Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Disney’s Splash Mountain Being Reimagined • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

I have such fond memories of this ride. The songs were such earworms and I loved some of the animatronics. I've been lucky enough to have done it a bunch of times so actually quite excited to see how it is transformed to a Princess and the Frog theme. I watched that movie for the first time a few years back and it ranks right up there as one of the hand-drawn greats for me. The music is excellent too.

zachmacD likes this.
  2. Jackthomas614

Newbie Supporter

Princess and the Frog is a gloriously underrated film in Disney's catalog, so hopefully this helps to bring more eyes to the movie as well. It's a really fun movie with great songs. Looking forward to this.

zachmacD likes this.
  3. Didn't even think of that. "Zip-a-dee-do-da" will be no more! At least we'll always have it in our heads? ha

4. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

I 100% thought this growing up. It wasn’t until I was older that I learned those characters weren’t unique to splash mountain.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I'm just stoked to see what tech they use on the rise up to the big drop.

6. soggytime

Trusted

For anyone that hasn't already, please check out the "Six Degrees of Song of the South" miniseries from the You Must Remember This podcast. It really contextualizes all of this, including how "Song of the South" was even considered offensive in its original release, so this isn't even a new argument. Disney for too long has been trying to have its cake and eat it too by burying that movie, and still profiting off its iconography with Splash Mountain.

riotspray likes this.
  7. DearCory

Regular

Most of y’all haven’t ridden the Guardians ride, and it shows.

zachmacD and Toner like this.
  8. zachmacD

Trusted

how is it?

9. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

the guardians ride is a ton of fun imo.

I hope the princess and the frog version will be as terrifying as the original, as I've gotten older that ride has just gotten weirder.

zachmacD likes this.
  10. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

Princess and the Frog just doesn't fit with the 'Frontierland' theme though. I've always been fond of the Magic Kingdom for all their attractions fitting in place with whatever land they're in. A New Orleans, jazz age movie just doesn't fit in 'Frontierland'

11. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

At least for Disneyland California, it’s pretty close to the New Orleans themed area

VivaLaPopPunk likes this.
  12. How did the super racist movie 'fit' in "Frontierland"

13. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

Yeah, it's fitting for Disneyland California, as Splash Mountain is in New Orleans Square, I believe? In Disney World though, it's in Frontierland, next to Big Thunder Mountain, Tom Sawyer Island, and the Country Bear Jamboree.. It just won't fit the theme there haha.

14. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

If you've never been to the Magic Kingdom, they have lands within the park: Adventureland, Fantasyland, Liberty Square, Tomorrowland, and Frontierland. Each attraction within each land fits the overarching theme of the land; I.e, 'The Jungle Cruise' and 'Pirates of the Caribbean' are in Adventureland, 'It's a small world' and 'Peter Pan's Flight' are in Fantasyland, 'Hall of Presidents' and the 'Liberty Riverboat' are in Liberty Square, 'Space Mountain' and 'Buzz Lightyear' are in Tomorrowland. 'Splash Mountain', 'Big Thunder Mountain', 'Country Bear Jamboree', and 'Tom Sawyer Island' make up Frontierland. The renovation of Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog which is a movie based in New Orleans in the Jazz Age, doesn't fit the Frontierland theme.

As for the racist movie aspect, yes the movie is racist, but Uncle Remus and Johnny are never portrayed, utilized, or shown in the attraction in any way. Only the animals are used in the ride.

15. ... so how did the super racist movie 'fit' in "Frontierland"?

16. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

Frontierland has to do with the 19th century wild west and pioneers..etc. Everything in Frontierland fits that theme from the rides to the restaurants and even the 'Frontierland Shootin' Arcade'

17. You haven’t answered the question in two attempts. Why?

18. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

I have answered your question. Your synapses and dendrites don't seem to be making the connection though. Would you like an in-depth lesson on Walt Disney World's Frontierland? I've been there over a dozen times, but I also did thorough research though to make sure I didn't miss anything. Frontierland combined with Liberty Square were meant to be a trip across America, chronologically. The years span from 1790-1880. It encompasses as I previously said: 'Wild West', as well as, saloons, and the gold rush (Big Thunder Mountain), as well as the geological landscapes you would see: I.e: mountains, red rocks. The Frontier is where cowboys and pioneers called home.

Now for the details as I obtained from 'disney.fandom.com' just to site my sources. Let's start at the early 1800's. The Diamond Horseshoe Saloon ( a saloon was traditionally an old west bar who served cowboys, coal miners, and other random patreons,) which is a restaurant and it serves as the movement from the West and East. Moving onto the mid 1800s, and we're moving a little west to the Rocky Mountains and the Country Bear Jamboree, which is a show where bears sing a variety of country tunes (country music is known as western music and has blues and folk roots, but it mostly known as western music). Then we move to the 1860s to Pecos Bill's Saloon (See aforementioned saloon definition if you've forgotten!). Then we finally get to the deep south in the 1870s for Splash Mountain which we've already discussed, but to reiterate: It simply shows the story of Br'er Rabbit running away from Br'er Bear and Br'er Fox. You see many frontier landscaping in the ride such as stage coaches, laundry in barrels, and the ride itself for the majority of it, is like you're floating down a river in Georgia, in a logboat. Uncle Remus, nor Johnny, are utilized, shown, portrayed in anyway; therefore, ARE NEVER SHOWN!. We've seen RoadRunner trying to run away from Wile E. Coyote, right? And now to close out the trip across west, we get to the 1880s with a gold mining themed ride that portrays Monument Valley which is in Arizona. You see many wild west scenes throughout that ride which is in a runaway mine train.

Also, all of the architecture symbolizes the Frontierland theme, with the wooden and stone buildings, to the brown and red colors, all of which are in correlation with each other across the land. Everything fits seamlessly together.

19. :facepalm:

20. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

21. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Pop punk fans continue to prove they’re the worst

Crisp X and alina like this.
  22. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

You really don't get it, do you? I couldn't be more clear. I didn't disagree with you regarding the movie, I simply said that the Princess and The Frog just doesn't fit the theme of Frontierland. Frontierland ranges from 1790-1880 and is a country based land. The Jazz Age was in the 1920 and jazz music isn't country based. I'm not sure if you're just trying to be covertly caviling, but the two themes do not mesh, plain and simple.

23. And yet they were able to make it work well enough for you with another movie where the themes included in that film were, let's put it mildly: "racist as fuck" -- so, I think it's going to be ok and the people putting together the fun kids ride will do a good job at it even if you are forced, oh no!, to see black princesses and frogs along your journey and it's not quite historically accurate enough for you.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it's about ethics in Disney journalism

DarkHotline likes this.
  25. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

Song of the South has never been on my watch list, thank you very much. I know the movie is racist, I never disagreed with you, but yet you just keep on being caviling. I enjoyed Princess and The Frog. It is a good movie, but it's just not 'Frontierland' As an avid Disney fan, I appreciate how every attraction flows seamlessly together and a New Orleans Jazz Age ride will stick out like a sore thumb between all the other architecture.