Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Disney Severs Ties With PewDiePie Over Anti-Semitic Posts • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Yeah, why is this news??????????////////111

2. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

BREAKING: Music Fans Discussing Things That Aren't Music

3. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

What is this absolutepewdiepunk?

4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Only music.fm

5. Stilicho

Newbie Supporter

Making it the audience's duty to distinguish jokingly and genuinely spewing Nazi rhetoric is problematic. Real neo-Nazis celebrated this "joke" as actually normalizing Nazism. At the end of the day Kjellberg still paid two people to promote an anti-Semitic message even if it was for the lulz.

Also check out this video: Idea Channel discusses why we should take "jokes" like this seriously.

6. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Raku and Zoshchenko like this.
  7. devenstonow

Noobie

regardless of whether it's a joke or not, whether people are being oversensitive, whether "dem ess jay dubyas" are taking over the world, etc... pewdiepie is an idiot for thinking that (modern) disney would touch anything with nazi jokes

Petit nain des Îles and Raku like this.
  8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

This is a good time to plug Mike Birbiglia's Thank God For Jokes when it's out

All I can hear as I read people defending that one guy (not gonna try and type the name) is "IM JOOOOOKING"

ChiliTacos, Jason Tate and skogsraet like this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

No probably about it.

crunchprank, dylan and skogsraet like this.
  10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

11. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I've never watched one of his videos before. Shit his voice is annoying

Petit nain des Îles and Raku like this.
  12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I saw a good twitter thread on this today.

-Film Crit Hulk

13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Thanks for posting this. I love me some Film Crit Hulk.

14. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Update: YouTube has cancelled Kjellberg's YouTube Red series and removed Kjellberg from its Google Preferred program

15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I can't believe it took them this long. Hopefully this inspires other YouTube creators to use their goddamn brains when creating content.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  16. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

I don't like the guy, I find him a bit annoying, but it was interesting reading the outrage in this thread and elsewhere before seeing what's actually in the video.

What actually happens is a million miles away from what I thought it was going to be like. Yes, it's massively immature, and he's not as funny as he thinks he is, but isn't this the type of shit we've all laughed at on shows like South Park, or 'edgy' stand up, or dare I say, in real life, at some point? Taking things like that out of the entertainment context that they were made in, is bound to not hold up to scrutiny when you pull it apart from some moral high ground. I, personally, find it a little hard to express my outrage when I know I've laughed at 'taboo' jokes just because it's a common device used in humour. Perhaps I'm talking from a place of white male privilege, but the majority of this forum are exactly that, and also the same people who will have laughed at the same brand of humour elsewhere at some point.

I'm not saying he's not an idiot for not realising what a stupid move it would be, given how huge him and his channel are, but can people just have a little perspective? It's nothing more than the age-old brand of humour where you mention the most out-of-bounds taboo shit possible. The guy isn't anti-semitic, just childish. He very obviously doesn't hold negative views of Jewish people. Can we just save the outrage for those people who are genuinely anti-semitic, genuinely racist, genuinely sexist, genuinely homophobic, etc.

Like I say, he's obviously got it wrong, but understanding the difference between genuine hate and slightly shit immature humour, is surely something that needs to be recognised. I find it disingenuous when people start being offended by shit like this. Yes he's an idiot, but you're getting offended by the wrong shit if this is striking a genuine chord with you. Don't waste your energy getting offended by stuff that isn't coming from a place of hate or offence.

Again, not saying he's in the right because he's not. It's right that Disney and other organisations would distance themselves. But, please, pick your battles guys. There's a lot of genuine real hate out there right now.

And also, it gets my back up that someone in this thread said "a movement that caused six million innocent people to be slaughtered in some of the most horrendous ways imaginable", as if this can even be mentioned in the same breath as some poor taste joke. Just, fuck, no. By saying that you're essentially dragging the holocaust onto your internet high horse. The joke is some throwaway garbage joke, don't start talking like someones endorsed the holocaust. People make poor taste jokes about taboo things all the time - I watched stand-up today where Katherine Ryan made a bunch of jokes involved rape, and I have no idea what some of you would make of that (its on Netflix, go watch it and tell me). There's always humour like that, but people only get outraged when its taken entirely out of the context it was designed for.

17. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, longest post of the year award or something. I know I'm calling people out a lot in it - but genuinely I would like to know what people think. The majority of us are white males in our twenties, we've probably enjoyed the same privilege and experienced the same cultural things, watched the same entertainment etc, so I'd just find it surprising if we really differed all that much in terms of having laughed at immature or taboo humour.

18. Nope.

19. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

So you've never watched/laughed at a majority of stand-up, or shows like South Park? It's fair enough if you haven't, obviously, and good on you if you aren't tarnished by it.

We can all jump on our high horses, fuck knows I've done it plenty in my time, but actually, it's just a little disingenuous sometimes. In cases where we call stuff out, surely we have to be measured and aim to educate rather than just use it as an opportunity to spew our own brand of hate, which is what a lot of it seems to be. Particularly when there's probably a lot of double standards at play.

20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Except you can watch the video in context and it's still awful. It's not even a joke because there's no punchline. It's just a rich guy paying people to hold a sign that encourages all jews to die because he's "Doing it for the lolz." There's no subversiveness or clever turn to it, it's just that.

21. I can tell that this isn't the same as well done satire or well done stand-up. So, the answer to your original question, "isn't this the type of shit we've laughed at in ____" ... is "nope."

What an absurd false equivalence.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I've been to like 100 stand up shows probably, I don't recall death to the Jews ever coming up

lightning13, dadbolt, Luroda and 5 others like this.
  23. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Did you watch the video? It comes across exactly the same way as that kind of humour does. At no point do you think for a second he's endorsing it or in any way not distancing himself from it. It's a misguided joke rather than anything genuinely malicious.

And I'm not sure how you think that's a false equivalence? Being negative and hateful against someone who clearly isn't saying genuinely hateful things, seems like something world calling out to me.

24. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, surely in the same way people make jokes about other taboo topics though. Again, it's mostly immature, but acting like the video, and that segment in particular, is not being constructed in a fairly typically way for that type of humour, just seems a bit odd.. because it clearly is? He seems to be showing genuine shock/disbelief. When did humour always have punch lines? Just because it doesn't fit some 'knock knock' construct doesn't mean its not humour.

25. Jason Tate Feb 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 14, 2017)
    Yes.

No, it doesn't. Unless you just really don't get what the actual joke is when something like Always Sunny... tackles a similar issue. And, exploiting anyone in this way is genuinely malicious.

You keep using this word "genuinely" as though intent matters here (it doesn't), and as though this isn't actually hateful (it is). So, I'm pointing out these two things are not equal to what is taking place here and that it is not "spew[ing] our own brand of hate." Therefore, your statement is a false equivalence.