Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Disney Looking at Potential Twitter Bid

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Bloomberg is reporting that the Walt Disney Co. is looking at making a bid for Twitter:

The Walt Disney Co. is working with a financial adviser to evaluate a possible bid for Twitter Inc., according to people familiar with the matter. After receiving interest in discussing a deal, Twitter has started a process to evaluate a potential sale. Salesforce.com Inc. is also considering a bid, working with Bank of America on the process, according to other people, who declined to be named because the matter is private.

So Disney could own the happiest place on earth, and one of the biggest collections of hatred the world has ever seen.

2. SayHello

Regular

Yup, that little comment you've made perfectly sums it up. Ha.

3. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Oh no, no no no. Cool they have Star Wars, let twitter be as is.

heymattrick likes this.
  4. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I don't know Jason, YouTube might beat Twitter for that label. It's close either way.

Dan O'Neill and ConArdist like this.
  5. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Youtube is the bottom of the barrel, agreed. The comments alone erase hope for humanity.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  6. Paul

Dying over that last comment.

7. Raku

Regular

I don't know... 4Chan, and Youtube along with other sites are more nasty than twitter.

On topic: Is it bad that this news makes me laugh? I mean it's cool that Disney wants in on twitter, but it's a bit weird. Also a bit concerning to see what stunts they might pull if they do own twitter. I don't want twitter becoming the next youtube where they constantly make dumb mistakes that piss off the userbase... Hopefully if Disney does buy, they'll be a better owner than Google is with Youtube. Seriously, Google's constant blunders with YT site is baffling.

ConArdist likes this.
  8. ZeoVGM

Regular

Twitter is a complete wasteland of anonymous racism, sexism and some of the most vile shit I've ever seen.

@Jason Tate is right in calling it "one of" the largest collections of hate.

Actually, I would say it is worse than YouTube or 4chan, which others have brought up. Patton Oswalt tweets something about the debate and he gets people replying to him with "jokes" about his dead wife. No one on 4chan is having those things said directly to them.

So no, Twitter should not be as it is. It needs moderation. If someone reports a tweet where one person calls someone else the n-word or reports a tweet where someone makes fun of a person's dead wife, their account should be suspended. After that? Banned.

I'd love Disney to purchase it because it raises the chances of that.

9. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Banning people defeats the very point. It's a platform. Let bigots be bigots, they just reveal themselves. I find Twitter highly useful but I use it to connect w/ bands.

10. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Youtube and Co. are worse. There's a reason influential ppl don't post there, generally.

Raku and Nate_Johnson like this.
  11. ZeoVGM

Regular

"Let bigots be bigots."

I'm not talking about banket bigotry. I'm talking about targeted harassment.

12. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Something to think about. I'm not that familiar on their harassment policing. Overall, I believe Twitter to be a fine platform. And I've reached out to(even "befriended" major musicians that way). I love it, for connecting, not hating.

Raku likes this.
  13. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

It's pretty random haha