Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dispatches From Elsewhere (AMC) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by irthesteve, Jan 14, 2020.

1. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

This and Devs have really caught my attention.

2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

anyone got a source on the song Simone plays for Peter in ep 1, and then he hears it again when he sees her later in the episode? cos I need that on my phone literally right now

3. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm literally the opposite lol, I was nervous it was gonna be super self-serious and kind of pretentious but it's actually a lot funnier than I expected it to be. Segel's joke delivery always kills me, even in lowkey stuff like this

4. Rowan5215

I think someone specifically pitched it to me as a comedy which would have influenced perceptions lol. I do agree that it's really funny lol I just was not prepared to be in full tears by that conversation in episode 3

tdlyon likes this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'm contemplating giving up on this show, I'm just not.... That into it unfortunately

6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I still really enjoy it. I just really want to know where it's actually going lol

7. Rowan5215

"Saltpeter?"

"no I don't usually carry spices"

whole show was worth it for this one joke/line delivery

8. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

That Good Vibrations scene is one of the corniest I've seen played sincerely in a really long time but I liked this one other than that

9. Well that ending was not what I expected.

10. irthesteve

I gave up a while ago unfortunately

11. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

Loved this show from start to finish.

12. Rowan5215

could not believe what I was watching with that last episode, don't even know if I loved it or hated it but it was bold as hell

show was a mess, but lovable and heartfelt and the leads were incredible

Whalejaw likes this.
  13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I could see people absolutely hating that last episode but I mainly watched this because I'm such a big fan of Jason Segel and it was so gratifying for me. So cool to watch him seemingly fully come into his own and make literally one of the most personal episodes of TV I've ever seen, I knew he had disappeared from the limelight for a while but this made me realize why, and really feel like I understood him as a person more. Loved the subtle references to Forgetting Sarah Marshall too

Between this and Mid 90s the Apatow crew is getting really good at making really personal artistic statements. Would be really interested to see Seth try to tackle something like this even though I still love what he's doing now

Olyphantastic likes this.
  14. irthesteve

should I just watch the finale? I was reading about it and it sounds cool

15. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I don't know how much you'll get out of the finale without everything that came before. Might be an interesting experiment, though, since the finale is essentially an artist's statement on the whole series.

16. irthesteve

yeah I read about the finale online and I definitely am interested in the concept, I might just watch it because why not!

17. irthesteve

So I kinda forgot about this show until I watched The One I Love the other day, and LOVED the movie, read about the director and watched his next movie (The Discovery) which stars Jason Segel and is also really good. THEN I saw that he was the director of the finale of this show, written of course by Jason Segel. So I figured, why the hell not, and I watched the finale last night as a standalone piece of TV and you know what? It totally works as a mini-movie and you need to know almost nothing about the show to appreciate it. Aside from maybe, the last 5 minutes where Jason and the cast and crew are sitting in the field, everything else was really great as a standalone Jason Segel story.

Also, just coincidentally, I watched the episode one year to the day after it aired, so that was odd.

18. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah charlie is great

also the son of Malcolm McDowell and mary steenburgen

irthesteve likes this.
  19. irthesteve

I also learned this in my whirlwind deep dive into his material, pretty cool. I'm definitely keeping an eye on his work from now on

20. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I followed the production of this so much because they were filming in my neighborhood, I even met Segel when they were location scouting, and yet I only ever watched the first episode.

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

If you're a Segel fan it's worth watching the show for the final episode alone, although I remember really enjoying the whole thing

phaynes12 likes this.