Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Disney Moving From Netflix to Own Streaming Service • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Jake Z

Regular

While he may be wrong about the actual price structure, his overall claim about competition being good for end consumers is absolutely correct. Never before have we had so many ways to consume so much different content for such a cheap price. You may not like the aspect of Disney leaving and charging a fee for just their content, and that is fine. But in the end, technology advances and the constant threat of competition is very good for consumers.

Its really simple-adapt and satisfy consumers, or get left behind and die off.

Raku and knstadin like this.
  2. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

No way in hell I'm paying for yet another subscription based service.

3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Is it good for consumers though? General consensus that I've seen is a massive groan and annoyance at yet another subscription service. I think people seem to be a little tired of everything being a subscription.

4. These two posts back to back are amazing.

5. I like way more shows on Netflix than I do HBO. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. Jake Z

Regular

For all consumers? Of course not. The beauty is you have so many to pick from and don't have to support all of them. If the market doesn't respond to Disney's idea and make this successful, it will fail and you will see things change again. Or you can keep cable, which in many cases is cheaper. There are options for every type of consumer out there.

Raku likes this.
  7. Jake Z

Regular

Curious why? He clearly isn't interested in paying for another service, which is his right. No one is forcing him or anyone to subscribe to things they don't want to pay for. However, my guess is the Disney service will appeal to a lot of people (not me), who will see its value and decide to pay for it. Good for them.

Are you really arguing that having more services and ways to consume any content imaginable for cheaper than ever is a bad thing? Or was your point something else that I missed? I know you love Apple, Jason. Should they not attempt to launch the home speaker or anything else that already has several big players? Of course they should. Products improve, costs go down (overall), and people can choose what best suits their life.

Raku likes this.
  8. It's not cheaper than ever, that's what I'm saying. Unbundling means you'll get less for more money. The idea that this leads to cheaper prices is just not true.

(No idea what you're even trying to say about speakers or anything else. That has nothing to do with what I said.)

fenway89 and yeahrightdude like this.
  9. David- and fenway89 like this.
  10. Jake Z

Regular

Of course its not cheaper if you want to subscribe to every service out there, but most people aren't going to have any desire to need all of those different streaming services. My point was a very general one about competition and technology(not specific to this exact issue). Sorry for any confusion there.

For some people who only have internet and Netfilix/HBO service, for example, cutting the cord might make sense. As I said, for a lot of people, cable is still cheaper and may provide the best selection of content. I don't know what cable companies charge people to have HBO, Showtime, etc as part of their cable package now, but I am sure its not cheap.

My point is that people now have the ability to pick and choose products they want on a wide spectrum, and thats a good thing IMO. Its not feasible for 1 or 2 streaming services to offer everything under the sun anyway.

Raku likes this.
  11. Jason Tate Aug 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 9, 2017)
    And what I'm saying is your point about competition/price is incorrect when talking about television.

My second point is that this is probably worse for consumers, from a cost perspective, but also from an ease of use. If I was forced to sign into six different music services to listen to specific albums, I'd go back to pirating music. Disney is a strong enough brand they can leave and charge a premium, that, however, is not going to lead to cheaper Netflix. And on top of that it's a worse experience for the customer and trying to find what it is they want. Two separate services, without universal search, separate bills, separate logins, etc.

Summary: It's not going to be cheaper for customers, and the end product is worse for customers. I don't think that's a win. Good for Disney, they can do whatever they want and charge a premium for their IP, that's fine, but anyone trying to spin that as a consumer win is IMO mistaken about the content distribution market and the end product.

David-, fenway89 and Colby Searcy like this.
  12. knstadin Aug 9, 2017
    knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Woah we got a mutant guy over here... Do you see future or something? With your logic I should keep visiting Blockbuster to rent some VHS or DVDs.. all I said it was my personal opinion that I STILL believe in 5 or 6,7 years from now we will have multiple streaming platforms to choose from and prices will go cheap cause.... COMPETITION BENEFITS CONSUMERS... do you think its worth the effort to go further on and waste my time trying to explain this with one of my weakest speaking languages? Even in my native language i'd need some effort to break down the benefits of competition.. my meme said it all... "SO.. IT HAS BEGUN..." Disney made the first move.. others will follow.. prices will go down cause COMPETITION.. Its happening since forever.. but yeah .. I am wrong and i blame language.

13. Colby Searcy

If you're gonna name call, I prefer X-Men

Raku and fenway89 like this.
  14. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe I'm missing something but what competition does Disney have when they remove their content from other streaming platforms to place it on their own exclusive platform? Seems like that's the opposite of competition.

Raku, fenway89, BirdPerson and 2 others like this.
  15. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

More options to choose from? = Competition? Im probably wrong anyway

16. Another great point.

Four platforms all having Disney shows = competition. All four compete on price. Only one having Disney is not competition.

Raku, CarpetElf, fenway89 and 2 others like this.
  17. Sidebar ... what the hell is being taught in business classes these days? Cause ... um ...

David-, dylan, CarpetElf and 6 others like this.
  18. Colby Searcy

Sounds like a Monopoly to me. Maybe business economics has changed recently though hah.

fenway89 and yeahrightdude like this.
  19. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Should I try an analogy? As more streaming platforms keep popping up, they are going to fight each other and try to get (or steal) subscribers from their competitors just like telephony/internet providers, better deals, faster speeds, new package deals.. I guess my english is so bad that it makes no sense to you guys.. Missing Disney will make the other streaming platforms try to fill the gap with new series, maybe a new superhero will be born cause FK marvel and we don't need you anymore! (oh that's a benefit for a new writer, director, actor etc coming from where??..... COMPETITION!)

20. You have no idea what you're trying to talk about. Just stop. (I am laughing pretty hard at the idea that internet providers was your example though.)

21. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Well thats something.. laugh is life :crylaugh: I'll see you in 5 years when Netflix fee will be $2.99 cause ... KOMPENTISHION MPOIS (greek accent) ;-pI'm out.. Peace!

22. Turkeylegz

Trusted

What would make me consider this is if they have a huge library of older content. I would love to watch Vault Disney or a show from my childhood like Sister, Sister. I hope they have a massive library that has some obscure gems. The original content doesn't interest me as much.

Edit: I'd also love for all of Boy Meets World.

fenway89 and coleslawed like this.
  23. BirdPerson Aug 9, 2017
    BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

San Jose CA here, and it was actually cheaper for us this last time to get basic cable with a free year of HBO + internet from Comcast than to have just internet. Original intro rate for internet only was $45, we ended up at $75-80, now back down to the $45.

Side note:I've always felt like current customers should get more benefits than potential/new customers, but that's not how sales works

this comparison doesn't work because the difference is the content, not just the way in which it's delivered

edit: i see you kind of addressed that in your next part but it's all about the content, and either way, i'm not gonna go to 5 places when i can say fuck it and go sail the high seas to find what i wanted, in the same quality

Raku, fenway89 and Colby Searcy like this.
  24. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Also, knowing Disney and that "vault" shit they've pulled for years, they'll put a premium on certain things. Oh, you want access to ALL of our animated movies, not just the 15 we have in the current streaming lineup? That's fine, we'll just add $3/mo to your bill.

25. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Beat me to it

Raku, Colby Searcy and Dirty Sanchez like this.