on my chest. And now I regret referencing some very specific horrid stuff, but I wanted to prove a point about not understanding being fully nostalgic for the old place.

11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I miss certain people, but that’s about it.

Petit nain des Îles and Ken like this.
  12. OhTheWater May 6, 2020
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

lol there were some people who I was a dick to who did not deserve it, there were some who did. Pretty simple stuff

also weird that you are policing an offhanded comment I made in jest and relating it back to a serious conversation I had like 5 months ago! But carry on!

13. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Lurked AP for a very long time, posted for the last couple years I think. I don’t even remember much anymore. I think I may have posted in the emo thread and PL thread (lol)

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I was actively abusing substances for years on AP and would post while being awake for days very often, it would fascinate me to see the stuff I used to post. I was out of my mind.

15. Jake W

What was your username?

16. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I was oldjersey on there, before that I was staywhatyouare9

Ken and Jake W like this.
  17. Jake W

OK I don't remember you lol

18. I feel like saying “I did this thing because it was fun at the time” and also saying “I regret it now” are not contradictory things?

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah like, it was fun to get super drunk over the weekend. I regretted it the next morning while doing yardwork.

20. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

hard to answer. there feels like a drastically lower number of regular posters here than AP, and my block list is bigger than ever. i don't use the news section here at all. nor do i read the reviews but i attribute that to my general no longer caring about critical reception of a lot of art. most of the people that i like here are the only reason that i still come here and even then id love to have a way to keep in touch with them as a group through pretty much any other medium. this is about the last place id actually want to talk about music on earth.

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

wasn't tryna "police" you but fine, i'll concede that i jumped the gun on that remark. that was my bad. didn't see the facetiousness in it since i guess i read it like a lot of casually insulting posts you made about others on here in the (not always distant) past, even when, as you say, they didn't necessarily warrant it

i don't want to turn this into too much of a thing, especially in a thread like THIS. immediately reminded of why i had qualms about hitting reply on that post now

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I am baffled as to how I'm getting in trouble online for this, but I suppose I'll limit my already limited posting even more

23. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

idk what i'd do without you, Shrek. Especially now that @SlappinCups is gone.

24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

damn i guess ill just go

supernovagirl and Ken like this.
  25. Ken

entrusted Prestigious