Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Disney Buys 21st Century Fox

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Walt Disney Company has purchased 21st Century Fox:

The Walt Disney Company and Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. (21st Century Fox) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement for Disney to acquire 21st Century Fox, including the Twentieth Century Fox Film and Television studios, along with cable and international TV businesses, for approximately $52.4 billion in stock (subject to adjustment).

So, Disney and Amazon are going to just own everything now? Great. Wonderful.

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

:tear::worried:

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  3. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Those better be tears of lubrication in anticipation for X-Men joining the MCU!

4. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Once again...

5. WWIII might be Disney v Amazon. Can't wait to watch them duke it out! Ya know, before anti-trust laws finally come for them both.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  6. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Don’t forget Apple

Turkeylegz likes this.
  7. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I know most of the film blogs spent their time talking about how cool it'll be to see the X-Men join the MCU or potentially having the fanfare reintroduced to the Star Wars films, but this is downright fucking scary.

8. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Jesus. Isn't Disney worth like 150B? So they're shelling out more than a third of their total value for this? Seems aggressive.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  9. DillonHigh

10. failinginplace

Regular

i think the boldest part about this is their hulu takeover, but that also seems inevitable. they were in the process of building their own streaming service but bought one instead. it honestly probably saved them a few steps. I could see their service going up, being a huge success, pulling any of their content off hulu and onto their own, and over time hulu would become the third, lonely guy in the streaming wars, eventually putting themselves up for sale as cash flow slowed down, and then disney snatches them up. so this makes sense.

but i think acquiring hulu and 90% of their outstanding character licenses was the big move here, and as a comic nerd I am super on board with everything.

Raku likes this.
  11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Conspiracy theories are already rolling that Disney waited to announce this today to help drown out the reports of the FCC/Net Neutrality stuff. Lol

Raku likes this.
  12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

if i am being honest, it feels weird to not have the 21st century fanfare before a star wars film haha

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I know they don't technically qualify as a monopoly, but jesus they are getting way to close to being one. I did not want this.

14. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Oh, I totally agree haha.

Raku likes this.
  15. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

X-Men in the MCU… Fantastic 4 In the MCU! Oh my god this is awesome!

Raku likes this.
  17. DillonHigh

Have you seen The Last Stand and the new Fantastic Four? It's completely understandable why people are ignoring everything else and just zoning in on those two properties. That's how poorly handled they were, that no one even gives a fuck about the repercussions of them buying everything else. Them snagging Hulu is probably one of the bigger deals. They just skipped so many steps in setting up their own streaming platform service. But yeah... DOCTOR DOOM!!!!

Raku likes this.
  18. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

19. AVanMill17

Regular

Everyone is concerned over X-Men, meanwhile, as a lifelong fan, I'm very concerned with what they'll do with the Simpsons.

20. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

fuck them

Turkeylegz and storm like this.
  21. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I wish there was someone who could stop this. Really feel uneasy with a single company owning so many properties.

I assume this means Universal Studios now can't modify their Simpsons area? Was bad enough they couldn't modify the Marvel area.

22. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Easy problem to fix. Just merge with Disney!

23. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Not that The Exorcist tv show was ever a huge smash, but it is excellent and the ppl involved have tweeted they're worried about their fate with this deal and I am displeased.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  24. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

The FOX network will be left in shambles. That network will remain under the same control, but 70% of the FOX network content is produced by 20th TV, so I doubt they will continue a large chunk of their scripted shows. I envision the fox newtwork to be mainly reality TV. I bet there will be 6+ hours of Gordon Ramsey content per week.